Are Motability now forcing EVs where they aren’t suitable?

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I think there are aspects of owning an EV which could be highly beneficial to disabled people.  To be able to drive for 80%+ of the time with only one pedal will make life much easier for those who struggle with lower limb issues.

It is an unfortunate truth, though, that there are limitations too.  Far too many chargers are inaccessible for wheelchair users, cables are far too heavy and bulky for those who have issues with their arms and then there’s rolling up 10m of charging cable.

Then there’s the housing caused problems, if you can’t park in one place, on your property, then you are going to struggle getting your car charged.  Motability have provided a charge card that discounts a small amount off a public charging company that has poor coverage and a poor reputation, that’s not enough to aid the disabled person , unable to work and afford expensive public charging.  With the perception of limited range (helped by the media hype) there’s a perceived requirement to charge until full, which can result in a cost up to £60 for a big battery on an expensive rapid.  Not the same as a quick fuel up for £10 or £20 when your budget is greatly limited.

But the APs are favourable.  To be honest, they’re huge incentives to go electric and, if you’re considering it, then it’s a great bonus, however, the size of some APs for sizeable ICE or Hybrid vehicles does seem to push all customers towards the BEV solution.

Who are Motability serving?  They’ll argue that they’re only passing on the prices that the manufacturers offer (partly true) and that the pressure from Government creates a pressure on the manufacturers to discount EVs.

Should Motability be concerned with aiding research into charging solutions for those with parking near but not in their homes?  Should they be working to create an affordable public charging solution, if they’re content with guiding customers towards BEVs?   Maybe simply fighting for those unable to charge or operate an EV should be a target including ensuring affords and reliable ICE and Hybrid options until legislation prohibits such cars?

What do you guys think?  Let’s keep this reasonable – the usual FUD found elsewhere will be reported and removed.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 4 replies - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      NanasRob71
      Participant

80% of new cars and 70% of new vans sold in Great Britain will now be zero emission by 2030, increasing to 100% by 2035.

Read through the ZEV mandate here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pathway-for-zero-emission-vehicle-transition-by-2035-becomes-law

Fluffy
        Participant

Mobility are not forcing anything, it is up to the customer whether they want on the scheme or not.

Month by month and year by year the EV charging infrastructure is improving. It is in it’s infancy.

Not everyone can charge at home, even less has a fuel pump attached to their house either…unless you are a farmer..lol.

Do not forget in 5 years time petrol stations will be at the same stage EV charging is now.

There will be very few dispensing petrol or diesel and will be Converted to charging stations.

Politically, The Conservatives panicked when they lost by election over a ULEZ manifesto. They lengthened Net Zero by 5 years.

In all likelihood Labour will win the election this year and move the Net Zero date back 5 years to it’s original date.

Many here bury their heads in the sand and reckon they have a choice to force abandoning EV,s and stick with petrol. But is a Supply led market and take it or leave it. Some no doubt reckon they can keep a diesel car hidden away. But petrol and diesel in the future will have equality with Class A drugs and have severe sentences. Supply of petrol and diesel will be very very limited, certainly NOT to the general public.

DialysisKing
          Participant

So I’ve recently had a new vehicle and chose a HEV in the end I was seriously tempted by a BEV but was put off by the lack of public infrastructure at a reasonable price and the fact I’m likely to move in the next year or so meaning I’d either have to wait for a charger or pay to have 1 fitted at my new property if it had a drive.

I think EV’s are great and if you can just charge at home do 90% of your journeys locally etc but for those that need to do regular long drives it can be a big turn off at the moment. For example I can regularly drive 150/200 miles a day 2/3 times a week now with current cars that’d mean either range anxiety all day or a charge at some point, I don’t have access to charging at work or any of my destinations so it would be an additional stop to charge.

I’m hoping in 3 years the infrastructure will be in place.

Participant

I do think Motability have an agenda to push EV’s for much the same reasons the government do but I suspect it has less of an impact on AP’s than the OP thinks.

AP’s are dictated by the 3-5 year life cycle cost of the vehicle less the residual value, the favourable AP’s we are seeing right now have more to do with manufacturers heavily discounting EV’s due to falling sales than Motability trying to promote them.

Personally I would love to have an EV as it would suit my use case almost perfectly but I have no way to charge at home so it becomes practically and financially unviable unless public charging becomes more accessible and affordable.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Skoda Karoq SEL.

Viewing 4 replies - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.