Another EV point (mini) saga

• This topic has 37 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Caroline Holland.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #147940 Reply
    Richard

Mines only a small one 😳 (so far….)

Anyway missed call from UKPN today, called back they wanted to arrange to replace my 60A fuse with a shiny (presumably?) 100A one.

Need meter tails checking & upgrading if not 25mm sq. We’ll put you thru to your supplier (Octopus)

Octopus “we don’t know what size tails you have we didn’t fit your smart meter, if we had we would’ve done the tails too. You need to call EDF they fitted it, they’ll know.”

Call EDF no sir you left in 2019 (not surprising at their prices) you’re not a customer we can’t help you, even tho they arranged, paid for & fitted the meter they have no intention of telling me what they or their contractor did or didn’t do.

Go back to Octopus, HELP I am losing the will to live & now have a terrible migraine & feel sick from these phone calls.

Email them including a photo (see below) of how the EDF guys left the install. In short none of the 5 tails (including the CPC) have any support, in fact some of them are just tied together with insulating tape & only held up by the start & end points, no premature collapse mitigation AND all that is directly over my bedroom door so, much dangerous in the event of a fire.

Anyway I think I’ve gotten thru & Octopus will replace the meter side tails & fit them properly with UKPN replacing the supply side tails with both covering the cost. I’d hope that Octopus would go after EDF for causing the shambles but that’s up to them.

Just got to wait & see if that’s going to happen & when. Can’t even book UKPN a date until the meter tails are replaced.

This is what it currently looks like

Smart meter install by edf

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155603 Reply
    Just2Fish

Until reading your posts I thought that I’d had a depressing day trying to get Motability to work out whether they’ve asked BP to put in the charger, they’ve no idea whether they have a department, a person, or a computer, that does that, nor whether ‘it’ has, but BP have lost it, or just not got it yet, or whether they haven’t put it in. They suggest I wait for a call from BP, but admit I won’t get it if they haven’t asked for it. They tried to blame the dealer, then admitted that it’s not his fault. Delivery of my Kona is due within a fortnight and I’m wondering whether to cut my losses now and pay for one to be put in.

#155606 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Until reading your posts I thought that I’d had a depressing day trying to get Motability to work out whether they’ve asked BP to put in the charger, they’ve no idea whether they have a department, a person, or a computer, that does that, nor whether ‘it’ has, but BP have lost it, or just not got it yet, or whether they haven’t put it in. They suggest I wait for a call from BP, but admit I won’t get it if they haven’t asked for it. They tried to blame the dealer, then admitted that it’s not his fault. Delivery of my Kona is due within a fortnight and I’m wondering whether to cut my losses now and pay for one to be put in.

Might not be a bad idea, you’ll save a fortune in fuel costs anyway, you can still get the £350 OLEV grant applied, and when BP do get their act together and contact you you can get the free subscription instead

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155609 Reply
    Just2Fish

Maybe, though the free subscription doesn’t help me much given where I live. Any thoughts about going whole hog and getting a 22kwh charger? The Kona is ‘only’ 10kwh onboard charger but future electric cars will have bigger.

#155610 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Maybe, though the free subscription doesn’t help me much given where I live. Any thoughts about going whole hog and getting a 22kwh charger? The Kona is ‘only’ 10kwh onboard charger but future electric cars will have bigger.

Do you already have 3 phase at your property?  If not, stick with 7kW as it’s really expensive to get the upgrade

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#155611 Reply
    Just2Fish

No, maybe I’ll go with PodPoint for just the 7kwh charger.

#155616 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

All the plans depend on the unlooping and upgraded 100a fuse from DNO. After that, if BP can’t get their act together then I’ll either contact our electrician who is happy to fit anything and go commando or buy a EVSE unit for him to fit, smart or otherwise  & or see what the local EVSE fitters have to say.

Scottish Power are offering the Wallbox at £350 odds for std fitting as there is an extra grant up here, might be worth a punt as they are our current power providers.

I don’t really mind paying for a unit, nor even getting the grant, I’ll make the money back in a few months anyway, but the principal of the thing grates.

The BP monthly subscription is meaningless up here, the nearest rapids are in Perth, some 45 miles away & there are none North of that in the whole of Scotland, just a few Asda 7kw dotted about.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#156011 Reply
    Caroline Holland

Just a quick update from our experience, we haven’t dealt with BP pulse, basically because they didn’t answer the phone initially so we moved to the second Motability option Pod Point. Reading this thread I am so pleased we did as now only another 3 weeks further on Pod point came out to do a survey, negotiated with our housing association directly for permission etc, plus arranged for our DNO to check the electrics. Western power duly came out and have arranged to unloop us on the 20th July. So we can only praise pod point for their efficiency and they really have taken control of the process for us, making the whole experience much less daunting now

#156014 Reply
    Richard

To be fair a lot of this hadn’t been BPs fault its been a cock up by the DNO, Octopus etc.

So latest my tails have been done

UKPN came out but apparently I can’t have 100A fuse despite this because the main overhead drop line feeding the house is only rated to 83A. You’d think the DNO would know what wires are where for properties but no.

So if I need 100A afterall (might do later as might add a hot tub etc) apparently ukpn will need to come back & replace the main feed wire. Apparently they’re now booking for OCTOBER.

I have Elm coming out tomorrow to do a survey so maybe we’ll see what they say.

BP haven’t covered themselves in glory here but the worst was the DNO & Octopus pointing fingers at each other. Octopus telling me they’d replace all the tails Inc to the consumer unit when they’re not allowed to touch those wires.

Octopus telling me to phone the old energy provider & Ukpn telling me an electrician won’t touch the cables between meter & consumer unit. It’s all just a huge pile of FUD and I’m furious about it all.

#156076 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Caroline, you said the second Motability option, Pod Point, can we go to Pod Point and have this installed free as per BP Pulse if we need to??

Update on DNO…chased them up today and SSE’s contractors are coming on Monday to unloop me, replace cabling, main fuse etc. Yay!

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#156255 Reply
    Richard

Wow OK so I had Elm Electrical out yesterday drove up to Norfolk from Southend to do a survey.

25mm2 tails CHECK

80A fuse CHECK

Room for separate “fuse box” CHECK

He signs off as happy says I’ll get a date within 2 weeks. So today I get this email:

In order to progress with your installation, the DNO (Distribution Network Operators) has informed us that remedial works will be required at your property in order to continue.

In order to proceed with your home charger installation please contact us at and we will talk you through what happens next. Once you have a confirmed date for the remedial works to be completed, we will be able to book your installation.

Please note – photo evidence of the remedial works will be required prior to installation

Need to charge your car in the meantime? Check out the bp pulse public charging network. With over 7,000 charge points across the UK, a bp pulse membership gives you access to our best value charging tariffs. Sign up today and all new members receive three months free subscription here.*

Safe journey,

What flipping remedial works, its all been done & your tech signed it off. I’ve now emailed the guy who has been dealing with my complaint to cancel BP & find a company that knows the difference from their elbow & bum.

I have now got work to be scheduled by the DNO to upgrade the main incoming cable & give me a 100A fuse but that’s on the future months away & not relevant to BP so I haven’t hot a clue what the excuse is now & quite frankly I’m done.

I’ve told motability they get another company like pod point in or come take the car away I’m not dealing with bp’s incompetence any longer

#156257 Reply
    sif

Your landlord is to blame for substandard wiring, and contractors don’t have the final say, so what the survey guy said is not relevant. Get angry with the landlord and make the case that investing in the place makes sense.

#156261 Reply
    Caroline Holland

Hi yes podpoint operating for Motability

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Another EV point (mini) saga
Your information: