Air con temp in winter

• Creator
    Topic
  • #166375 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I have my air con on most days in my Toyota CHR my temp in car is set to 20 is this what most people keep at in winter or do you just put in auto and let the air con set what’s best ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #166561 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I set my temp to 19c and leave it in auto, if i gets a little cold i just boost the heated seat for a bit. In really cold months i pre heat the car in the drive way then the heat pump does the rest rather than sapping the battery trying to heat the cabin, if im alone then i have the luxury of hitting the “driver only” button then it focuses on the driver area only.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#166564 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

19 degrees, Stuart? You must wear a vest …

#166565 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

19 degrees, Stuart? You must wear a vest …

lol, i like to be comfy, can`t do with it been like an oven.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by Stuart.

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#166607 Reply
    Warkman

Always best to leave your air on on with a set internal temperature.

if you turn off the air con, yiu will have problems with the steaks drying out, plus air con controls humidity inside the car.

remember the old pre air con days when you had to remove moisture from the inside of the windscreen?

the amount of mpg effect is extremely negligible

#166641 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Had auto on today 20 degrees was lovely on motorway many thanks for all your help

#166855 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Last night we had meal at pub came out 9.30 pm started off was in auto temp 20 got 100 yards and windscreen steamed up  pressed the windscreen defogger button and cleared very quick but surely this shouldn’t have happened with climate control on auto ?

#166857 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Auto does its best. If the humidity in the car suddenly rises, say if you get in with wet clothes it may not cope. Also the general humidity level in the car may be high, moisture trapped in the absorbent surfaces like the seats and carpets, if you’ve not kept the climate control on auto in the past.  If the screen cleared quickly using the defogger then it’s doing its job.

#166858 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The aircon in our old Honda Jazz packed up years ago and moisture in the car builds up over time for no particular reason. The car doesn’t get used much. When that happens it mists up readily.  So I run a dehumidifier in it for a few hours and surprisingly it often sucks out a cupful of water just from normal moisture from the air trapped in the absorbent surfaces like seats and carpets.  That fixes it for a month or two.

#166859 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou for reply wigwam yes the de flogger cleared screen in seconds didn’t happen again on way home was 10 degrees outside

#166868 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’ve just realised I’m just pressing auto button and not air con button should I press both ?

#166869 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I don’t know your car Mike, but I should think you need both on.

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Air con temp in winter
Your information: