Air con temp in winter

• Creator
    Topic
  • #166375 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I have my air con on most days in my Toyota CHR my temp in car is set to 20 is this what most people keep at in winter or do you just put in auto and let the air con set what’s best ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #166376 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Seem to be about 22, however messing about with the control screen thing can get distracting..😳</p>
    Voice control well that can be a laugh too..🤨

My temp is up and down all the time, 4am fishing, high then return journey back down low, however possible wet boots cause more messing around moving the air direction flow from my feet due to steamy windows..🙄

#166380 Reply
    Wigwam

I’ve found the climate control on the XC40 PHEV to be the best I have ever had. It might be because both heating and cooling are  electric that it works so well, responding to outside temperature changes, sunshine etc instantly. And of course it brings the inside up to temperature within moments of starting up. I have it set to Auto at 20 degrees and have never needed to change it, except on a couple of occasions I’ve moved the fan up one from the lowest to get a bit more airflow.

#166382 Reply
    ajn

Wigwam I seem to be getting a fogged front screen if air con is off, so mainly on, otherwise I press the electric screen heater, at least I think it’s named that..

As stated wet fishing boots don’t help I guess, or the 4am temps.

Seems air con on is the only way

#166386 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

So basically my climate control set in auto knows the temp outside and sets itself ? Never had it before on my Golfs

#166387 Reply
    Wigwam

Mike that’s the way it works. It knows the inside temperature and humidity and the outside temperature and even the level of sunlight and adjusts itself to maintain comfort. And ajn, the same. If there’s wet stuff in the car, you probably just need to turn the fan up to dry it quicker along with a few minutes of the screen heater.  On Auto it should deal with the humidity.

#166388 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

Best to keep air-conditioning on all the time, keeps moisture out of the car thus preventing fogging and doesn’t make much difference to mpg these days.

I’m set to 22 for autumn and will likely go to 25 as we get into winter.

#166404 Reply
    ajn

Yes auto is great Wigwam for keeping things clear, but tends to jump up and down the speed of the fans and can be loud..

I like more of a gentle hum from the blowers with my music not to loud for driving, however auto air con, well 😣

#166406 Reply
    struth
    Participant

not sure if ive used auto.. i have mine currently at 22.

#166420 Reply
    Wigwam

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Ajn, the fan will only speed up to the max setting you allow. Mine is set to autofan 1.</p>

#166422 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Mine is set at auto and temp at 20, summer or winter makes no difference.

The only time its changed is to either switch it off if I feel like opening a window or to put on max defrost for a cold morning. Climate Control is just that, no need to fiddle with things.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#166424 Reply
    ajn

Must admit Wigwam I’ve not really looked into setting things if I’m honest   I simply just get in and go, shouting and pressing at stuff I have no idea of using..😳

Bring back the slider thing with red 🟥and blue🟦, the twisting nob with numbers on…

➕ ➖ ⬆️➡️↙️

#166426 Reply
    ajn

I also tend to like fan number 1 or 2, I’m going to fathom out how to set it..

I’d like temp 22, fan speed 2, up and middle, leaving out the lower foot area..

Oh yeah and leave on A/C

Just use window demist when needed.

#166436 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes I tend to have fan on one or two that’s when not in  auto but when hot  I put it up to 4 and 5

• This reply was modified 6 days, 18 hours ago by Menorca Mike.

#166438 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I must admit odd times I do switch off and open window I know I shouldn’t but sometimes I live on the edge

#166440 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Do the windows open? I’ve not tried that. What’s it like?

#166441 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

On a sunny day in roadworks I always get an urge to do down a window

#166513 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Yes I tend to have fan on one or two that’s when not in auto but when hot I put it up to 4 and 5

You still enjoying the C-HR Mike? Glad you got it? I keep seeing a stunning lime green & black one around my way. It’s a real head turner. Thoroughly enjoyed my 3-years of ownership of one. Even though I see more & more on the roads nowadays, they still look fabulously futuristic in an otherwise world of dull, drab modern car design.

#166514 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Solent I love it love to drive in EV mode love the height the seats the looks etc did you have your air con on a lot when you had yours on one or two bars on the display ? Not tried the heated seats yet or the park assist

#166516 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Mike, I only put the aircon on in the Summer months when it was sweltering outside. In the Winter I just pushed the toggle switch up a few clicks to 19/20 as I can’t stand being cold! I must say the heated seats in the C-HR are the best I’ve ever known. In the depths of Winter, it took 2 minutes until my bum & lower back were really warm… like I’d been in a toaster and was about to pop up!

In the 3-years I had my C-HR – I never once used the park assist. Didn’t need to.

#166518 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Says frost at weekend Solent so will try the heated seats glad they warm up quick

#166531 Reply
    Olpk

Auto doesn’t set its own temperature.

Auto keeps the car at the temperature YOU set.

If you press Auto and set the car at 20 degrees then the car will turn the Airtcon on and off or up and down to keep the cabin at that temperature.

In manual mode if you set 20 then the car just puts air out at a continuous temperature at the speed you set and doesn’t attempt to maintain the cabin temp.

#166534 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Auto doesn’t set its own temperature. Auto keeps the car at the temperature YOU set. If you press Auto and set the car at 20 degrees then the car will turn the Airtcon on and off or up and down to keep the cabin at that temperature. In manual mode if you set 20 then the car just puts air out at a continuous temperature at the speed you set and doesn’t attempt to maintain the cabin temp.

. So it’s best in auto then ?

#166535 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Sounds like auto be more economical too ?

#166539 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I was telling you this last year Mike! Put it on Auto, set the temperature you prefer to live in, then forget it.  Car makers go to a lot of trouble to do things to make our lives easier.

#166542 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I will Wigwam many thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Air con temp in winter
Your information: