A few pictures of aeroplanes for those who enjoy such things.

This topic contains 56 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mitch 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #107919 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

WW,

My first solo flight was in an old ‘all metal’ glider.

The glider was owned by one of the shopkeepers in the village where I lived, and because of costs etc, we used to attach the tug rope to the back of a really old 4×4 Landrover, which would drive as fast as it could towards the edge of the hill- just fast enough to get the glider airborne, and then at the last moment, the land rover would turn to the left and away from the edge.

The glider would be airborne by now, just , but not much higher than the land rover and it regularly took a bit of a stomach churning dip as it left the hill and we jettisoned the tug rope!

Even though it was now lower than the take off point, it was around 14-1500 feet high over the valley and when it reached the village, it was flying at about 2000 feet ?

Elf n safety – what’s that?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Mike 700.
    #107921 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Sounds a bit like the gliding club at Whipsnade, but at least we got an aero-tow.  Interesting sitting in an upcurrent looking down on the elephants in the zoo.

#107923 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Yup, the things we used to do eh?

#107990 Reply

Tharg

Just when I thought “It can’t get much worse”
    I log on to find I must write stuff in verse.
    So, Mike 700, I’ll answer your rhyme
    With apologies that I just took so much time.

I, also, was offered a Lightning flight
    The medico’s said that that was allright.
    But fate’s fickle finger then interposed
    The mag I was writing it up for was closed!

Now, I can’t afford a South African flit…
    So I’ll save up me pennies and try for a Spit’.

#108007 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I’m proud to boast that the company I work (ed) for supplies the Infrared Search & Track Dome and Imaging Module for the Eurofighter.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#108104 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Thales? Was Barr & Stroud?

#108485 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Here’s another…

#109576 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Two more..

#109577 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

#110076 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

My childhood was spent in NZ, next to the RNZAF training runway at Wigwram. Used to see Bristol Freighters, the odd Vampire, Bell Iroquois, but the best was the regular formation flying and acrobatics/dogfights done by the Harvards, usually 5-6 at a time, right over our house. Regularly saw Skyhawks & the odd F-111 Aardvark from Australia

Wife No. 2 lived on the river in Pitlochry, often had fast jets skimming the river/dam, if you stood on the dam you felt the heat/wash as they came over then dropped down below you. Best thing there was a Hercules doing the same, looked enormous!

But loudest of all for me was a very low level flyby and full throttle climb of a B-52 at Aberdeen airport, my work was at the end of the runway, I sat looking straight at the beast as it came in & it came right over the building at a few hundred feet, shaking everything in it…Fabulous.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#110128 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Lots of air activity at Bournemouth (Hurn if you’re as old as me) today. Looks like aircraft are coming here to park up for the duration. Two Virgin Airbuses came from Prestwick and three BA flights from London and Cardiff. It’s a world problem – where to put aircraft that are normally mostly in the air.

#110184 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Two more British Airways Airbuses en route to Bournemouth just now.  If I was allowed out I’d pop down there to count the tail fins. Must be getting quite crowded by now.

#110197 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

…and another one.

#110203 Reply

Tharg

Wigwam – where are they going to put ’em? I use Hurn whenever possible (really helpful staff, not Gatwick Zombies) and I know it’s pretty small. Will they move the Guppy? And if they want to dump that sad, red hunter, can I have it please?

#110204 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

They seem to be stacking them on the old North South runway- can’t be sure as Although I can see the approach from here, I can’t think of an excuse to drive that way!

Fourth of the day coming in now:

BA9255 from London to Bournemouth https://fr24.com/BAW9255/24454091

#110208 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

And here it is…

#110210 Reply

JS

Nice to see yourself keeping occupied Wigwam. I wonder if the low flying MOD Jet that scared the life out of me whilst mowing the lawn was on a Ensential Journey.

#110217 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Quite possibly not JS – reminds me of my nephew when in the army taking a 4 ton truck on a round trip from Boscombe Down to Bassingbourn because he’d left a pair of boots behind.  Put it down as driver training.

#110221 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Another BA Airbus just left Heathrow to park up at Bournemouth. The novelty has worn off now, so I’m going to have to find something else to do.  Mrs W keeps mentioning decorating…</p>

#110225 Reply

Tharg

Wigwam – forever in your debt: why had I not heard of FR site before? Marvellous place, will help keep me happier stuck at home!

#110228 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

The six of the day is coming in from Gatwick shortly Tharg. Keep up the watch for me!

#110245 Reply

Tharg

BA A320 en route now. Over Pompey at this moment.

#110246 Reply

Tharg

There’s Diamond DA 42 doing circuits at Hurn. Ought to get out of the 320’s path I reckon.

Stewth, that site is deadly. I do have other things I ought to do! lol

#110247 Reply

Tharg

Diamond landed. A320 on long downwind leg.

I must stop this!

#110250 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

And here he is:

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
Reply To: A few pictures of aeroplanes for those who enjoy such things.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: