A few pictures of aeroplanes for those who enjoy such things.

This topic contains 56 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  mitch 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #105736 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

#105737 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

#105746 Reply

joss
    Participant

Oo-er Vulcan’s used to be based at Doncaster, now an airport. Second pic is it a meteor ? 3rd pic spitfire and hurricanes?

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#105749 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Quite right joss, a Gloster Meteor in the 2nd pic, but the 3rd are all Spitfires of various Mks.

#105754 Reply

joss
    Participant

We used to have a massive air show at RAF Finningley which as previous mentioned, home to a Vulcan squadron. Finningley had one of the longest runways in the country.

https://finningleygallery.smugmug.com/XH558

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#105758 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

Oh, Joss – those snaps are brilliant. Wonderful subject, of course, but really well taken. Are they your own? And, you will regret posting them near me: I have a bit of a history with aviation in general. And a particular one with the Vulcan: was at Farnboro when one was rolled as part of display. Saw what must have been one of XH558’s last flights (held over my house before the tragic Hunter crash at Shoreham). Also looked DOWN on a pair from my office as they flew up the Thames, quite against orders, to prove the Russians COULD get through our air defences. More later…

#105792 Reply

joss
    Participant

No Tharg not my work. Just a good link stored in my bookmarks.

Guy Martin https://www.guymartinracing.co.uk/vulcan-xh558/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  joss. Reason: added link

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#105800 Reply

Craig

The vulcan is still based at Finningley I can hear the engines when they test them from where I live. A pity it won’t fly again.

I used to love going to air shows and even got vip tickets in 1977 for the queen’s jubilee.

#105803 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The Nissan plant is Sunderland is built on an old Airport, next to the factory at the end of the old runway is an air museum. A Vulcan landed there in 1983 and was left to rot, I went to see it a few years ago and it was a very sad sight indeed. This thread made be look up the website for the air museum and low and behold the team that restored Bluebird have been working on the old thing. I have so much admiration for these people.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/02/bluebird_project_start_a_vulcan_engine/

#105808 Reply

Georgie

Oh for the Days of Farnborough Air Show.  One year Concorde did a very low fly past and everyone (who could) instinctively stood to watch her pass.  Beautiful memory.

It used to be a wonderful 5 day Trade Show followed by Public Open Days with air displays etc. over the weekend.  Now it’s just the 5 day Trade Show with Public Access on the Friday, but with nothing extra laid on.

Cheapskates.

#105809 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Unfortunately flying is too normal these days for most people to care about the technology of aircraft or wonder at the impossibility of it all!  Standing under the span of the wings of the Concorde at Yeovilton, made me wonder, even though I well understand why aircraft fly.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Wigwam.
    #105835 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

You are so right, Georgie. Farnborough was a wonderful display. I went in the 50s and 60s when only British aeroplanes were on show (this was before the USA demolished our aviation industry). As above, I saw the Vulcan rolled. Also some amazing one-offs: the Fairey Rotodyne, VTOL airliner lifting on a giant rotor, spun on bleed air from two turboprops (if you think Chinooks are loud, should have heard this). Two-seat Harrier (G-VTOL) flown by test pilot John Farley in pure vertical take off and then straight up, no leaning, to about 10-15,000ft. Or Black Arrows aerobatic team flying nine Lightnings – the sound and physical experience of 18 Avons coming in to re-heat at the same time never forgotten.

I have much more and some good snaps (not mine) of the early shows. I could post some of these photos here if folks are interested (and if I can work out how to do it!)

#106581 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

As it’s rather quiet over here in off-topic, how about these?

#106582 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

#106587 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

The last airshow I went to was Wings & Wheels at Dunsfold a few years ago, to take my sister’s youngest to see the cars (his main interest) and because both my sister & myself rather enjoy aircraft.

During the display by the Typhoon it used reheat & a child started to cry & its mother complained bitterly that they shouldn’t be allowed to be that noisy.

After growing up in Warton & having lived in Farnborough, I can honestly say that a Typhoon on reheat is patheticically quiet compared to some of the aircraft we experienced daily as kids, such as the Lightning chase plane when they were testing the MRCA (Tornado) prototypes.

Society is changing, snowflakes are demanding their delicate ears are not inconvenienced yet they don’t care about their security.

I’ll always remember fondly those summer afternoons spent sitting down the end of the runway, waiting for Lightning & Tornado to take off on full reheat right over our heads, & security coming over to chat as they knew that our parents worked at BAe & we would soon notice any would be Rusky spies looking out of place in the area.

As for my ears, well, they’re still good despite the noise. On the other hand the snowflake has probably gone deaf from measles due to some antivaxxer sympathy.

#106588 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

When Concorde was flying its daily service to New York, I was living in Walton on Thames.  It’s take-off “noise abatement” route caused it on alternate days to make a tight turn above the town.  Everyone knew to expect it just before midday, and conversation was impossible while it went over.  The noise and reverberation was quite something as was the sight of it passing.  I don’t recall anyone complaining about it.

#106589 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant
    #106611 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Take off from Leuchars 1993

#106612 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

Gothitjulie – how very true. Modern aircraft with re-heat are whisper quiet compared even to airliners of the 50s/60s. The standard early 707s had a soundprint equal to or sometimes greater than Concorde. Lovely Comets could be more than quiet too! I had the very good luck to get a press pass to Lockheed’s stand at a Fairford air tattoo. The enclosure was very close to runway, from which Concorde did a fantastic t/off with all crackers lit. Now THAT was an impressively BIG sound.

Also agree with Wigwam. It is a bit quiet here. Will try to dig out ancient Farnboro snaps and get them up here.

#106613 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

Wigwam – just seen latest pic. The Victor was a seriously good-looking aeroplane!

#106614 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Get yours free, Tharg, from RAF Marham. My garden’s too small.

#106615 Reply

Tharg
    Participant

Yup, mine too, sadly. Might just get a Lightning in if mounted on tail and pointing straight up. However, this might involve considerable flack from neighbours and parish authorities and marching orders from Mrs T.

Hardly fair, really, considering that the French councils stick Mirages on roundabouts everywhere.

#107838 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Don’t think this one will buff out…

#107910 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Yup, mine too, sadly. Might just get a Lightning in if mounted on tail and pointing straight up. However, this might involve considerable flack from neighbours and parish authorities and marching orders from Mrs T. Hardly fair, really, considering that the French councils stick Mirages on roundabouts everywhere.

a lightning Tharg,

To ride in a Lightning old son is definitely enlightening
    And also, well it can also be very damn frightening
    Especially for the first time of asking
    And getting that MOD permission , well, that was extremely tasking

But after the medical oh yes, a medical, and an interview too
    The letter of permission finally, yup,  finally came through
    And into the T5 trainer this young pup did get
    Perspiring, apprehensive, yet happy and later better yet

Strapped in tightly, & down the old runway we did blast
    God it really did seem ever so bloody fast
    But the guy sitting next to me was so cool, & so calm
    Me , well my fear was making me ever so warm

In seconds it seemed, we reached 12000 ft
    ( my face by know was as white as a sheet )
    Then he rolled it over, not once but twice
    And up came my no. 42 , with fried rice

Time goes by so quickly, and it was soon time to return
    He then said I think we’ll just test the afterburn
    Wow, my back was suddenly pressed to the seat
    All of the blood drained from my feet

But the G suit was working and keeping me calm
    Also of course it was the real reason I was so warm
    Then down we went at a whole load of klicks
    Landing smoothly & quietly, no showing off, and no tricks

I climbed out with a bloody big smile on my face
    Only to fall on my arse – what a disgrace
    My legs were so weak from being up there
    But do you know what Tharg, I didn’t effing care’ !

#107917 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

What memory to have Mike. I envy you!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
Reply To: A few pictures of aeroplanes for those who enjoy such things.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: