WPMS Grants

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159487 Reply
    Brian Hindmarch

Do any WPMS recipient get the auto box grant even if there is no manual alternative , I have heard different  opinions some say yes some no ! so let me know your experience with this.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159489 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

The grant is to cover the difference of the additional cost of an auto box over a manual up to a maximum of £600. However, if there’s no manual alternative, there’s no need for the grant so it won’t be paid.

VW Tiguan R-Line Tech auto in nice shiny black. 🙂

#159491 Reply
    Brian Hindmarch

That’s the way I read it too, I have never had it  when there is  no manual equivalent . But some people have stated they still get the grant when there is no manual version on here a few months back, thought the must have got it wrong ..

#159492 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

That’s the way I read it too, I have never had it when there is no manual equivalent . But some people have stated they still get the grant when there is no manual version on here a few months back, thought the must have got it wrong ..

If they did, they shouldn’t have.

#159500 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

when i was looking at the bmw i3 18 months ago i was told the grant applied and could get it, in the end i changed early so lost out as you can only have 1 grant every 3 yrs. best to check once youve found a car.

any electric car in that case as they phase out the ice version will fall foul otherwise.

#159505 Reply
    ajn

Massive profits involved in this scheme, the grant thing to me seems as if we’re begging for help, gives off the we’re the poor relation attitude to the scheme..

Dip in to the millions and help people out ffs, cost me a fortune just for auto transmission that I need…

#159507 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

Massive profits involved in this scheme, the grant thing to me seems as if we’re begging for help, gives off the we’re the poor relation attitude to the scheme.. Dip in to the millions and help people out ffs, cost me a fortune just for auto transmission that I need…

Nonsense. The WPMS scheme was designed to support those in receipt of a war pension which can only be awarded for an injury attributed to service.

To call it begging is bordering on offensive. If you regard it as such, stop claiming it. Simple.

#159510 Reply
    ajn

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion…

#159524 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Going back to the initial question posed in the thread, yes for many years the grant was paid to help cover the difference in advance payment between the manual and automatic versions of the same vehicle.

However, nowadays in cases where there is no direct correlation between the manual and automatic versions of the ‘same vehicle’, Veterans UK are taking a more pragmatic view and using a ‘closest vehicle’ as the metric.

I know a piece of work is being put forward, via the Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee (VAPC) for North East England this coming September regarding the future of the ‘automatic transmission allowance’ if, as or when the majority of vehicles on the scheme become solely automatic due to being battery powered.

There are several options being put forward by the VAPC to try to retain the allowance in some form (alongside the other WPMS grants for such as hoists, swivel seats, hand controls etc etc).

#159531 Reply
    DougieB
    Participant

The issue is that some people simply can’t drive manuals due to the nature of their injury, hence the allowance.

Whilst I appreciate the inevitable (if crazy IMHO) move in that direction, there will always be those for whom a fully battery powered vehicle is impractical so if Motability if to continue to function, it will have to retain a degree of flexibility or people will simply go elsewhere.

#159552 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Not a military man myself but the help for ex-military folk for auto’s I think is a good thing without the need for ticking forms and climbing over hurdles and just wished that Motability had such a system for civvy disabled drivers too.

It’s my biggest complaint about the Motability scheme that have no allowances for auto boxes for those like myself who had a full driving license but had to give it up because I became disabled.

Same goes for those who are disabled and had no choice but to learn to drive auto’s.

As the say “you don’t have to be in the army to fight in the war”. 🤔

In less than a decade this will become less of a thing with more and more EV’s but for now the fight goes on.

#160313 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

To answer the original question.

I queried this with the Grants team in March 21 (The Grant is paid by the SPVA by the way, via Motability Grants).

I asked with the advent of EV’s, and them being all in essence, automatics, what was the situation. The grant will be automatically applied up to the maximum £660 was the response.

I ordered the Kona Electric and received the cheque a few days after delivery.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#160360 Reply
    Mad-4-Mac

I receive WPMS and have to drive automatics. This is the first I’ve heard of a grant for auto drivers. How do I get this grant? Or who do I need to speak to?

#160366 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

just ring the grants team at motability and they will walk you through it.

its a one time deal once youve applied and been approved its on your file so when you change vehicle its done automatically you dont have to reapply every changeover. its one grant in 3 years so if you change early you wouldnt get it that time around.

other than that its easy. give them a ring.

#160424 Reply
    Mad-4-Mac
    Participant

I have just spoken to motability about the grant and they told me, because the car I already have is an automatic and therefore suitable for my needs I wouldn’t get the grant but could extend my current lease for a further 2 years. I have already ordered my next vehicle so don’t really want to extend.

#160426 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

I have just spoken to motability about the grant and they told me, because the car I already have is an automatic and therefore suitable for my needs I wouldn’t get the grant but could extend my current lease for a further 2 years. I have already ordered my next vehicle so don’t really want to extend.

As you haven’t applied for the WPMS Motability automatic transmission grant previously, you need to contact Veterans UK on 0808 1914 218, or e-mail them at:

veterans-uk@mod.gov.uk

Tell them you are in receipt of WPMS and due to your accepted disability, you wish to claim the automatic transmission grant (and/or any of the other adaptions grants available from Veterans UK).

They will pass it onto the Supplementary Allowances team at Norcross who will deal with it. You may get a self assessment form to complete, or of they can give the go ahead via your documernts held (mine was an easy ‘yes’ as I am devoid of a lower left leg and have a prosthetic, however I have now left Motability anyway so no more grants).

Once you have been approved once, as Mitch says above, you are automatically ‘approved’ for future changes of vehicle every 3 years.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: WPMS Grants
Your information: