When you get to state pension age do you lose the car ?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #157900 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Do you lose your motability car when you get the state pension ?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Menorca Mike.

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #157904 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

No Mike. Once you have the entitlement you keep it for life as long as you still get the qualifying benefit. You can’t get the entitlement for the first time over a certain age (60?), which might be why you are asking the question.

#157907 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Ok Thankyou a friend told me he knew a lady at 67 who’s car was took off her he said her husband said she can’t have it now she has state pension ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#157910 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Ok Thankyou a friend told me he knew a lady at 67 who’s car was took off her he said her husband said she can’t have it now she has state pension ?

I just double checked against the eligibility checker on the Motability website and there are no questions about age. As long as you have the higher rate mobility of PIP (or equivalent) with at least 12 months remaining you are eligible. You can’t apply for PIP for the first time once you reach state pension age, but if you are already in receipt of it when you reach that age then it carries on indefinitely.

#157955 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Forgot the max age you can claim first at but 63 or 64 i think.  Mine is set to last til im about 72 at moment as they added a couple of yours on to mine last year during pandemic.

Lady may have ran out of motability or maybe lost licence

#157957 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Forgot the max age you can claim first at but 63 or 64 i think. Mine is set to last til im about 72 at moment as they added a couple of yours on to mine last year during pandemic. Lady may have ran out of motability or maybe lost licence

Its not a set age, it’s ‘state pension age’, which varies depending on date of birth. As long as you have it by then you are OK.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: When you get to state pension age do you lose the car ?
Your information: