What’s the point of electric cars?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #130545 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’m not looking for advantages or disadvantages over conventional vehicles, and accept that roadside pollution is improved by their adoption.  But beyond that why are government’s and industry sinking so much money into their development?  Why are we being forced to move to electric cars by edict when in any other areas the consumer chooses goods on their perceived merits?

If it is a response to “climate change” where is the evidence it will make any difference to the climate?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #130546 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

It’s due to climate change.

Majority of cars not use fossil fuels.  Fossil fuels will eventually run out, release lots of C02 into the atmosphere as well as lots of other gases and dusts that are not good for the climate or for us breathing in.

Electric cars mean that all the fuel can be generated without any fossil fuels by changing electricity generation to using renewables such as hydro/wind/solar as well as nuclear power generation.

It’s been proven that co2 is causing the climate to change and that is down to co2 being release by humans.  If the co2 levels drop then this will slow/stop and unnatural climate change.  This has all been shown to be true and there is plenty of scientific evidence to back it up.

#130548 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks alan1302. Please point me to incontrovertible evidence that co2 is causing climate change?

#130549 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Thanks alan1302. Please point me to incontrovertible evidence that co2 is causing climate change?

I could show you things – and I am sure that you could find them on Google – but I think you have your mind made up that it doesn’t so is it worth me even looking?  I think probably not.

#130555 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It was a genuine question I’ve asked of many people. There’s plenty of evidence that co2 levels do not affect the climate to any measurable extent but no one has shown me evidence it does. I would like to be persuaded.

#130556 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Ok, if it is genuine then the 3 below show that co2 does have a measurable affect on the climate:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/environment/heres-what-real-science-says-about-the-role-of-co2-as-earths-preeminent

https://skepticalscience.com//empirical-evidence-for-global-warming.htm

I would be interested to see a few links from you showing that it does not have a measurable affect as I’ve never seen or read anything that’s been properly researched and peer reviewed that shows otherwise.

#130572 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

alan1302, be assured I will study what you posted in those links.

#130575 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

No, no, no, it has nothing to do with emissions & climate change, it’s about efficiency, if I burn petrol in a petrol engine it’s 20% to 35% efficient, an EV is over 77% efficient.

This is about money, & more to the point not spending so much, purely economic.

Us EV drivers realise that using less oil also means more tarmac to spare for more roads that we can drive on, another important win win situation.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What’s the point of electric cars?
Your information: