What you watching, mark it out if 10

• Creator
    Topic
  • #141580 Reply
    Brydo

“The night manager” 8 out of 10.

“Blood lands” 8 out of 10.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #141604 Reply
    joss

On netflics: SnowPiecer. TV series Snowpiercer is set in 2021, seven years after the world becomes a frozen wasteland, and follows the remnants of humanity who have taken shelter on a perpetually moving luxury train. Designed and built by the eccentric billionaire Mr. Wilford, the train consists of 1,001 carriages and circles the globe 2.7 times per year.

The constant motion of the train provides energy and prevents the passengers from freezing as well. Since the catastrophe, the train’s population has become rigidly separated by class, caught up in a revolutionary struggle against the strictly imposed social hierarchy and unbalanced allocation of limited resources. The show explores issues of class warfare, social injustice, and the politics of survival.  10/10

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by joss.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#141607 Reply
    brydo

I almost started watching that joss but thought it would be a bit one dimensional, will have a look at episode 1 and see how I get on with it.

Watching the ” mentalist” for the second time, 9 out 10 the first time 6 out of 10 this time.

“californication” is worth a watch 7/10

#141611 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

Just finished watching all 5 seasons of The Expanse. An 8 out of 10, decent enough sci-fi.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#141614 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Favourite from All 4’s Walter Presents World Drama at moment in Inspector Cain. Glamorous (and disabled) South of France Flic. Drives around in Saab convertible, throwing (literally) wheelchair in rear seats. Silly plots, great scenery and just fun to watch. 8/10.

Just finished the Beeb’s  The Mallorca Files. Again, great fun. Properly filmed on the island. Only one or two Brit actors, all others locals. Intriguing, fizzy, even more good scenery. Easy to watch. Fun. 8/10

Eagerly awaiting new series of Shakespeare & Hathaway (BBC) and Brokenwood Mysteries (Kiwi production). Both lightweight, fun, good actors doing intriguing characters.

#141618 Reply
    brydo

NewYork1 I’ve tried to get into the expanse but it hasn’t grabbed me, sometimes two or three episodes are required before judging.

Tharg same with “The Mallorca files” great scenery but story line and acting 4/10, but is an easy watch and anything with good weather is a bonus.

Watched the first three episodes of “Clarice” carries on where “silence of the lambs” ends. 8/10

#141624 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Horses for courses, Brydo. I like the Mallorca thing because, as you say, it’s easy. I’m afraid that is mostly what I want from TV these days: lightweight, easy, escapism. That said, I’d give The Night Manager a full 10/10.  I think the days of really good drama on TV are pretty much over in the UK. Will we ever see stuff as brilliant, challenging and powerful as, say Edge of Darkness or Tinker, Tailor etc. Or, from a different time, the original Quatermass? The Night Manager came damn close but it was alone in a desert of mediocrity. That’s why we watch so much “world” drama – nearly all on All 4. The Europeans, particularly Belgium and Germany, are making some brilliant stuff. And they are not afraid to put a dash of wit and humour into it.

#141683 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

@ Brydo The Expanse is definitely not a single episode style sci-fi the stories in the seasons span over several episodes at a time. So you do have to invest some time into it.

Also watched recently.

The Alienist 9/10

Mindhunters 9/10

Dark (German dubbed over in english). 8/10

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#141738 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Talking of really good UK tv, there is Reilly Ace of Spies which is/was going out on something like Drama channel (or Alibi?). Sam Neill (best James Bond we never had!) plays the lead brilliantly and there are wonderful parts for a range of marvellous actors; Leo McKern, Bill Nighy and the astounding David Burke who does a spine-chilling Stalin. Powerful story, engaging characters and a wonderful sense of place. 10/10

#141739 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nearly forgot – a brilliant role for David Suchet as an eccentric one-eyed Chinese police detective. Worth watching just for this!

#141774 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Just discovered some Noggin the Nog videos on YouTube. Absolutely wonderful. Completely wonky animation but just brilliant stories and characters, all put together with a gentle humour and wit. 10/10.

Will now try to hunt down Ivor the Engine and Captain Pugwash!

#141796 Reply
    Georgie

You cannot go wrong with Firmin and Postgate.  I have Bagpuss and Noggin on DVD, keep meaning to get Clangers and Ivor – parp -pa-parp-parp!

#141797 Reply
    Georgie

Having disconnected the aerial years ago we stick to Netflix, Amazon and the interwebs.  It doesn’t matter to us if the terrestrial shows that we watch are a bit out of date by the time they turn up.  Hell, we’re even watching the odd episode of the original Professionals!

Recently finished binge-watching The Handmaid’s Tale – I give that a solid 9/10

Snowpiercer – 8/10

Homecoming – 8/10

Just started Utopia.  Only two episodes in but it looks promising.

Waiting for the next season of Carnival Row (a good 8/10) and working our way through all four seasons of The Expanse again before starting season 5 (rated 12 – 15 out of 10, imho).

#141826 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Dear Georgie… so glad it’s not just me who likes old (and some new) kids’ TV. Was enchanted by Night Garden – so bonkers you had to like it. Have had to stop recording Shaun the Sheep because it was filling up the hard drive; similarly Pingu. Have just discovered that there is a new Shaun movie: Farmageddon. Must have! Particularly like Nick Park’s stuff because, like Firmin and Postgate, he’s not afraid to let a tad of adult wit and humour creep in. AND Park is firmly wedded to good old-fashioned stop-motion.

#141850 Reply
    Georgie

The end credits of In the Night Garden always makes me cry.  Without fail.  It’s just beautiful.

Love Nick Parks stuff, but I never got into Shaun the Sheep.

Original Clangers has it’s moments, mind.  Apparently there is an occasional adult word or two in the Swanee whistle language.  I have definitely heard Major Clanger say “The bloody door’s stuck” . . .

#141859 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Must get some Clangers. It’s getting on for a lifetime since I saw it. Adult stuff works its way in all over the old kids’ shows. In a recent Noggin I watched, the Nogs are all singing a solid Viking song in their broad Scandiwegian accent when the phrase “Nikki Nokki Noo” finds it way in.

With you on Night Garden. Closing titles are a delight. Brilliant music.

#141884 Reply
    joss

If you look on YouTube, you can find “alternate” shows of Trumpton and other popular children shows of that era.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#141890 Reply
    Georgie

Oh, Joss.  That is so, so true.  The alternate ‘Pipkins’ sketch with Micheal the glove puppet is priceless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXa7epEcOiQ

#141907 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

How rude! Nearly as bad as the advert going out on tv right now for some perfume thing which ends with an apparently aroused squirrel about to copulate with a spray can of the stuff. Or, indeed, the live footage from a natural history unit where an otter takes more than a little interest in one of those furry boom-mikes and actually does shag it.

#141908 Reply
    joss

Dumpton episode. Warning Adult content.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#141919 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great video, Joss. Wonder if anyone’s done the same to, say, Night Garden?

#141941 Reply
    joss

Erm yes Tharg but I wont post here. Search YT

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142583 Reply
    Brydo

Watched “Grace” last night very enjoyable 8-10

#142589 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Just discovered that Amazon Prime has the Swedish cop series Beck on the “free” bit. Marvellous. All episodes from 24 years of the series. Delightfully eccentric cop stories. Marvellous, well written and acted characters. 9/10

Only subscribe to Amazon for the music and some sport (tennis, snooker, figure skating) so this is a great bonus.

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: What you watching, mark it out if 10
Your information: