VW ID3 ordered 06/10/21. Dealer won’t give updates

• Creator
    Topic
  • #186310 Reply
    Imran Rasool

Hi all,</p>
    So ordered a VW ID3 Tour S 77kwh from Johnson’s Small Heath Birmingham on 06 October 2021. I have never ordered a car from a dealer privately or on motability.

Dealer said March/April 2022 which clearly was incorrect. I can’t see to get any sort of update from the dealer and was hoping if anyone has dealt with the same dealer or any VW dealer what’s a realistic timeframe.

Strangely family friends who ordered identical ID3 on non motability and personal leases have already received theirs and two ordered after me. Feels as if motability customers are lower priority.

Would love to hear about other peoples experiences and thoughts.

Thanks all

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #186312 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car
    #186322 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Strangely family friends who ordered identical ID3 on non motability and personal leases have already received theirs and two ordered after me. Feels as if motability customers are lower priority.

It’s not “Motability customers” that are lower priority, it’s “fleet operators” that are lower priority. Be it Motability, SIXT or any other fleet operator.

The rest of your family are private customers, you are not.

I haven’t dealt with your particular dealer (albeit another VW dealership), and i can with confidence tell you that your car might not even arrive this year. We ordered November last year (not an ID3, but a PHEV – same issues with chips/temp factory closures/wiring harnesses), we are looking currently at build week 46.

August/September i’d assume is realistic for you, or later if there’s more delays. Carwow quotes 52 weeks build/waiting time for the ID3, and that’s from before Zwickau (ID3 factory in east germany) announced that they stop production temporarily (November last year), and the entire march this  year. It sucks, but it is what it is. I’m very much surprised that your family got theirs already, only explanation for me is cancelled orders.

If you look here: https://www.id3forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1088&start=4580

you’ll see what i mean. It’s “impossible” to get an ID3 within 6 months, even for private customers.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#186321 Reply
    Jonathan Smith

I ordered a id3 family pro performance at the end of September 21. Last update is week 26 unconfirmed build week, it’s still status 10, each update it seems to gradually go later and later. Ordered from inchcape Shrewsbury. I’ve seen on the vw id3 Facebook group there seems to be no sense or logic to the way customers are receiving orders. I know of orders from last July and August 21 still outstanding, but orders from January 22 that have been fulfilled.

Lease company orders can come through quicker as they ordered in bulk months earlier and then sell cars from that bulk order individually at later date.

I’ve also heard top spec cars like the max and tour are taking longer to make as they require more microchips.

I doubt I’ll see my car until October at the earliest, personally I’m guessing mine may arrive near the end of this year. So maybe a 15 month wait which is ridiculous. Already had my home charger fitted. In two minds now whether to cancel and leave the scheme to buy a slightly older car privately that I actually own.

#186325 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I doubt I’ll see my car until October at the earliest, personally I’m guessing mine may arrive near the end of this year. So maybe a 15 month wait which is ridiculous. Already had my home charger fitted.

Same boat for us with the Golf GTE. Ordered Nov last year, currently build week 46 (mid Nov this year) – if there’s no further delays, and excluding delivery. Also had charger fitted 3 months ago now.

Upside, since we applied for an EV tariff with Octopus (Go) in September last year, we now got an incredibly (comparatively) cheap energy tariff at 24p/kwh with 5p/kwh at night and 19p standing charge until May next year.

We’ll wait it out though. We test drove the car and fell in love with it, it’s not just “a good car” to us, but “best car” (250bhp, corners well, plugin hybrid, comfortable). I absolutely would understand someone who’d cancel it though – it’s just that any (affordable) alternative would be worse.

#186363 Reply
    Jonathan Smith

How did you manage to get an ev tariff with octopus? I’ve spoken to them twice now and they refuse to let me have an ev tariff until the car has actually arrived.
    I presume if I told a white lie they’d eventually know I wasn’t using the smart home car charger.

#186566 Reply
    James cheer

Ordered my id3 13/10/21 was told march it was scheduled for September build then in april told it was moved to November and that they would update me monthly incase anything changes no update as of yet but no news is good news imo right now

#186762 Reply
    Imran Rasool

Hi all,

Thank you all for your responses. It really is a wonderful forum and lovely to hear from so many different people.

To answer the question. My two family members who ordered cars ordered very specific models with their own specifications and were delivered exactly them so I’m thinking unlikely to be cancelled orders especially as one of them is so uptight lol.

My only possible gripe it would seem is at least some people are getting imaginary build weeks but my dealership just doesn’t want to say anything other than we check daily and will update you if anything changes.

Like most I’ve had to spend considerable money changing the home electric unit, installing ev charger etc as by time the installation took place all the relevant grants were finished and then missed out on the original octopus tariff I would have gone for.

I guess I’ll just tell myself that hopefully it will be here in the new year by which time I will have to hope the dreaded PIP renewal goes well as else I would have paid the AP and waited longer for the car than I actually get to use it.

Wishing everyone the very best and hoping everyone gets their vehicle sooner than they expect.

#186807 Reply
    Woodlands

I really wanted an ID3, but in late 2021, I was told there was no chance of actually getting one. At that time the conceivable delivery date was well in excess of 12 months, probably a lot longer. VW seem to have been particularly hard hit. Such a shame, but I chose a Kona instead, albeit theres no sign of that arriving any time soon.

#186820 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

I doubt I’ll see my car until October at the earliest, personally I’m guessing mine may arrive near the end of this year. So maybe a 15 month wait which is ridiculous. Already had my home charger fitted.

Same boat for us with the Golf GTE. Ordered Nov last year, currently build week 46 (mid Nov this year) – if there’s no further delays, and excluding delivery. Also had charger fitted 3 months ago now. Upside, since we applied for an EV tariff with Octopus (Go) in September last year, we now got an incredibly (comparatively) cheap energy tariff at 24p/kwh with 5p/kwh at night and 19p standing charge until May next year. We’ll wait it out though. We test drove the car and fell in love with it, it’s not just “a good car” to us, but “best car” (250bhp, corners well, plugin hybrid, comfortable). I absolutely would understand someone who’d cancel it though – it’s just that any (affordable) alternative would be worse.

have you tried the 308 hybrid? there are a few hatches at a few dealers around the uk still, its a cracking car.

#187749 Reply
    Coastalview

Waiting for VW ID3 Tour since August 2021.Unable to move to an Octopus EV tariff because I don’t have one and they will find out if you don’t have an EV due to your usage if you are on it .You have to speak to them now to apply so they will find if your trying to circumvent the process.

#187730 Reply
    Ldc7080

I also have ordered a id3 tour.  20/9/21.  I have been told

from my dealer JCT600 Wakefield that my car is scheduled to be built week 39 so even if that happened (unlikely) I’d be looking at week 43 for collection.  My own expectation is that I won’t get it until 2023 but we will see

#188113 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

On the plus side you will be getting the new model with the new 3.0 software update and side sensors which allows the Park Assist (and other funtions) to work.

#188135 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

How did you manage to get an ev tariff with octopus? I’ve spoken to them twice now and they refuse to let me have an ev tariff until the car has actually arrived. I presume if I told a white lie they’d eventually know I wasn’t using the smart home car charger.

We didn’t lie, all they asked for was the order confirmation after we told them that the GTE is on order, which we of course had (we also had a receipt of deposit since we ordered quite a few optional extras).

If you look here: https://octopus.energy/go/

They say “If you’re in the process of getting one and have an order number to hand, we can switch you so that you’re ready to charge once your vehicle arrives.”

That’s what applied to us. If someone tells you otherwise, refer them to their own website – i wouldn’t let them discourage you. Just try again if you have a PHEV/EV on order, as long as you have a SMETS2 meter (which was the issue for us in the beginning) they should switch you over.

have you tried the 308 hybrid? there are a few hatches at a few dealers around the uk still, its a cracking car.

Yes, just today, since we got yet another delay (BW48 last week, BW45 this week – like a bloody rollercoaster), we decided to drive to Peugeot and have a sit in one. The exterior isn’t quite to our taste (the front is good, the rear is good, the profile is.. meh), the interior seemed very well put together, materials felt nice too (actual metal, not silver plastic in the console etc) – there’s just one issue.

I’m the designated driver, i’m 6’2″. Most of that is in my legs. I could not, for the life of me, get a seating position that fit. Either the steering wheel was literally between my knees, rubbing when i turned the wheel (and impossible to get in and out comfortable, since i had to get one leg below the steering column), or i was so far away and low in the car that i felt like “drivin my six fo'”. Which isn’t me, i like to sit upright and with my head above the dashboard. Or, worse, with a somewhat decent seating position in which the steering wheel didn’t indecently touched me constantly, the flat top of the steering wheel was directly in front of the instrument cluster (which btw isn’t 3D anymore, apparently), making it impossible to see anything without contorting.

Sucks, but it literally boils down to that the car, for me personally, is undrivable due to that moronic steering wheel/column. If you got shorter legs, it’s probably fine (my wife fits), with longer legs, zero chance. Even the sales guy was like “hm, yeah that’s not gonna work” after faffing with the seat controls. He then suggested to try the estate/SW, which we didn’t because would be the exact same issue.

Quite sad really, it’s genuinely a nice car to be in. As i said, felt quality, doors sounded good (important to me lol), but it’s just not to be.

Waiting for VW ID3 Tour since August 2021.Unable to move to an Octopus EV tariff because I don’t have one and they will find out if you don’t have an EV due to your usage if you are on it .You have to speak to them now to apply so they will find if your trying to circumvent the process.

Same to you, check the link in this posting – they literally state that having it on order is sufficient enough to change you over. That’s literally what they did with us.

We applied in september, by that point we didn’t even have the GTE on order. We sent the paperwork in after the fact, since our leccy meter wasn’t compatible. The second we got an appointment to switch over to a SMETS2 meter, they changed us to Go (and to the tariff we applied for in september, not the current one).

#188143 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Still waiting for news on my ID3 order.

Mind you, I am still waiting for my home charge point!

Having looked at the Motability site to see what is on offer – I am happy to wait.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#188205 Reply
    ldc7080

at this rate i will be getting the facelifted 24MY that comes out next year 🙂

#188244 Reply
    Coastalview

Unless you are an Octopus Customer you are unable to move to the Octopus Go Tariff currently as they are not accepting any new Customers due to the current Energy Crisis.

From the Website :”With global energy prices at record highs, you’re unlikely to be better off by switching at this time.”

Sadly this means that as you are unable to switch you will be paying the standard tariff to charge your EV at any time of the day.

My supplier EDF want £400 a month for a EV tariff that includes a “lower” tariff for night time charging.Thats just plain crazy.

It will still be cheaper to run than a ICE Vehicle but not as cheap as it should be.Be warned ,those on cheap tariffs currently, they will get you when it runs out, because this issue will not end for sometime.

#188427 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’m not in the ID3 camp but seen this article yesterday that may give you guys some hope.

https://tinyurl.com/mry8aspf

#189872 Reply
    James cheer

had an email today informing me my cars build week hasn’t changed which is good news build week 45 dealer recons i might get it December or January if all goes well will have been 14-15 month wait by then

#189885 Reply
    Jonathan Smith

My latest update is build week 39, the last week of September. I ordered 22/9/21. On the id3 Facebook group a lot of September orders  are starting to arrive, but orders from October to January have too. So I still have to real firm idea of when my family pp will turn up…..

#189930 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Any news on your car @Imran?

Today is my 8mth anniversary waiting for news, yet alone the car!!

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#189965 Reply
    Eame64

We ordered a ID3 Max Pro September 17th 2021 and have only had one update in all that time.

#189976 Reply
    James

I think they’d be happy for you to cancel your order

Strange things are happening with id3’s we went in to a dealership and they had a few pre registered id3’s for sale and when I questioned them to see if they was cancellations he said no they was ones we ordered for stock but they are worth more to us pre registered

They didn’t look high spec models but was over £40000 and it wasn’t just id3’s, they had id4’s and id5’s which had plates on with only a few miles

#190032 Reply
    Owmuch

Just read something interesting on the id3 forum from a motability customer he was told to check online for updates. If you login to your motability online account and look at your agreement that has the latest information on.

Checked mine I ordered November 21 and it’s showing agreement starts 5th October 2022

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: VW ID3 ordered 06/10/21. Dealer won’t give updates
Your information: