Volvo XC40 Semiconductor Shortage

• Creator
    Topic
    rfh103
    Participant

I am due to change my car at the end of the month and am looking at an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro with all the toys. Has anybody ordered one recently and been affected by the global chip shortage? If so what options / equipment was unavailable?

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Wigwam

The Volvo configurator seems up to date. Some of the option packs have disappeared.  We got ours end July, but ordered in May just before the shortages hit Volvo. The only thing we added to the standard spec of the Inscription Pro was the folding rear headrests.

rfh103
        Participant

Good to know, I was looking to add pretty much everything lol (even the polestar optimisation). I think the only option I left off was the glass roof for £1000.

Wigwam

We were going to have the glass roof until we found it starts so far back only rear seat passengers would benefit.

rfh103
            Participant

Yeah I have one on my current Sportage but as you say it really is only a benefit to those in the back.

Glos Guy
              Participant

Yeah I have one on my current Sportage but as you say it really is only a benefit to those in the back.

Exactly the same with the VW Tiguan that we had. It was nice for those in the back (which happens about twice a year in our case!) but you were completely unaware of it in the front, other than the slight creak from it in very cold weather or the greenhouse effect in very hot weather (even with the blind closed)! As a result we didn’t opt for one on our new BMW X1 and neither of us has missed it one bit. Fine if it’s standard kit, but not worth it as a paid option IMHO, unless you permanently carry rear seat passengers.

J ellmen

<p style=”text-align: left;”>No volvos showing on the motability website at all now.</p>

Wigwam
                  Participant

There are 12 variants of the XC40 on there just now.  Of course only the Recharge hybrids are worth considering.

Jonathon

I ordered a Recharge Inscription Pro yesterday and was told that the delay may last until April ‘22

Further, the agent advised that several variants currently available, may be removed in Q4

Wigwam
                      Participant

I’m going to guess it’ll be cheaper non-Recharge cars with a higher AP. I can’t imagine who would order them.

Glos Guy
                        Participant

I ordered a Recharge Inscription Pro yesterday and was told that the delay may last until April ‘22 Further, the agent advised that several variants currently available, may be removed in Q4

When are they predicting that you will receive your car Jonathon? I presume that you mean that there will be delays until next April, rather than your specific car will be delayed until then?

rfh103
                          Participant

So I ordered my new XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro from John Clark in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

I added the climate pack, drivers assistance pack, versitility pack, wireless charging, android auto, tints polestar optimisation, 360 cameras and dashcam.Given all that the dealer advised that largely due to the drivers assistance BLIS systems the delivery would likely be late Feb or March.

Ordered on my first day i was eligible as I was concerned cars are dropping off the scheme on a daily basis.

chris byrne

Ordered my XC40 Recharge R Design Pro from Warrington Volvo on 7th JULY 2021 with a delivery date 14 Sept 21. I didn’t hear anything until I contacted Warrington Volvo early September when they informed me my vehicle would be made on 5th Oct so expect delivery mid October. I called again early October and was informed that my vehicle would be delivered until mid to late November 21.

I did point out that I had seen them selling brand new XC40 recharge vehicles that week. The salesmen informed me that they had 21″ wheels and not 20″ as my order and had a sun roof fitted. They were also priced at £47,000 to £48,000. Either way they could change the wheel size and we could have a discussion about the sunroof. I’m keeping a log of new vehicles they are selling whilst customers sit waiting having paid a deposit months ago.

My concern is that when delivery time approaches they just fob me off with a date 4 to 6 weeks in the future and not a realistic date of when the car is going to be delivered. If they can sell cars in the current market for several thousand pounds more than I’m paying I think they would be happy for me to cancel.

I really don’t trust anything they say anymore and wish they would be honest with me because I’m hearing off delivery dates of March 2022.

I actually sold my own car in July thinking my car was coming in September. That was a big mistake!

This would be my first Volvo my last two cars were Audi’s, I will never buy from Volvo again.

Glos Guy
                              Participant

Sorry to hear this Chris. From the experiences of several other forum contributors it would appear that if you had ordered an Audi Q3 you would have had the same problem. In fact, the majority of manufacturers seem to be experiencing delays of this nature.

Motability customers seem to be doing worse than private buyers, although I think that in a large majority of cases it’s also because the dealers don’t have build allocations when a Motability customer ‘orders’ a car and in reality the dealership sits on the order for a month or two before even placing it with the manufacturer.

Edit – Just noticed that the dealer originally quoted you a two month lead time. That was never going to happen. Three months minimum was the lead time back in the Spring even before the semiconductor crisis started to really bite.

Wigwam
                                Participant

9 weeks from order to delivery to the dealer on our XC40, Glos Guy ordered in May.

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

9 weeks from order to delivery to the dealer on our XC40, Glos Guy ordered in May.

I remember that yours was quick Wigwan but thought it was closer to 3 months. My mistake. That being said, you still ordered just weeks before the chip shortage hit Volvo whereas Chris ordered a couple of months after you. I don’t think that anyone who ordered after you got their car in anything like the time you did and some who ordered before you took much longer than yours if I recall correctly. I think you were the exception and very lucky, as I was with my BMW X1 which was less than 4 months from order to delivery.

This forum is now full of examples of people waiting 6 months plus for countless cars of all makes, although I still think that a lot of this is down to dealers not having build allocations, as well as the chip shortage. It has to be, given the wildly different lead times that people are experiencing for the same car.

rfh103
                                    Participant

So – I have at last taken delivery of my new car the spec almost matched what I ordered but Volvo removed the BLIS (blind spot and cross traffic). Despite me querying it at the time of ordering and repeating the need for the car to match the spec ordered and being told nothing was missing. Slightly annoyed – not so much that it is missing I can live without it; but that the dealer did not own up until I was about to drive off and asked him again. He did admit he was worried that the car would arrive without an electric tailgate. I made it very clear that if that had been the situation I would have rejected the car. I think salesmen often forget that some options are a requirement rather than a luxury.

Apart from that loving the car so far 🙂

Wigwam
                                      Participant

The BLIS option was already deleted when we ordered ours last May, rfh103 – not that it was something we needed.

rfh103
                                        Participant

Yeah it was reintroduced briefly in September when I ordered my car ( at least according to the online configurator) Salesman basically said if it is there you can add it – which I did. Not the end of the world that it is missing.

GJA

I was going to ask  if everything you’d ordered was there RFH103. Please tell me you didn’t pay for the BLIS that you didn’t receive!

rfh103
                                            Participant

No I didn’t GjA – The salesman said there was a discrepancy so charged me less – suspect this is the saving and not the metallic paint excuse given.

GJA

Thank goodness for that.

GJA

Just had the dealer on the same phone. Allegedly my XC40 will be ready for collection in or around the 16th.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.