Volvo Dealer Refusing Credit Card ?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #164599 Reply
    jez100
    Participant

Evening All

Popped to my local Volvo dealer today and placed order on XC40 to avoid disappointment in Q4.  I paid for the deposit (£500) via Apple Pay.   When the payment went through the dealer asked if it was a credit or debit card (I confirmed credit) and he went on to say the remaining £2,999 would have to be paid via debit card or bank transfer.

Is this stipulated with Motability’s T&C’s or is this Volvo dealer being difficult?

I have funds to pay but I like to take advance of 0% purchases on my CC and spend other peoples money rather than my hard earned savings!  There is added consumer protection too of course.

Any advice?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by jez100.
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164601 Reply
    Gary

I haven’t been told I can’t use a credit card for my balance, I’ll be using my amazon card to earn a few points towards a voucher.

If I can’t use it I’ll tell them to keep the car and walk away

#164602 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I would say it’s to do with the fees they get charged on a credit card payment.

#164603 Reply
    Wigwam

It’s the dealer’s choice. Credit card merchant fees are higher than debit card fees which are in turn higher than bank transfer by Fastpay. He has no obligation to accept any card payment

#164605 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

What was the deposit for?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#164610 Reply
    jez100
    Participant

Hi Brydo

I’m not sure I follow?  Motability suggest its not uncommon (https://www.motability.co.uk/about/how-the-scheme-works/payment-and-cost-for-cars/) “Some dealers do ask for a holding deposit when you place your order, but any deposit paid will be deducted from the Advance Payment you pay when collecting your car.”

#164611 Reply
    jez100
    Participant

Perhaps I should add, both previous advance payments were made via credit card the most recent of which was with VW who didn’t question it.

#164613 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

We’re on our fifth or sixth motability car and I’ve never paid a deposit and if I was asked to pay I would refuse.

#164615 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

We did pay £500 deposit on our SEAT too. I don’t see an issue with it, not necessary to get offended and huffy puffy by everything.

#164616 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

On many occasions we have had posters worrying that they had paid a deposit and then changed their minds about the car. They’re  concerned that they won’t get their money back and it adds to the pressure that choosing a car can bring.

There is also the unlikely event that the dealer goes into receivership and then you have to fight to get your deposit refunded.

#164622 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Those posters apparently never bought a car in their life then, because paying a deposit on a new car is pretty much standard practice – for a reason.

Also, i’m sorry, there’s no “pressure”. You do your due diligence, test drive cars, and choose one. That deposit is precisely to prevent people from ordering a car and changing their mind two days later. You do realise that there are costs involved for dealerships to get a car ready?

You get the £500 back if there’s a fault on the dealerships side. You’ll have to claw it back if your reason for cancelling an order is “you just found a better one” – which you should’ve ordered then in the first place, meaning you did not do your research.

Seems pretty fair to me.

#164627 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

What you say is entirely fair Rene, for a private buyer.  We here do not buy the cars, Motability does.

#164632 Reply
    struth
    Participant

nissan dealer (western)said they dont ask for advance payments, and i wasnt going to anyway. if they get a car and i dont take it im sure they will sell it without issue.

re credit cards, some dealers wont take them; others charge 3% handling fee. also credit card companies can say not as well.

#164633 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It seems to vary by dealer. On our first Motability car we were asked to pay for the cost of any optional extras when we ordered, but no deposit towards the AP. We knew no different and paid happily. The next one we weren’t asked for a penny up front. The one after we were asked for a £500 deposit, but we paid this happily as, in return, the dealer ordered the car 2 months before our 3 month order window opened so was taking some risk. The car had a 5 month wait and, as a result, we took delivery on the exact date that our previous lease expired. At the same time, many others on this forum were expressing frustration at very long lead times. All 3 of those cars were VW’s. On our current BMW we added a few grands worth of options and we weren’t asked for a deposit or up front payment for the options, so didn’t part with a penny until we picked the car up.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Glos Guy.
    #164637 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

We have always paid our AP with a credit card – each dealer (all  been different) has never batted an eyelid.

Vote with feet springs to mind.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#164644 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s something to check before placing an order, if it’s important to you funding the deal.  As with Abercol. I’ve found dealers happy to take a CC for the AP and extras at the handover. Charging a handling fee to accept a CC payment is of course illegal nowadays.

#164647 Reply
    struth
    Participant

indeed, although some places add a service charge, which is naughty.  charge used to be 0.6% to businesses.

#164650 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

If you find choosing a car easy then that’s great but you just have to spend five minutes scrolling through past posts on this forum to see many who find this process very stressful.

Take a look at “Rachel’s” recent post, she is clearly stressed but has managed to get good advice from Forum members.

I suggest this Forum would not exist if picking a car was easy, luckily there are many knowledgeable members always ready to help.

#164654 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’ve always used a credit card for the reasons given by Brydo above for any deposits asked for but when I collect the car I’m not too fussed however when I’ve asked the dealers if they want credit or debit for the AP they’ve always said they leave that to myself.

#164657 Reply
    GJA

I had to put down a deposit on my XC40 when I placed the order three years ago. When I placed the order for my next car a few weeks ago, the dealer and sales advisor (the same as before) didn’t ask for a deposit, and when I asked — I assumed he’d forgotten — he said they didn’t normally take deposits for Motability orders. I can only assume I’m a known quantity now. Also, I paid both the deposit and the advance payment by credit card back in 2018.

#164663 Reply
    Alexandra

Recently placed an order with Vauxhall – they no longer accept card payments and the AP has to be bank transferred.  BMW also have me the same information – bank transfers only.  Both said that the sum has to be sent the day before to ensure they have received it.  I did ask why and they both said a few too many people telephoning the card company and cancelling the payment which then leaves the dealership chasing the payment and car.  I guess one of two had apples have effected the process.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Volvo Dealer Refusing Credit Card ?
Your information: