Volkswagen ID.3 electric hatchback revealed: specs, price, details and release d

• Creator
    Topic
  • #94207 Reply
    Brydo

Article

Production of electric Volkswagen ID.3 to start next week, with first car set to arrive on 4 November

Last Updated: 28 Oct 2019 tweet

The new, all-electric Volkswagen ID.3 hatchback will start production next week at the company’s plant in Zwickau, the manufacturer has confirmed.

The first finished car is scheduled to roll out of the factory on 4 November, with Group CEO Dr Herbert Diess and German Chancellor Angela Merkel set to attend. UK deliveries aren’t expected to begin until 2020, however.

The plant contains 1,700 robots, with driverless transport systems and automated manufacturing technology used throughout the line. Zwickau will build electric vehicles only from 2021.

Earlier this month, VW announced that the ID.3 would feature the company’s new ID. Light technology, which uses an LED lighting strip in the cabin to help convey information the driver.

Volkswagen says the ID. Light changes colour to show when the car is switched on and if it’s locked or unlocked. Green indicates a fully charged battery, while red acts as a warning during braking. The LED strip will blink to recommend changing lanes, and also signal incoming phone calls and sat-nav instructions.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/volkswagen/783/volkswagen-id-hatchback-2019-specs-and-prototype-review

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #94223 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

A poster in my local VW dealer showroom just 4 miles away says go electric 4p a mile is that correct ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#94224 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

there was a vw concept i think that looked a bit dune buggyish i liked the look of that.

probably not that practical but hey who cares lol.

#94226 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Still they struggle to increase the ranges, im all for electric cars but if they want to replace combustion engines then they need to be hitting 350 plus miles per charge in my view and produce them in the same price range as the gasoline equivalents. Once they achieve that i`ll jump n the bandwagon straight away but until then they just remain urban novelties in my book.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#94234 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Why do you need 350miles? Consider changing your preconceived driving ideas to take advantage of the 1p per mile fuel cost rather than 20p per mile …….</p>

#94237 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

It has nothing to do with changing my driving ideas, today i can fill my car up with fuel and achieve 550 miles without any range anxiety whatsoever. I can drive where i want when i want and know if i need to re fuel i can do at anytime and in less than 10 mins and complete another 550 miles. I have never owned an EV but have read numerous real world tests and not one of those was really positive apart from the fuel cost obviously. Not knocking EV and like i said i would jump in one tomorrow if the range was there, point i was trying to make is they will never replace combustion engines like they want to until the ranges increase. I regularly do journeys over 200 miles and can do that without stopping, yes i know it`s not at 1p a mile but like most people i will take that as a trade off for usability and convenience all day long, just my opinion. However if i was doing short town journeys all day long then yes i would have one tomorrow.

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#94284 Reply
    Ian

Understand Stuart and each to their own but knowing you can drive 550 miles fill up and go again is hardly a strong argument of why electric vehicles are no good surely? I don’t actually spend anytime visiting petrol stations and the wasted time involved.I simply insert a cable on my drive when the car returns home.

Low emissions, cheaper to run, faster, better for the environment all come out of the very positive road Tests.

Try one you might be delighted! I am

Q

#94352 Reply
    brydo

Stuart the article goes on to say “and a larger-capacity 77kWh and a range of 342 miles.” I suggest this range is more than enough for most people.

#94398 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes 342 miles is fine with me Brydo

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#94400 Reply
    brydo

Me too mike I never do more than 150 miles without a spot of lunch and if I’m at home 300+ miles is more than enough. In fact if I was just using the car for my day to day living, which is 99% of the time, anything over 100 miles on a charge would suit me.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Volkswagen ID.3 electric hatchback revealed: specs, price, details and release d
Your information: