Voice activation

• Creator
    Topic
  • #106943 Reply
    David
    Participant

Hi all.

Picked up my new r-line today.

Can i ask how to activate/turn on voice control.

tried to turn it on but get the message that it needs an activation key.

A bit confused.

Thanks

David

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #106944 Reply
    Elliot

I’m sure Winston will be able to help you. He’s the forums Tiguan know it all.

#106945 Reply
    roly
    Participant

If it’s the same as my Golf, it is a dealer-enabled extra – even though the button is on the steering wheel.

#106946 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Yup not standard even on the Rline. Optional extra only im afraid

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#106953 Reply
    Winston

Can’t help yourself can you Princess? You just love thinking about me ( bit for Valentine’s Day tho )

But anyways into the original question 🤓

as it’s pointed out it’s only the dealer that can unlock it, but plug connect your phone via Car Play or Android Auto and the button turns into Siri or Google Assistant 🙌🏻 And it works great mate 👍🏻 You can call, message , WhatsApp , navigate etc

give it a try

#106955 Reply
    Michael

Hi, had this problem with vw the voice activation is done at the dealers by adding a key  code. The cost was in the region of some £50 plus. But when you read the advert for the Touran it states it has voice activation, misleading to say the least.

#106957 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

I heard the cost was closer to £200 – having said that, if you’re going to be using an Android phone with Android Auto or an iPhone with the mirrorlink or whatever (not an apple user so don’t know the terminology) the voice button will activated the voice recognition on the phone – it just takes a longer press to make it kick in.

It isn’t something which can be activated using one of the OBD things as it requires connection to the VW servers to get it going – yeah I already checked as frankly, it’s bloody ridiculous that, on the top of the range car it’s disabled by default and that expensive

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Colin.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#106961 Reply
    David
    Participant

Hi every one .

Thank you for getting back promptly. I’ve had voice control in my last(4) cars. I take this is just another cheap cash grab from the manufacturer. I cant be altogether sure about reading this(memory) but is this not a safety issue.

I’ll ring the garage tomorrow and find out how much (ouch feeling incoming).

Thanks again folks for the advise on the phone part (android) I will certainly give it a go.

Cheers

David

#106967 Reply
    roly
    Participant

It’s a VW thing- my Audi Q3 had VA enabled as standard.

#106973 Reply
    Winston

I’ve had it in my last couple of cars , you really ain’t missing much lol

if you connect your phone via Android Auto or Apple Car Play it does everything you need , and you can save your cash 🙌🏻

#106978 Reply
    Markymate

Standard on the Kodiaq but totally pointless. All I ever did was argue with the bloody thing!!

#106979 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Standard in my car, handy with navigation instructions, sometimes results in much hilarity and occasional swearing…bit like the sketch of the Scotsmen in the lift.

Hardly earth shattering not to have it, but yeah, def. a cash grab by VW (they have a nasty habit here) especially on the top trim line.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#106988 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

it’s installed like other options that can be enabled if you pay vw.. or the next owner may want it thats there thinking, i rem watching a vid of a vw exec on the future.

It suxx imo and is only going to get worse.

thats another reason i’m getting a honda alot is standard no matter the trim.

#106994 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

I’m pleased to say it’s standard on the X1, at least from SE trim and above and works perfectly. It’s a must have for me.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#107001 Reply
    ian

voice control in i3s is awesome large vocabulary indeed

#107010 Reply
    David
    Participant

Hi everyone

phoned the dealership today about this voice activation and was told it would cost

£280 to have it enabled. After picking myself off the floor , i am now educating myself with android auto.

Na Volkswagen nimmst du die Pisse

(well Volkswagen you are taking the piss)

Thanks all

David

#128373 Reply
    Aaron

Iv got this problem have no phone button on the steering wheel just a voice so silly

#129701 Reply
    Marcus

In Dublin the want €435 to install it. Total VW greedy money grabbing. I’ll stick with Siri !

#129713 Reply
    file28
    Participant

We have it as standard in our Ateca

Have fun with it when asking it to navigate to Llanfairfechan

Also find it hilarious when I get it to read out my Welsh text messages 🤣 😂 😆 😅

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#129716 Reply
    C2clo

It’s on my Tarraco and it sort of works well, except the attention words are “Hola Hola”. It’s funny it understands my wife (American accent) better than me (English).

#129721 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

There are 3rd parties that can unlock this feature for a lot less than the dealers.

#144599 Reply
    Cookie

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It cost £250 to have done by your dealer yet Skoda (which is VW) it comes as standard</p>

#144725 Reply
    Littledave

Have got it on our Alhambra. Have never made it understand a word I say. Waste of time.

#144736 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Tried it in brand new Golf had test drive before Christmas gave me in headache

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#144797 Reply
    Ian

When I got my Tiguan nearly three ago VW wanted £400 for activation. I read up and found out the VW is very poor on the commands so did not bother.

But like others I really can not understand why they say you have it but you then have to pay for it to use it. It’s such a cheap fix and VW is complaining over hitting a button to activate it and charging you a small fortune in the process poor call on you VW especially when their other groups do not charge for it 🤬

#144799 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Having had voice control on several BMW’s, which was brilliant and worked flawlessly, I paid for it as a cost option on our current 2018 VW Tiguan SEL. Complete waste of money. The VW version is absolute rubbish. Sadly, several of the VW systems aren’t a patch on the BMW equivalents. Sat Nav and Adaptive Headlights are two other examples where the BMW systems are superb but the VW versions are a very poor relation. It taught me a lesson that ‘kit count’ on a car is only part of the story!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Voice activation
Your information: