Using E10 unleaded petrol in a PHEV

• Creator
    Topic
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I am old school over the years picked up some bad habits, we have alway keep the fuel tank topped up just in case, however, E10 fuel has a limited life span, over the winter months our journeys are local running in EV mode, subsequently the E10 (shelf life 3 – 6 months) fuel sat in the fuel tank for nearly 5 month deteriorating and becoming less efficient, every now and then I would burn some fuel off to clear the fuel system. This is a totally waste of money plus we are tugging around virtually 40kg of fuel.

We have now decided to use E5 Super unleaded petrol despite being slightly more expensive has a longer shelf life and leave just 1/4 of tank of fuel in the vehicle, that way I don’t have to waste money and burn off fuel, lug around an extra 30kg of fuel and only top up for the odd long journey.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Robert88
      Participant

For me wasting petrol is a scam I drive a petrol sportage and every couple of months I’m expected to drive aimlessly up and down motorway to clear exhaust filter wasting god knows how much petrol.

kezo
        Participant

I use a Stabil fuel stabiliser in my 4 stroke lawnmower. Never had a problem with winter storage 🙂

Is it cheaper than using E5, it depends!

Participant

Sounds like the sensible thing to do. Lasts longer, better mpg, better quality fuel. Cost is going to be negligible as you’re barely using any petrol.

Like Kezo, I use fuel stabiliser in lawn mower along with Shell V-Power and never have a problem. Well, apart from this year when I ran out and thought it would be ok which it wasn’t when wife went to do first grass cut of the season as it wouldn’t flippin start! 😆

Participant

That makes sense.

In my motorcycles I would brim the tank with cheap unleaded before storage (Mid October to March) and never had a problem, the brimming was to prevent condensation in the tank from causing corrosion or allowing the condensed water to collect in the bottom of the tank and wreak havoc there.. Don’t know if car tanks do the same, but even if they did it’s unlikely to be an issue over the time you have the vehicle.

For the lawnmower, I service it each spring, removing and cleaning out the carb and draining the tank is part of that (bunged the old fuel into the car – a wee bit of stale fuel mixed with 50l of new wont do any harm!).

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Rich44
              Participant

Autoshenanigans did some tests recently and most of the E10 fuels didn’t contain as much ethanol as stated.

In cars I really don’t see stale fuel over 6 months or so in a modern sealed fuel tank as too much of a problem tbh. I did an experiment and left a full tank of fuel in my lawnmower over winter and it started after a couple of pulls no problem at all. Imho the stale fuel issues are overblown unless left in environments where damp can get at it or if left for years.

Just my experience anyway fwiw

Rhodgie
                Participant

You’re not only lugging around the 40kg of fuel, you’ve got an engine & gearbox too… are you sure you need a PHEV and not a BEV 🤔

Otherwise I’d definitely be putting the best quality fuel in it and run the engine at least once a month.

kezo
                  Participant

You’re not only lugging around the 40kg of fuel, you’ve got an engine & gearbox too… are you sure you need a PHEV and not a BEV  Otherwise I’d definitely be putting the best quality fuel in it and run the engine at least once a month.

The economy Oscarmax gets from his PHEV will put most HEV’s of a similar size to shame.

Glos Guy
                    Participant

I also leave E10 petrol in my lawn mower over the winter and have never had a problem (and I don’t service it either, other than check the oil every year or so 😂), so I can’t imagine that a car would suffer any issues. PHEVs tend to have smaller fuel tanks than their petrol equivalents.

Rhodgie
                      Participant

4 The economy Oscarmax gets from his PHEV will put most HEV’s of a similar size to shame.

The economy should be good if doesn’t need to run the engine for 5 months… 😂

Oscarmax
                        Participant

4 The economy Oscarmax gets from his PHEV will put most HEV’s of a similar size to shame.

The economy should be good if doesn’t need to run the engine for 5 months…

With a depleted battery the vehicle defaults to hybrid mode or we can selected hybrid mode, in hybrid mode we can easily achieve 50 mpg + not bad for 2 tonne SUV, towing a 1500kg caravan in hybrid mode we can achieve 35mpg.

The point I am trying to get across with a normal petrol/diesel vehicle you fill up and burn off fuel regularly, with these modern PHEV your fuel is sitting to long deteriorating in the full, we just need to change the way we do things.

Rhodgie
                          Participant

@Oscarmax  Ah… I see now why you aren’t full EV if having to tow a caravan and needing a vehicle to suit your lifestyle 👍

yes lots of people don’t realise that fuel goes off and becomes useless over time… guess you’ll just have to pay a bit more for quality fuel knowing that you’re making savings in the long run

Oscarmax
                            Participant

We have considered allowing 120 miles between site enabling us to recharge, I have my eye on a Hyundai Ioniq 6 and the Kia EV6, both I believe due for an upgrade in battery size to 82kWh, the AP on these PHEV are horrendous.

kezo
                              Participant

We have considered allowing 120 miles between site enabling us to recharge, I have my eye on a Hyundai Ioniq 6 and the Kia EV6, both I believe due for an upgrade in battery size to 82kWh, the AP on these PHEV are horrendous.

What is your current range between site’s now?

The last caravan I had before buying a static was towed with a V6 vectra and it would sit a x speed x mpg all day long whils’t towing. With an EV there are alot more variable that can impact the range.

Oscarmax
                                Participant

180 miles

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.