Tories on the “Take”?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #168722 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Which MPs have second jobs and how much do they earn?

The second jobs of MPs are under scrutiny after former minister Owen Paterson was found to have broken lobbying rules.
    Questions have been raised about the Conservative MP and former attorney general Sir Geoffrey Cox who earned around £900,000 last year through his work as a lawyer.
    International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan said on Monday it would be “wise” to review the rules around second jobs.
    Are MPs allowed second jobs?
    Yes, as long as they are not a minister.
    More than 200 MPs have received earnings in the last year on top of their £81,932 annual salary. The extra earnings range from £50 a year to almost £1m.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #168776 Reply
    joss

28 Conservatives: 1 Labour and 1 Libdem.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#168780 Reply
    jamesg

Dan Jarvis  Labour    Mayor  South Yorkshire   £80,000  MP  Barnsley  Central  £82,000     £162,000  in  total plus  expenses ?

#168782 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

do you think that whoever compiled that list has an agenda, only one labour and one lib dem. no mention of starmer smiths legal work amongst others on labours front bench.

they are all as bad as each other pigs in a trough

#168783 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Because the list only detailed “consultancy” work.

#168802 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

Well, it didn’t take long for the anti Tories , anti Boris gang to promote ‘ Tory Sleaze’ , as a slogan for a second job/ income , with a token ‘opposition’ MP listed just for fair play?

The truth of the matter is that very many opposition MP’s , especially those with the loudest voices, are earning a second , third or fourth income also, but cleverly & conveniently are not mentioned by the anti Tory BBC/ news reporters, many of whom ‘ guess what’ also have second incomes.

Some of these ‘holier than thou’ hypocrites on the ‘opposition, front bench , and the media have bigger noses and bigger troughs than the Tories!

If there is sleaze – let’s name and shame all, not concentrate on the Tories.

Btw I am not a Tory.

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#168805 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Because the list only detailed “consultancy” work.

Or, the list only compiled, as it says, for last year. Starmer stopped his “second job” in accordance with the Labour manifesto (banning second jobs) in 2019.

To me, it’s not really about “second jobs”. There’s a difference between your second job being “legal work”/working as a barrister or something, or “consultant for big petroleum/energy/corporation”.

I have a problem with that second job being essentially a bribe/direct connection to the prime minister. If you get paid by interest groups (banks, corporations etc pp), that’s an issue. Because obviously it’s an issue. Doesn’t matter what party you’re in.

On the other hand, working as a lawyer for example, or doing other work for a neutral entity is fine. I would too, lets be realistic.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#168810 Reply
    brydo

I agree that the list should include all MPs on the “Take”. So if there are others, no matter the party, please list them as it makes a more balanced debate.

In my opinion being an MP, if done correctly, should take up all of your working time. If it is a part time job then their salaries should be reduced accordingly.

#168822 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

MP’s ( not Ministers ) are allowed to earn an extra income, and in 1995 the House ‘Standards Committee’ even recommended that ‘a second job’, would bring far more expertise to the House!

So no rules broken by the accused which in this case has moved on from Paterson to Cox QC. except a very minor charge that perhaps ‘he conducted some extra commons business from an office in the House of Commons’?

Paterson ‘s second job was as a Consultant which some interpret as a lobbyist, and if he was ‘lobbying’ on behalf of his paymasters, then that is against the rules – he denies it and apparently his defence would’ possibly ‘have cleared him had the complaint been in court ?

The Government however , instead of asking the referee for a video replay , which potentially could have shut their accusers down, left an open goal by attempting a change of rules, then changing their mind, and frankly this is what lost them the game.

Now , this stupidity has their own fans as well as the ‘opportunist’ others , calling for the ‘manager’s ‘ head.

“ only in the UK eh? ‘

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#168826 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

My problem with Cox QC is not that he is a very successful and highly paid lawyer, but that he was advising the government of BVI in relation to action being taken against them by the Foreign Office.  So, advising a foreign government on how to defend itself against the actions of the government of which he is a member.  This must be wrong.

#168831 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

My problem with Cox QC is not that he is a very successful and highly paid lawyer, but that he was advising the government of BVI in relation to action being taken against them by the Foreign Office. So, advising a foreign government on how to defend itself against the actions of the government of which he is a member. This must be wrong.

I don’t think anyone would disagree there.

In fact, i don’t think anyone would disagree with an MP doing shifts in public service (doubling as a garbage collector or hair stylist). That’s what i meant in particular, if i were to make the rules, second jobs would require you to prove that there’s no influence from third parties making its way into parliament.

Everything that does (and that can include lawyering – that’s why i mentioned working as a barrister, as opposed to a lawyer or legal advisor for a company) should flat out be prohibited. As was mentioned before, it’s not like they’re going to be on the breadline if they don’t.

If MPs are overpaid is an entirely different discussion (worth having imho, since i do think that’s certainly the case – the incentive to become MP/politician shouldn’t be money in a perfect world).

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#168849 Reply
    brydo

Tory toffs changing the rules to suit their chums my, my who would have thought it.

Those who voted BJ into power left the country wide open to sleaze, corruption, rule breaking and cronyism and jobs for the boys.

The English people voted overwhelmingly for this “eejit” and I’m confident they will do so again. Why I hear you ask and the answer is the word you never start a sentence with ” because” lol

#168881 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Not just the conservatives of course, unless you have a short memory:

The return of New Labour sleaze

#168896 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car
    #168897 Reply
    Georgie
    #168898 Reply
    Georgie

Not all of us, Brydo.

#168903 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

From a Guardian perspective, even the Telegraph is Hard Right!

#168908 Reply
    Georgie

Yeah, the Guardian can be more than a bit toe-curling.  Though that can be part of its charm – after all, it’s the only national newspaper I know that has a dedicated ‘News and Features’ section about Disability (“Before my sister died, I promised her I’d hold Britain’s benefits system to account” by Imogen Day) and still have time to discuss the legacy of ’10 years of Skyrim’ and mourn the fact that Fashion Designer Daniel Lee is leaving “luxury fashion label” Bottega Veneta.

#168913 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

From a Guardian perspective, even the Telegraph is Hard Right!

That article from the Guardian is 3 years old, it has evolved and quite brilliantly, let me explain. It is no longer about ‘hard right’ but about ‘anti left’.  Spiked is a diffuser, a balancer of news.  Bad news in the press about tory corruption, run a story on Labour corruption. You get the picture.

But, this is the amazingly clever bit, its readers trust their writings and repost their stories, people who believe themselves to be free thinking and wide reading, in many cases cast themselves as Libertarians or even old skool Liberals, people who do not class themselves as conservatives and many have never voted for the conservatives. The truth is these people are keeping a conservative government in power, they are a ground force operation and the best bit is not one of them realise they even signed up. Why do you think these people fund them. The irony of it all is astounding.

I told you it had evolved.

#168915 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

“These people are keeping a conservative government in power”??  I thought the Labour party was doing a good job of that.

#168933 Reply
    Daf

Tories and corruption are terms made for each other. It’s true that members of other parties have been caught with their hands in the till, but the professionals at that type of structural corruption are the Tories.

Dont forget Boris and co were recommended by Trump and until they realised he was mad as a box of Frogs and then lost the Presidential election, they were thick as thieves, literally!

Make no mistake what we are seeing is a minute tip of a very large corruption iceberg and every attempt to brush the evidence under the carpet will be used.

#168938 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Daf, will you ever post something without mentioning Trump? Sounds like an obsession…

#168951 Reply
    Georgie

One of my favourite MP quotes is Dennis Skinner back in 2014

Skinner: “Half the Tory members opposite are crooks.”

Mister Speaker told him to retract that comment.

Skinner: “OK, half the Tory members aren’t crooks.”

#168998 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross in job ‘sleaze’ row

The leader of the Scottish Conservatives has reported himself over undeclared earnings while serving as an MP.
    Douglas Ross has apologised for failing to fully record his MSP salary and earnings as a football referee in his register of interests at Westminster.
    This included £6,700 for work as a match official for the Scottish Football Association.
    He has now referred himself to the parliamentary standards watchdog.
    The SNP said the Conservative MSP was “knee-deep in the Tory sleaze scandal”.
    In a statement, first reported in The Herald newspaper, Mr Ross said all his earnings had now been declared after what he described as an “error on my behalf that shouldn’t have happened”.
    Which MPs have second jobs and how much do they earn?
    MPs under scrutiny over their second jobs
    He said: “This was an error on my behalf that shouldn’t have happened, and I apologise for not registering these payments on time.
    “Since realising my mistake last week, I contacted the Office of the Register of Interests and made them aware of the situation. All payments have now been declared, including those from my MSP salary that are donated to charities.”
    The paper says he failed to declare £28,218.57 in outside earnings from his second job as an MSP and third job as a football referee.
    The undeclared income included £6,728.57 from 16 football matches in 2021 and 2020, and £21,490 in a top-up salary from his role as an MSP.

Some of the Moray charities which have benefited from Mr Ross’ salary are the RLNI in Buckie, Kieran’s Legacy, Riding for the Disabled, Moray Women’s Aid and Shop Mobility Moray.
    Mr Ross has been injured since January and has not officiated any professional games since then.
    The SNP accused the opposition MSP of scoring an own goal.
    ‘Blow the whistle on sleaze’
    SNP Westminster Deputy Leader Kirsten Oswald MP said: “Triple-jobbing Douglas Ross is knee-deep in the Tory sleaze scandal. The rule-breaking Scottish Tory leader must shift his attention from maximising his outside earnings – and start focusing on his role as an MSP, which is supposed to be a full-time job.
    “Failing to declare thousands of pounds from multiple side hustles is a clear breach of the rules – but the bigger concern is that Mr Ross isn’t doing the day job. He’s missed crucial votes, including on Tory universal credit cuts, to rake in extra cash running the line at football matches.
    “It’s time to blow the whistle on Tory sleaze. People in Scotland deserve better than this – and Mr Ross must finally decide whether he wants to be an MP, MSP or full time referee.”
    Earlier this week Mr Ross backed a review of second jobs for MPs and said parliamentarians should not be allowed to take money from companies that might benefit from decisions made in parliament.
    However, he said other cases should be judged on their individual merits and argued that it can be “very useful” to have a voice in two parliaments.
    Mr Ross, who is a list MSP for the Highlands and Islands as well as an MP for Moray, promised to only accept one salary if elected to Holyrood in the Scottish parliamentary election.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#169020 Reply
    Daf

”Daf, will you ever post something without mentioning Trump? Sounds like an obsession”

Wigwam, yes I have a post coming up in early 2023 which won’t mention Trump👍
    I tend to use Trump as he represents the very worse of populism. I’d like to see the word “Trumpism” coming into every day use in reference to some of the most odious actions of humanity.

If that sounds like an obsession then I’m guilty as charged.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Tories on the “Take”?
Your information: