These electric cars can’t go far

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

Saturday before last my daughter and I went for a little drive.  Started fully charged.

We left Cornwall just before 6am, drove up to Exeter services for a comfort break.  We made use of the convenient disabled bays but didn’t need charging.

Next stop was Fleet Services, some 243 miles from home.  Plugged in and went for a mooch around.  After the usual wee and explore of the shops we returned to the car and it was 85% charged, not bad from having just 25 miles left.

Took the M25 around to Kent and found the rugby club we were looking for.  Post match took a drive through London, having a sight seeing tour through central London and out through Twickenham on to the M3 and back to Fleet.

Stopped at Fleet services again, charging briefly this time while we got some food.  After 15 minutes we were off again with plenty more than we’d need to get to Exeter.

Exeter Services were empty (it was 10.45 by now) so I plugged in and we went for another mooch.  After a comfort stop and some more food, we unplugged at 100% after just 40 minutes.  The top charging speed we saw was 202kW.

Got home after driving 524 miles with 118 still available (according to the Guess-O-Meter).  We were tired and I was a little sore but given my back issues, I half expected to be crippled after all that.

So, 524 miles in 19 ish hours recharging twice and got home able but unwilling to go again.  Would I recommend the Ioniq 5?  You bet I would, without the ease of driving and those comfort seats there’s absolutely no way I could drive that far and walk away.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dayskipper
      Participant

You call that a little drive Mark? I wouldn’t like to accompany you on a long one then 🙂

kezo
        Participant

Excellent write up mate!

MFillingham
          Participant

You call that a little drive Mark? I wouldn’t like to accompany you on a long one then 🙂

Yeah, maybe little should have been more obviously sarcastic.  😁  Bizzarely that distance would only have seen us get a toe into Scotland should we have gone north.

Excellent write up mate!

Thanks mate, I know of a few who have posted such journeys on social media just to get the usual anti EV nonsense.  We all just try and demonstrate that with the modern batteries and charger availability such a journey wasn’t impossible.

Just to note, Fleet services is the most northern on the M3, so the first coming out of London via the M3.  This Saturday had the FA cup final, European Heineken Cup final, Chelsea Flower Show and something going on around Buckingham Palace,  so leaving London around 6pm and hitting the services around 7ish, it wasn’t quiet.  There were still 3 or 4 Tesla chargers and 2 other chargers free after I started my charge.  When we left there were 4 non-Tesla chargers available plus mine.  When the services themselves were very busy I still managed to drive in, spot the bank of chargers and get a charge started.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

Participant

Been up to Peterhead (North of Aberdeen) three times now.  The first time was 3 years ago and a nightmare but the last few times have been in the previous 18 months and it’s never been a problem two stops and that’s not hanging around either in a Kona 64 with a stop at Carlisle Ionity and then again at Perth Ionity.  Great journey just a bit tiresome with the road noise from the Kona, it is just under a thousand miles round trip over 3 days due to my father having a stroke and had to be done over a weekend.

Had it been in an ICE vehicle probably could’ve done it quicker but it worked out better as it forced me to take a break and decompress a little.

Djw38uk
              Participant

In the ten or so days I had my Ioniq 5 (see separate thread) I did 1000 miles with three DC public charges and had a similar pleasant experience. With a little planning it really isn’t too stressful.

I even used the Tesla supercharger at Amesbury on the A303 and that went well too.

Participant

The five P’s I was taught in the RAF seem very applicable lol

shawry
                  Participant

So I know range drops noticeably when doing more than 70mph, is there a marked difference from 60-65 and 65-70?

Rhodgie
                    Participant

So I know range drops noticeably when doing more than 70mph, is there a marked difference from 60-65 and 65-70?

Yes, same as with any vehicle

MFillingham
                      Participant

In short, yes.  Purely based on energy and resistance it’s clear the faster you go, the more energy you have to use.

Depending upon the car you have, its aerodynamics and its mechanical efficiencies you’ll see anything from a few miles more to tens of miles extra just by cutting your speed to 65 from 70.  You’d get similar results by cutting again to 60 but there’s a compromise between efficiency and the time of your journey.  For example, I got 243 miles out of my Ioniq 5 on a run with some in reserve and was driving at the relevant speed limit.  I could have pushed that by going at 60 all the way but I’d have arrived late.

Mark

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.