Tell us of your EV charging experiences – the good and the bad.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170690 Reply
    brydo

EVs are our future there is no doubt about that, but charging/range anxiety are, for some, a stumbling block to taking that leap.

So many will have a home charger but I’m sure will have charged when out and about.

In an attempt to inform all of us on how difficult it is to charge away from home please give your experiences to us together with any tips you may have on how to make the process easier.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170702 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Some help on charging can be found here https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#170707 Reply
    kbfern

I have a VW ID4 coming Feb/Mar and have not ordered the free motability charger due mainly to the BP Pulse fiasco. I will be relying on the public charging system rather than bothering with the home charger as I can’t be asked to put up with the probable hassle and additional cost if my install is not a standard one.

I did contact a few local installers but as most of these seem to be inundated with work (solar installs taking priority) can’t do one till next summer or even get out to me to do a survey to see what is involved with my property to cost an EV charge point.

My property is a 1930’s house but has had electrical upgrades over recent times I have an unlooped supply and smart meters and also 100amp main fuse along with the required 25mm sq tails. The only area where I am not sure is whether or not I have an earth bonding issue which was pointed out when I had my smart meters installed in May this year.

If I were to be faced with getting my own charger installed I expect a bill of £1000 or more could quite easily be forecast and the £350 gov grant expires next April IIRC. In addition you still have to pay for the electricity to charge the vehicle which is currently 20p per KWH and the cheap 5p KWH rates for 3-4 hrs a day are not that cheap when faced with the rest at normal rate of 25p per KWH. So if you use a lot of electricity in those other 20 hrs a day you may well be worse off with one of those deals in addition to recovering the install cost over time.

Public charging within a 3-4 mile range of my house seems to be reasonably easy to get and a new Osprey 4 bay 150kw station available 24/7 and is just a 10/15 min drive from my property. Yes it costs 40p per hr and a 20%-80% charge on one of those will cost me £12.48 and take 20 mins or £10.92 and 40 min on a nearer 50kw charger.

So before I recover the £1000 install cost of charger I could have had 83 fast charges so that would pay for charging for  2 years of usage at 6k miles a year. That also excludes what electric I would use at home at 20p + per kw hour so take that into consideration and it would be 3-4 years at least before I would come out ahead with a home charger.

My view is why have the hassle and cost of an EV home install when I can get public charging done fairly easily. Lets face it in 3-4 years time when the cost of a home charger would have been covered quite a lot will have changed.

The next car we get will have a much longer range battery, wireless and other methods of charging will have evolved and who knows it may not even be electric so any current home charger will be obsolete.

At least that’s my view

#170708 Reply
    Brydo

Kpfern just use a granny charger, 9-10 miles of range per hour.

#170709 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I have a VW ID4 coming Feb/Mar and have not ordered the free motability charger due mainly to the BP Pulse fiasco.

Double check with Motability, quite a few people got Ohme chargers through Motability, not BP Pulse.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#170710 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

I would like firstly to offer my opinion on range anxiety. I remember driving a knackered old Vauxhall Victor with a broken fuel gauge, whilst frequently offering it no more than a quids worth of fuel. That In My opinion was range anxiety.
    Our EV only has a range of 143 miles which I am confident would horrify many of you, we live very rurally, which meant we were really feeling the cost of Diesel plus a round trip of 20 miles to nearest fuel station, a ridiculous waste of fuel.
    Now our last car was averaging around 120 miles per week, whilst since having the EV we average around 400 miles a week, not because we have any more commitments, but we can actually use the car without worrying about finance. Obviously many of you won’t be in this position but for those who are it can be a real bonus.

so when we first looked into an EV it appeared we needed to charge for less than 39p per KWH to make it cheaper than diesel,  that has dramatically changed in that several  ev charging suppliers have increased their cost more than once in some cases. But as we all know fuel has already skyrocketed, this is why I have to endorse the faff and inconvenience of applying for a home charger  this allows me to charge at home for 5.5p per kWh for 5 hours a day so I just plug in every day like topping mobile phone. I have often arrived home with less than 10 miles but with no anxiety whatsoever, when out and about I’ll plug in to Aldi or NationalTrust or Tesco for free just adding enough to get home.  When a long trip is planned I’ll leave with a full charge and plan to get home with as little left as possible using Zap-Map. I am extremely pleased with using an EV I have an 8 seater day van and although we have only been using for a total of 3 months we have clocked over 4000 miles without any drama from the EV side of things.

My main advice would be DO NOT refuse home charger if you can get it fitted do, as this will be vital in the future.

#170711 Reply
    colin

I would have least let them have a look, you might get lucky and get a ohme charger. But even a Bo one could make life simpler if the costs are minimal/free

#170712 Reply
    brydo

Windy is that your actual home charger?

#170714 Reply
    kbfern

I have asked motability regarding alternative supplier than BP and they don’t want to know.

The problem in any case is we may have to have additional work carried out which would be extra to us as motability only cover standard install. Because you can’t get an engineer to come out and see what if anything extra is needed it is therefore not possible to go down the home install route.

We only do 6k miles a year normally and in the last 2 yrs of pandemic that has dropped to nearer 3k pa.

Working on doing even 6k the cost of using the public system once a week or less more likely once every 2 weeks makes more sense. Octopus go rate is a waste of time and we have Octopus supply our energy we use most of our electricity between 7am 11pm.

#170716 Reply
    James

I wouldn’t want to rely on a granny charger, our neighbours been using one and now it’s cold they say it adds very little due to pre heating the battery during charging.

They was getting around 50 miles during the cheap period and now only getting half that.

#170717 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

We are fortunate we own our own modern property and have our own drive, Podpoint fitted our 32 amp charger tethered type 1 last year before the grant reduction for £349.99, at some stage in the future when we upgrade the tethered cable will need to be changed to a type 2.

We are with Octopus Go in our area we pay 14.5 pence peak and 5 pence off peak between 00.30 am and 04.30 am.

We occasion top up our charge at the local Tesco’s however recently we have noticed the charging bay being fully occupied by MG EV’s who park up all day and go of shopping in town rather than Tesco’s itself.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#170721 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

We occasion top up our charge at the local Tesco’s however recently we have noticed the charging bay being fully occupied by MG EV’s who park up all day and go of shopping in town rather than Tesco’s itself.

Probably Motability customers who have ordered an EV with no facility to charge at home? 😉

#170722 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Brydo yes that’s the home charger even though non standard got it all done

#170723 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

We picked up our Kia Soul EV in July and used public chargers exclusively until we had a home charger fitted in October. We’ve covered 4000 miles to date, a lot less than normal as I am still working form home.

The public chargers were all Chargeplace Scotland units and were, on the whole, simple to use and readily available. The Forfar charging hub was a favourite as it has 4 rapids, meaning one was always free/working. I had to go to Forfar anyway to collect my wife & go shopping so it was no hardship to go earlier than planned and get a charge once a week.

I have not used any of the supermarket units, I figured the minimal 3-4 kw of charge I would receive in the 30-45mins I spend shopping was not worth the hassle of plugging in. I may even take the type 2 cable out of the car and store it as I did the unopened granny cable.

I’ve not charged publicly since fitting the home charger. Having an alleged range of 280 miles means range anxiety is pretty much non-existent although a trip to Ikea Glasgow saw us down to 8 miles left after the 230 mile round trip at mostly 70mph speeds.

I am not on any special night rates for my leccy. The install of my charger coincided with the rise in prices meaning I am cheaper staying on my current fixed rate for my gas at under 3p a unit.

Finally, I’d also echo the other posts and say get a home charger if at all possible, it makes life so much easier and will save money as public charging rates seem to soar ever upwards. I still only charge once a week, but I can charge up as required if I know I am going to need it.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#170724 Reply
    kbfern

Those who park on ev charge points overly long and even blocked by some ICE cars do that too are being scummy you know, just like the non disability drivers who park in disabled spots.

The numbers who overstay should be going down as the amount of charging points that start charging a premium after 60/90 mins is starting to increase. It will be cheaper to charge for 30-60 mins than leave your car for 3 hrs and do some shopping without paying parking fees.

When I get my car it will be a quick 30/40 min charge and off to let the next person have access rather than hog it for the next person who wants to use it.

#170725 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I am not on any special night rates for my leccy. The install of my charger coincided with the rise in prices meaning I am cheaper staying on my current fixed rate for my gas at under 3p a unit.

Is your electric tariff tied to your gas tariff? Just wondering, we’ve always had separate tariffs for gas and angry pixies. We can change our electricity tariff while keeping our gas tariff.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#170727 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Our tariff is Octopus go faster which is from 8.30 pm to 1.30 which means we can benefit from other uses not just the car stick washing machine on electric fire et. quite handy really bringing down day cost. At 5.5p kWh I put up the monthly payment from £70 to £110 prior to getting car but already I am 120 I. Credit do I think a monthly payment of around £85 in the end will cover house and car. I personally think this is brilliant.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Tell us of your EV charging experiences – the good and the bad.
Your information: