Sub-£30,000 Volkswagen ID.3 due to launch later this month

• Creator
    Topic
  • #127032 Reply
    Brydo

Cheaper entry point brings price of the new Volkswagen ID.3 electric car closer to that of a high-spec Golf, while the range expands with new trim levels and battery options

Pricing and specifications for the full Volkswagen ID.3 range has been announced. Orders for the zero-emission family hatchback will open on October 22, with first UK deliveries due before the end of the month.

Until now, the all-electric ID.3 has only been offered in 1st Edition trim, priced at £38,190. But the range has expanded to offer seven different trim levels, starting with the base Life trim priced at £29,990, a figure which includes the Government’s £3,000 plug-in car grant.

Each of the trim levels are fitted with a range of equipment packages: Design, Infotainment, Comfort, Assistance and Sport – each with slightly more comprehensive ‘Plus’ variants.

In Life trim, the ID.3 offers a standard kit list which includes 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, adaptive cruise control with lane assist and parking sensors all round. In addition, it gets natural voice control inputs and Volkswagen’s Car2X system, which can communicate with other Car2X-equipped vehicles to warn the driver of upcoming hazards.

Life also gets the Infotainment package – a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system with satellite navigation, Bluetooth and smartphone connectivity – plus the Comfort Pack, which includes electrically folding door mirrors, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated seats and a heated steering wheel. The interior is trimmed in black cloth

Above the Life sits the £33,720 Business trim. This adds to the entry-level spec with the Design and Assistance packs. The former brings matrix LED lights, animated LED tail lights, rear privacy glass and interior ambient lighting, and the latter includes a rear view camera, keyless entry and illuminated door handles.

Next is the Style model, priced at £34,180. This also features the Infotainment and Comfort packs, but also features the Design Plus pack, which adds a panoramic sunroof. It does, however, do without the Assistance pack.

Another £480 jump brings the Family trim, which features the Design Plus, Infotainment, Assistance packs. An upgrade to Comfort Plus introduces two-zone climate control and a variable boot floor.

The £36,190 ID.3 Tech gets the standard Comfort Pack, with Design Plus and Assistance Plus. It’s the first trim level to offer the Infotainment Plus pack, which features an uprated sound system and a head-up display with augmented reality animations.

The ID.3 Max, meanwhile, gets Plus versions of the Comfort, Design, Assistance and Infotainment packs. It also adds electrically adjustable front seats with a massage function, and introduces the Sport Package; adding progressive steering and sports suspension to the equipment list (a Plus version of the Sport Pack will be available at a later date, and includes adaptive dampers). The Max is priced at £38,220.

Each of these models are equipped with the Pro Performance powertrain: a 201bhp motor combined with 58kWh battery pack and 100kW DC charging. This enables the ID.3 to accelerate from 0-62mph in 7.3 seconds and onto a 99mph top speed. Charging from 5 per cent to 80 per cent on a rapid charge takes 35 minutes and, depending on trim level, will cover between 258-263 miles on a charge (based on WLTP testing data).

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #127033 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Great news Brydo

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#127038 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

Good info there Brydo. I’m not sure if we’ll see this on the scheme but I really hope we do. Ideally within the next 18 months for me. I’m looking forward to seeing one in real life and I hope I’m not disappointed with it.

In terms of trim, I usually want the best I can get but looking at those specs, I’d be happy with the entry level “Life” spec as it’s got all the features that I’d want.
    The only things I’d like on top are privacy glass and a rear camera but I could easily live without them and I don’t think it’s worth an extra £3.5k. Not sure how that would be reflected in AP though.

#127040 Reply
    Carl

Brydo, thanks for sharing this post.   This is a very exciting addition to the EV family, looks very stylish and is equipped with some excellent standard kit and a decent batter which appears to give excellent range.

Let’s hope the base models come onto the scheme@

#127042 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Window tints & a reversing camera can be added aftermarket for very little.

I think you’re right about the Life spec having pretty much everything needed.

With EVs it’s often best to have the smallest wheels on offer as the range & ride are better.

Range from the 58kW battery is said to be pretty good as the ID3 is efficient.

However, watch out for the Skoda, it’s worth looking at.

#127043 Reply
    Brydo

If this isn’t on the scheme next year I will eat my hat 🎩. This is the type of ev tailor made for motability.

It will sell in the tens of thousands but VW have the capacity to churn these out so next year, Q2 is my guess.

#127044 Reply
    des

What size is this roughly, ka, fiesta, focus?

#127049 Reply
    Brydo

#127052 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

It also weighs 1.8 tonnes, ridiculous for a mid size hatch, way stiffer ride to cope with the huge weight and not the biggest boot either.

#127064 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

So that will make the iD4 way over the schemes price cap.
    mind you that’s only T-roc size so still not big enough for my wife and i to fit our mobility aids in without the seats folded down.

#127085 Reply
    Atiq Urrehman

almost spat my tea out when i read 99mph is the top speed

#127119 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I agree gothitjulie, the glass and camera could be added for a reasonable price but to be honest I don’t think I’d bother. I really like the fact that the entry level ID3 comes with adaptive cruise and heated seats as standard.

Atiq Urrehman, I’m assuming you’re shocked that the top speed seems low? If you think about it, 99mph is more than enough for what the id3 will be used for. Need to remember that it’s a car built for economy and not speed.

#127126 Reply
    kbfern

Even If the true top speed is nearer to 90 than 100mph that is quite fast enough. Lets face it 90% of drivers won’t go much over 85mph.

It’s pretty rapid in the 0-62 @7.3 seconds and that’s where is more use than over 90-95mph.

#127136 Reply
    Brydo

I’d be quite happy for all doing 90+ to be caught and jailed, just saying.

#127143 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I thought the speed limit is the UK was 70mph

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#127721 Reply
    Chub

This is great news I rang the local Volkswagen dealership.yo ask if it will be on the scheme,I was told maybe as I had so many different types. Does anyone no anything more?

#127729 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Those wheels are nasty.

#127733 Reply
    Tharg

Thanks, Brydo. Great post with all the data we need for an idea of what the ID3 is going to be like. Decent spec; 0-60 is more than adequate as is the top speed. Looks good with just an edge of individuality. If VW want a real name for it not just letters and numbers, then “Bauhaus” would seem appropriate. Do agree about the wheels though; awful looking things. Only acceptable if they do something aerodynamic to assist brakes/charging/reverse-thrust landings etc.

#127738 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Configurator is now live on the VW website BTW. Bit disappointing for me and personally would go for the Kia soul every time.

----------------------------
    Tiguan SEL Auto in Tungsten Silver
    Metal Detectorist & scale modeller
    in my spare time

#127741 Reply
    Tharg

Just had a more detailed look at ID3 on VW site. The “base” model seems to have plenty of bits that I want as standard, parking bleepers, warm seats etc. The sub-ton top speed is definitely called for on base model – drum brakes on the rear (!). Hmmm!

#127753 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

@Tharg I didn’t think drum brakes were on any cars these days.

#127760 Reply
    Tharg

@Elliot No. Neither did I. Moreover, I reckon a car weighing in at some 1,600kg kerb weight needs some stopping power, even  if it can’t exceed 100mph. Or am I missing something..? But the VW site definitely says drums at the back. Dunno about other models. Haven’t had time to check.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Sub-£30,000 Volkswagen ID.3 due to launch later this month
Your information: