So most areas have fuel, so the prices can go down now, right?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #166302 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

No sign of fuel prices coming down. Every garage i pass now has fuel, so why are we still paying exorbitant prices.

Its the same old story quick to go up, slow to come down and poor joe public pay the price.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #166304 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Reality is that the petrol prices have nothing (or not much) to do with whether or not there’s shortages in a few select regions.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/crude-oil

This is the reason. The petrol price is tied to the crude oil price, as long as that doesn’t come down, petrol prices won’t come down.

It’s not like petrol prices were cheap the day before the “crisis”.

https://www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-pump-prices-over-time

edit: that’s not to say that they’re not milking it. Point is more that “the crisis” barely had an impact on petrol prices overall. Maybe at a few stations where they jacked up the price due to demand, sure – but not for the most part.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#166305 Reply
    Brydo

In my local petrol station before shortage price for petrol £1.32 per litre, today £1.42 per litre.

#166306 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Maybe at a few stations where they jacked up the price due to demand, sure – but not for the most part.

As i said. We’re paying £1.33 at Asda at the moment. And have been the entire time, more or less. Hasn’t gone down in a while, but raises somewhat slowly.

Certainly no impact of the crisis though, so “ending the crisis” won’t change anything, if a petrol station jacks up prices/extorts people, i’d simply not go and refuel there anymore. We live rural, and even we have three petrol stations (Esso, Asda and Tesco) – quick google reveals the cheap one, that’s the one we drive to.

Speaking for south wales here, btw.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#166311 Reply
    joss

Dearest near me is Esso at £1.47 a litre. Cheapest is Morrisons at £1.33

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#166312 Reply
    72 dudes

Barrel of Crude has reached $80. That’s the reason for the prices as Rene said.

Wasn’t long ago it was $30 a barrel, price was about £1.20 per litre at the time

#166316 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

It’s not just the cost of a barrel of crude as its also relates to how much a £ will buy and after pictures being shown all over the World last month of snowflake Britons panicking at petrol stations sent the £ down because investors lost confidence in the £ so the oil cost more to buy.

That and of course they don’t need many excuses to screw us.

#166317 Reply
    Brydo

I think it’s clear from the price ranges we have seen that the garages are at it.  £1.33 – £1.47 it doesn’t take a genius to work it it we are being taken for mugs.

#166323 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

It’s crazy.

@Brydo
    , have you noticed your car drop in mpg since the E10 change? I’m struggling to get over 37 on a run now whereas I was hitting 42 when I got the XC40 (exactly the same run, same day of the week and same time of day.)

I saw a £1.49 last week but PetrolPrices.com isn’t showing any prices today for some reason.

During lockdown it was £0.99 p/litre.
    That’s an extra £27 per tank fill!

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#166338 Reply
    72 dudes

Brydo said:

I think it’s clear from the price ranges we have seen that the garages are at it. £1.33 – £1.47 it doesn’t take a genius to work it it we are being taken for mugs.

@Brydo
    . I agree that the price of fuel is getting high, but this price differential has always been around.

BP have always been 7 to 8p per litre dearer than the supermarkets in my area. It still is. Yet people still buy it thinking they are getting superior fuel. Are BP “at it”?

Tin of baked beans, 60p plus for Heinz in Waitrose, 19p for own label in Aldi. Are Waitrose and Heinz “at it”?

Or are we the mugs?

I understand that fuel prices have risen across Europe, but not to the extent they have over here.

#166340 Reply
    Wigwam

Business drivers are not price conscious when it comes to buying fuel.  They will buy where it’s convenient which usually means main road and motorway service stations.

We all pay our money and make our choice, except there are no other beans than Heinz.

#166341 Reply
    brydo

@BionicRusty I hadn’t considered the fuel change for the drop in mpg of our xc4. I had put it down to the general drop in temperature. I am losing about 3mpg since the fuel change/temp change which is about 10%.

72Dudes not sure about your baked beans comparison but any garage charging 7 pence per litre more than the local competition is likely to be out of business pretty quickly. Our local BP garage is the cheapest out of the three garages we have.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: So most areas have fuel, so the prices can go down now, right?
Your information: