Should motorway speed limits be lower when it’s raining?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #160478 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160480 Reply
    Gary

Not for me, I understand the reasoning, but I’d rather people just do what they are supposed to do, which is drive to the conditions upto the speed limit.

I’d rather the police punish more freely tbh.

#160486 Reply
    Rene

As someone who’s used to different road conditions, rather than lowering the speed limit, proper construction would be better.

I’ve never seen so much standing water on a motorway when it rains proper, which even at 60mph would be enough to send you into the guard rail. Especially in the dark, where you can’t see the fricking lakes.

#160492 Reply
    joss

Not for me, I understand the reasoning, but I’d rather people just do what they are supposed to do, which is drive to the conditions upto the speed limit. I’d rather the police punish more freely tbh.[/quote

I am with @Gary on this one.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160494 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

I agree with you joss, driver’s should drive to the conditions.

But I can see in the not to distant future your car will adjust its speed automatically.

#160501 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I go slower in the rain relax and listen to radio 2 and think about Louise minchin

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#160503 Reply
    ajn

Plenty of lanes for the snails in the zappers, just move over or don’t go imo😁…

#160506 Reply
    oscarmax

I just drive to the road condition and stay safe,I leave the heroics to the idiots

#160509 Reply
    ajn

Joking obviously 😁

#160513 Reply
    Georgie

I know Common Sense is rarer than hens teeth in Britain these days, but seriously – It would be the thin end of the wedge: 70 for dry, 50 for rain, 10 for icy – and the Police sitting in a lay-by clocking you and fining you for any infringement?

Or just drive appropriately for the conditions.

#160514 Reply
    joss

Police on the motorways @Georgie now that’s a rare site these days. Since the inception of Highways patrols the police moved of the motorways into the urban setting chasing drugs gangs etc.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160519 Reply
    Tim

Snails in zappers @ajn 😂

#160521 Reply
    ajn

Shhh it’s meant to be humour Tim..

#160522 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I find that common sense isn’t that common unfortunately.

I was on the motorway last week and experienced an absolute deluge, I dropped my speed to about 30mph and still couldn’t see the road in front of me, yet the other two lanes had cars going much faster.

Many decades ago I was on the M8 Motorway in the middle of the night, the motorway was empty but covered with ice, this jaguar passed me going way to fast about 500 metres beyond me he went into a spin, like dancing on ice, and came to a stop. Nobody hurt, thankfully, but could have been much worse.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#160524 Reply
    ajn

#160525 Reply
    ajn

You can be as careful as you want, when some clown loses it starts sliding around at speed totally out of control and froze in fright you can easily get outed..

#160527 Reply
    ajn

In all fairness the signs do flash up with reduced speeds sometimes in bad weather, warnings signs to, it just the idiots are going so fast through the spray grasping at the steering wheel have no time to take notice..

#160528 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’m going up M1 tomorrow to spinal injuries northern general Sheffield yearly check up after my appointment I’m calling in Morrison’s down the road for their famous fish chips mushy peas and bread and butter my yearly treat

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Should motorway speed limits be lower when it’s raining?
Your information: