SHOCKING EV

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140162 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Contrary to popular belief (@Brydo),  I don’t hate anything about EVs as such.

I just need a car that can do a motorway round trip of 200 miles without stopping to charge or refuel in any weather conditions as comfortably as our present car.

When such a car appears on the scheme with a reasonable AP, I’ll be first in the queue for a test drive.

#140171 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Lets face it some people love em, some people hate them. Some except them and some want to go out kicking and screaming. they are not for everyone at the moment but that moment will come and it has too unless we all want to find another planet to live on. Personally i love mine and ive only had it a week, everywhere i drive i have a huge smile on my face, most of that is due to the acceleration but it also feels less of an effort to drive compared to a combustion engine even one with an auto box.

I for one will never go back to driving a combustion engine now and im sure given the chance no one else would either, im confident 5 to 10 years from now they will be the norm on roads across the globe. and not only will it be a cleaner place but also a quieter one too.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#140172 Reply
    Chris
    Participant

To be fair if the video was titled ” man drives ev with no fuss and all went jolly well ” nobody would watch it. Seems to me like poor planning played a major role in his downfall! I think anyone planning a long journey in an ev would plan it out in major detail, just like planning a journey with toilets that you can use a radar key.

Personally I think when they figure out hydrogen fuel cells fully ( setting up filling networks ) then long journeys will become comparable to fossil fuels. Their is already 2 hydrogen powered show homes next to where I live ( gateshead ) so I think the future will be a mix of electric and hydrogen.

#140173 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Creo que es importante tener la mente abierta para considerar lo bueno y lo malo antes de llegar a una conclusión, para algunas personas un coche eléctrico es una buena idea pero por otro lado hay otras que no van a ser aptas para, pero sobre todo es necesario saberlo todo para tomar la decisión correcta.

Translation, more or less. I think it is important to have an open mind to consider the good and the bad before reaching a conclusion, for some people an electric car is a good idea but on the other hand there are others that are not going to be suitable for, but above all it is You need to know everything to make the right decision.

Too many people have already made their mind up before a full appraisal of all the facts and information.

#140179 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

We are in a changing world. There will never be a time when we have all the facts and information, fwippers, about anything.

All we can do is deal with what we’ve got.  If EVs as currently offered suit your lifestyle, yippee. If they don’t we can only hope they will at some point in the future.  Or of course something better comes along.

#140197 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Electric vehicle fanboy and fangirls thoughts on what they hate about electric vehicles.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxYXAXGcKw What do you hate about EV’s ? For me it would be the long charging time.

Charge times, worry over where to charge, greatly extended journey times, late night journeys, service stations at peak times, cold weather, etc etc etc etc etc.

I’m afraid that comments like ‘ most journeys are under 30 miles’ etc mean nothing to a large % of the population. And please, no need to assume that I am not in favour of EVs. I would love one. We cover a lot of miles and anything to reduce an £80/week fuel bill would be much appreciated.

A lot can happen in 9 years and I really hope it does. But as things stand, no thanks.

#140198 Reply
    Brydo

It’s easy to work out, the average yearly mileage in the U.K. is about 7,500, divide by 365 days = 20 miles per day.

#140200 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You’re not serious Brydo?  So we all do 20 miles a day? Who knew?   I’m sure I only did 5 miles today – must have some catching up to do later this evening.

Totally meaningless statistic.

#140203 Reply
    Brydo

Of course it’s not meaningless wigwam.
    The clue is of course in the word “average” and it’s as good a guide as any to use.

#140205 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It is useless as a statistic.  Average IQ is a 100. What does that tell you? Only that half the population is below average IQ.

#140212 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

brydo, i am not going to continue this no matter what anyone says supported by whatever data if it doesnt fit the world according to wigwam its irrelevant,meeaningless or you get insulted so its not worth the effort and i am not going to lose any sleep over it.

it has been aknowledged by pretty much everyone that ev’s dont suit those that have to do lots of miles or need lots of passenger/boot space. but as most people it has been shown do short local journies an ev could work but if you have the temerity to say that you get wigwammed.

#140214 Reply
    Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>So would the opposite of who evs are not suited to be everyone one with <100 mile commute and charging available at home? That would be a lot of people rather than the one offs quoted</p>

#140215 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

What about those who also find it hard to plan a journey and have other disabilities, they may have a brain injury or mental health issues etc and not everyone’s condition is the same and combine that with not having a driveway and not being able to walk any distance. We are not your average normal people are we.. The car is my life line.

So i find some peoples attitudes on this forum hypocritical and sometime’s not funny at all. Maybe it’s because they do not have these disabilities themselves. but all the same it seems once again it’s ok for some to insult users, for there 100% valid concern’s and opinions.

It seems some want to tell other’s how good an ev is, but did not get one themselves recently and went for a petrol suv, but maybe next time they will.. Now he will say why do i bother, all i get is stress on this forum. Maybe that’s because you do not also have a disability and don’t depend on a car for your freedom to get out and about.. Clearly you do not understand the situation quite alot of us find ourselves in because of our conditions.

If an ev does suit your day to day needs that’s great, but for those who drive further quite often.. like driving across europe etc. Driving long distances (sometimes at the drop of a hat and unplanned) it’s not practical right now. it’s not for everyone (It’s ok to have that view) Quite a few find them unsuitable right now for there needs and life, including brydo, and this is why brydo did not get one this time… but still he pushes them to people and says others are anti everything?.. for having the same view, he does or why did he not  make a sacrifice now to get an ev. The fact is he did not and that speaks volumes on the arguement.

I have no problem with that descion to not get an ev but aleast others who have took the pludge and can speak from their perspective, I have respect for them as they practice what they preach but again, it does not suit all of us right now.. for various reasons and why should those an ev doesn’t suit, be treated in the way they are on this forum.. Over and over i don’t hear people having a go at people for getting an ev, but i do for saying why they not suitable for them to get one and for me the biggest problem is it is being forced upon us.

#140224 Reply
    Ian

And there maybe your answer not every car is suitable for everybody….advantages and disadvantages for all.

The challenge is to make the correct choice for you recognising others won’t make the same one.

I chose Ev I’ve saved £5000 in fuel, do not feel range anxiety or restricted by my choice. I’ve get my circumstances are different to others. I defend my choice from people who feel the need to attack.

I refuse to attack others people choices, what gives me the right to do that?

My choice is my choice yours in yours.

I do feel frustrated when people do not have the knowledge, experience or understanding to criticise another’s choice though as clearly can be seen in this thread.

#140231 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Exactly ian that’s great. We all different and have different needs and lives and often it’s about what works for you best, not others and it seems if some do not agree they insult people and try to make fools out of them. life is to short for that… but it is the world we live in right now.

#140234 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

What about those who also find it hard to plan a journey and have other disabilities, they may have a brain injury or mental health issues etc and not everyone’s condition is the same and combine that with not having a driveway and not being able to walk any distance.

It may be easy to solve the planning a journey part, although there is a cost:

1. ABRP – A Better Route Planner – It’s an app that now also works with Apple Carplay, maybe Android Auto too, although it’s only just arriving on these platforms. You tell it your start point & your destination, it then uses temperature, wind direction, live traffic data, elevations, to work out how much electricity a journey will require and suggest various places to charge on the route. You can plot routes across a continent with this using tens of chargers.

2. Power Cruise Control – Another route planner app, but one that you connect through the car’s OBD-II port so it knows things like battery temperature as well as the outside temperature, wind direction, etc etc. It uses a graphic screen to encourage you to drive economically to complete your journey, or tells you where you can charge.

ABRP is around £49.95 per year, which is expensive, and Power Cruise Control is around £20 per year. You’d only use these if you had trouble planning manually, or if you did a lot of driving in an EV. Some of us use such apps to “look into” the battery & ancillary gadgetry to monitor their performance in real time, but we’re really sad.

But, the point is, there is help out there.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

https://www.powercruisecontrol.com/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by gothitjulie.
    #140319 Reply
    Daf

Ian like you I have been lucky enough to be able to embrace EV technology, not just because it is less expensive and all the other tech advantages but because by continuing with ICE millions of peoples health will be compromised. Not just by climate change but by the polution that is increasingly being implicated as a cause of illnesses of the respiratory system, Alzheimer’s, under development of the organs of young people etc.

We must embrace cleaner technologies before climate change becomes irreversible. Personally I dont care whether that is by EV, Hydrogen or any other clean alternative.

#140323 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Rox is right, the coping difficulties some people suffer will not be fixed by offering them an app.

#140325 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Thx for the info julie, it may help some but it may not be useful for some for various reasons also. Like having a sat nav or voice stuff or if your older using apps might not be so good. but as always great info and i do appreciate it..

Personally i just don’t think about economy much when i am driving and in the golf i did have before, you could do blue training but only with the car in eco mode and it would coast when you took your foot of the gas. Which was useful but what, was not good, was having to press the gas peddle down more to make the car move in eco mode. Which makes my condition worse driving.  So often i use sport mode as it means i have to press the gas less down. Also as i use adaptive cruise alot of the time, then it did not coast at all.

I must admit it was a good game seeing how far i could coast. but just not practical for me to use it.

#140327 Reply
    Daf

You may be right Wigwam but offering them an increasingly poisoned environment will be a darn sight worse. We must make the new tech as user friendly as possible for the most vulnerable but pretending we can carry on as before is really not a serious option.

#140328 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Not for you, DAF, obviously. But not everyone thinks like you about the “environment”

#140330 Reply
    Phil

I’ll be waiting closer to 2030 and seeing just how much has changed until I take the plunge. Everything seems too expensive, and a bit of a faff  on atm. I’m in no rush…I’ll probably have another petrol,even after the CLA gets delivered next month (fingers crossed) taking me up to 6 years from now.

#140336 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I’ll be waiting closer to 2030 and seeing just how much has changed until I take the plunge. Everything seems too expensive, and a bit of a faff on atm. I’m in no rush…I’ll probably have another petrol,even after the CLA gets delivered next month (fingers crossed) taking me up to 6 years from now.

My thoughts exactly Phil. I have a new ICE car on order waiting to be delivered & my next car after that will also be an ICE. Six years from now however, the infrastructure where I live might have improved enough from where it is now to consider an EV.

#140337 Reply
    Daf

You’re so right Wigwam, theres a lot of ignorance around. Some will only realise how important the environment is when it’s no longer viable. However there are increasing numbers rejecting the “Trumpist” view of the world. Let’s hope our intelligence overcomes our ignorance for all our sakes.

#140339 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

You’re so right Wigwam, theres a lot of ignorance around. Some will only realise how important the environment is when it’s no longer viable. However there are increasing numbers rejecting the “Trumpist” view of the world. Let’s hope our intelligence overcomes our ignorance for all our sakes.

What evidence is that based on then. Think different to the narritive and you are ignorant. Yep that will surely change my mind.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
Reply To: SHOCKING EV
Your information: