Quandary on choosing

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

Hi,

the perennial issue of choosing a new car is made worse by loads of choice. I remember my dear Dad having hardly any choice in cars on the scheme when I was younger. Not complaining, but it is a difficult choice.
      last lease was a Mazda CX-5 which I love size and comfort mainly. Not the fastest and quite thirsty but has a lot of good things going for it. I change on september and sign in late June.

on the list

Volvo T5 inspiration pro

golf gtd

peugeot 5008 1.2 eat8

also since the ridiculously good AP of the Hyundai Kona brings this up the on the list as well.
      I travel to Sussex once a month generally rest of the time it is local in North Yorkshire. But I’m hoping to start touring soon again. So mpg is important all of a sudden.

any comments / thoughts.

Cheers, all the very best

Vaun

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Intranicity
      Participant

If you can live with the size, you’ll love the Kona, currently averaging 350mpg, 3500 miles in and I still love driving it,

Previous Motability Cars
        2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
        2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
        2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
        2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
        2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
        2021 - 2023 Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE
        2023 - Hyundai Kona Electric Ultimate

Richardw
        Participant

All 4 are nice cars albeit for different reasons. My personal opinions are

The Golf is great and very economical but was just too small for us even as a second car.

Kona has the obvious advantage of very low running costs but also too small  for us and the pure electric ‘thing’ is not suitable for our rural North Yorkshire lifestyle as things stand with charging infrastructure etc

Volvo was lovely. Excellent quality, great looking but even in recharge form not particularly economical and pure electric range fairly short.

Haven’t driven the 5008 so can’t offer any first hand experience of it. I am very impressed with Peugeot and have just ordered the 3008 hybrid4. The pure electric range is long enough to easily cover the 25 mile round trip for the school run twice a day so should be able to make some considerable savings.

Participant

Hi Richard,

You’re totally right about it all. My main worry with the Volvo was the none electric mpg. But I do need some space. I was reminded of it when I took my dad out for the first time in a year ( covid) and remembered  the reason why I got a cx5 again as my Dad is a wheelchair user so need some space, he doesn’t drive now. Also we have two dogs. And I am an occasional wheelchair user myself ( albeit rare thank goodness). The 3008 is gorgeous and the hybrid4 is very very fast. I test drove the pre facelift car last month and was very impressed. I think I’ll go back to Peugeot and ask to drive a 5008 1.2 pure tech and see if I can live with the relatively low power. Although the 2 wheel drive 3008 hybrid get premium is a great choice for me too.

Vaun

Participant

My only issue with the kona is size. I need to see one drive it so I can see what the wheelchair situation is like.

Vaun

Richardw
              Participant

Hi Vaun

It’s not easy, you can send yourself crazy overthinking things. You’re right about the Volvo, lovely but I just needed a bit more electric range to make the savings count. I could have got the 2 wheel drive 3008 hybrid but the price difference is fairly small and although 300 bhp is completely unnecessary I just thought, why not. Volvo AP was the same anyway.

Richard

Regards

Richardw
                Participant

Just to add, 4wd was the obvious advantage with living where we do on the North York Moors.

Richard

That was what struck the Kona off for me, I was gutted I’d already decided the second the Kona got affordable I was ordering then I went to see one & was gutted it was just a tiny bit too small not much a taller boot (depth & width were OK but you couldn’t put a dog in there & have them sit up well a decent size dog) & rear legroom just, just too small which was why I went back to choosing the MG ZS it’s absolutely huge in comparison to the rest the MG5 is a monster too about the only large EVs on the scheme right now.

Seems to hard to find the larger cars these days everything has gotten stupid with SUVs that look huge outside but inside are relatively small, real shame.

I’d rather have much choice it’s a lovely problem to have, you can at least run it down quickly fuel type, transmission, max AP, seats, body style run thru that to get the list down a bit.

Better too much choice than an Invacar roflmao

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.