Preparing for an EV- advice on charger

• Creator
    Topic
  • #164684 Reply
    Psuader

I am pretty sure that my next Motability car will be an EV. I’m really excited by the prospect but have a concern. What if I order one, get all excited and at the last hurdle the charger can’t be installed for one reason or another relating to the wiring at my property?

Is it possible to get an assessment done now on my existing electrics to avoid all that fuss, by the nominated suppliers of EV chargers? I think its BP?

I believe BP are falling behind in terms of time taken to install chargers for orders delivered, so that may not be an option.

I wonder if a rival might at least do a no obligation assessment?

What do you think?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164685 Reply
    struth
    Participant

there was a video going about on motability re this i think..  sure there will be some threads on here too.

#164687 Reply
    Ldc7080

I can’t speak for Hyundai but Kia and VW Evs are in a 5-6 month lead time.  I think BP will be able to sort you out in such a time frame

#164688 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

There are any number of independent companies fitting EV charging points who will do a survey and quote for the work, Psuader.  You may have to send them pictures of your meter and charger locations.  They will let you know if you are likely to face any difficulty.  Obviously you’re not under any obligation to go ahead with them.

#164689 Reply
    Psuader

Thanks Wigwam!

#164690 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

I put up a post yesterday with some helpful tips etc (admin maybe make this sticky?) when it comes to electricity supply etc.

Motability will only provide a free charger if you park within your property boundary, otherwise they give you a BP Pulse card which can get you free but slow public charging.

If you are going to have to purchase a charger after much research you will be hard-pressed to beat the Hypervolt Home 2.0.  Installers love them and the customer service and feedback looks top draw. I’m looking at £1100 supplied and fitted but if I get favourable electricity rates I can recover this in just over a year by the cost difference compared to diesel (10k miles).

#164695 Reply
    kbfern

I wonder if it’s possible to get the £350 Gov grant off that £1100 it would soften the blow a bit.

OLEV Grants

#164698 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

No grant for us as parking space not within our boundary line.

#164702 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

otherwise they give you a BP Pulse card which can get you free but slow public charging..

Incorrect.  If you can’t have a charger installed you get a 3 year free subscription to BP Pulse, but you still have to pay for your electric usage.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#164703 Reply
    Ian

Also remember you can charge wiyh a 3 pin plug albeit a little slower…..

#164704 Reply
    Jacippit
    Participant

otherwise they give you a BP Pulse card which can get you free but slow public charging..

Incorrect. If you can’t have a charger installed you get a 3 year free subscription to BP Pulse, but you still have to pay for your electric usage.

See below taken from BP Pulse website – free charging.

Free charging at selected points.

pulse

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Jacippit.
    #164706 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Yes, just as you get free charging at Tescos. but there are hardly any “Free” BP Pulse chargers, but there are plenty of “Free” chargers out there that are not BP Pulse.

The 3 year subscription gives you reduced rate charging.

Slow 7kW 16p kW compared to 26p
    Fast (Upto 50kW) 23p kW compared to 35p
    Ultra (100kW plus) 42p regardless of subscription.

PS I have the Free Subscription so know how it works, but rarely use it as I have better offers through Hyundai

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#164726 Reply
    Psuader

Thanks all so far. My issue is that the ones I’ve approached keep asking for ME to do the assessment, taking pictures of fuse boards etc. I want them to do the assessment!

#164728 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Any reason not to take the pictures? They can decide from the pictures what’s need the same as being there. They don’t do any testing.

#164742 Reply
    struth
    Participant

interestingly i decided to open the wooden casing where my dno fuse is. it used to be looped but was changed a good few years ago.  anyway i got a pic but there is no markings on it to see.  my tails are 12.5 mm re my micrometer tho.

im guessing fuse is probably 60 but no way of knowing.

im guessing its probably wise im not getting an electric now although i wanted a kona ultimate tbh but was told it would be a long time.dno

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Preparing for an EV- advice on charger
Your information: