PIP & MOTABILITY being REPLACED in SCOTLAND 2021

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #121230 Reply
    martino
    Participant

chris i had dla for life i got it at 16 now 53 changed to PIP got it ongoing (i think they called it) , unfortunatly forget about you i don’t think they’ll

#121235 Reply
    Littledave

I was responding to Bowley101. I apologise for apolitical comment.

Very puzzled that no one has picked up that the Scottish scheme removes the mobility content from over 65 year olds.

Apart from me, is no one over 65?

This is a massive change for a large number of disabled people.

#121236 Reply
    martino
    Participant

Littledave OMG I think you are correct i didnt look at that park cause im 53 , so with dla and pip ( i think ) if you make a successful claim for pip before you are 65 you continue to get it , but with the scottish one when you get to 65 you dont get the mobility part so losing money , its like attendance allowance, why is that any one know. iv tried to find more information about but cant really find much,

it’ll change in a few years anyway .

#121237 Reply
    Dafydd

Are you saying that under the new Scottish scheme, claimants currently receiving the mobility element will have it taken from them?

Or are you saying that if you are over the age of 65 you cant get the mobility element on a new claim, because if so that is the case south of the border as well.

#121238 Reply
    martino
    Participant

tba im a bit confused about the whole thing , yes my understanding of it is the mobility part is taken away, and you can not make a new claim after 65  but i might be wrong..

#121240 Reply
    Brydo

It certainly isn’t clear but surely as the money is being paid from the U.K. pot the funds for over 65s will still be coming to the Scottish government.

#121244 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Don’t apply common sense to government plans Brydo…it’ll end in tears.

Even if Westminster sends the full funds, the Scottish Gov can decide how its issued, so, if they say no Motability to over 65’s (which could be a cock-up, they simply forgot, or could be they think that’s fair as you are no longer of working age) then yes, they can easily do so.

My take on it is it will not continue past retirement age unless the documentation expressly states it will. And yes, its a huge blow to the disabled if they lose the mobility component on retirement – especially if you have complex mobility needs such as an adapted WAV.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#121245 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

It certainly isn’t clear but surely as the money is being paid from the U.K. pot the funds for over 65s will still be coming to the Scottish government.

But isn’t the whole point of devolution, that no matter where the money comes from, on the matters devolved to the Scottish/Welsh/NI Government/Assemblies, it is upto the them how the money is spent?

If the MSP’s/AM’s/Stormont decide to spend the received revenue on other things, it is upto them.

Similarly with the NHS where Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland’s devolved Government/Assemblies decided to make all prescriptions free of charge out of their allocated budget. In England, the UK government still imposes prescription charges (unless one is exempt).

#121250 Reply
    Brydo

That’s correct Dave but Nicola is a person trying to make things better for the disabled and vulnerable so for her to make things worse doesn’t compute. My feeling is that things will stay the same as they are now.

#121258 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-government-position-paper-mobility-component-disability-assistance-older-people-daop/

My apologies Littledave, I’d missed that key part. I’m not in the demographic being 49, but that’s no excuse. I’ve done a little digging, stopping short of actually reading the whole government paper, and turned up the above link from February this year. It seems pretty clear from this that there will be no mobility component to any disability benefit paid over 65. From what I can ascertain, it’s almost entirely based on financial affordability, with some caveats to fairness thrown in to make it less money driven. I’d be interested to hear what others pick up from the document though.

#121262 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

This is from the above link :

Any change in policy that increases entitlement may incur additional costs and impact on access to ‘passported’ benefits delivered by DWP.
    Under current DWP administration, clients in receipt of disability benefits may be entitled to additional ‘passported’ benefits and DWPpremiums where the disability benefit acts as a ‘passport’ to automatic entitlement of additional benefits or premiums. If we were to introduce a mobility component to Disability Assistance for Older People, DWP may not pay these reserved premiums or benefits.

There is also a risk that, should eligibility rules diverge significantly from current DWP rules, Disability Assistance may not continue to be recognised as ‘like for like’ for passporting purposes. This would put all reserved passported benefits at risk for clients eligible for Disability Assistance. We know that these passported benefits are very important to many people receiving Disability Assistance.

This seems to be saying that they don’t want to interfere with the passported benefits associated with DLA currently. So, those that are entitled to mobility payments via a passport system currently (Over 65) will still be able to do so. There won’t be a separate mobility benefit for over 65, as there isn’t one now under DWP rules. I think my understanding is right, but feel free to question it. It would be a further enhancement of this strange new world if an SNP government took benefits away from a minority group whilst a Conservative government continued to offer them.

#121264 Reply
    martino
    Participant

Bowly101  i cant find the full government paper on it,

can someone put up the link cause i’d like to read it ,make interesting bedtime reading

#121268 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

https://www.gov.scot/policies/social-security/benefits-disabled-people-ill-health/

This page links to all the various disability benefits, and somewhere on the page are the links to all the associated government papers.

#121291 Reply
    Dafydd Humphreys

Given the record of the Scottish government I have no doubt they will improve rather than degrade any extra responsibilities they are given.

They are already committing themselves to reducing the number of face to face meetings that so many of us have found so distressing.

I would love to see the same powers come to Wales.

#121295 Reply
    Brydo

Dafydd the only way for wales to get similar powers as Scotland is for the welsh to vote in large numbers for Plaid Cymru “the party of Wales”.

#121297 Reply
    martino
    Participant

i read this

Eligibility
    This is for people who meet the following criteria:

people who are age 16 to state pension age (which in 2021 will be 65) and
    people who have difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) and
    have had the physical or mental difficulty for at least 3 months and expect it to continue for at least 9 months. If a person is terminally ill these qualifying periods do not apply
    Entitlement decisions
    Social Security Scotland will make decisions about entitlement for DAWAP using the applicants account of their circumstances and existing supporting information, where possible.

Examples of supporting information include:

a social care needs assessment
    a report from a community psychiatric nurse
    information from a carer

#121302 Reply
    Daf

Martino I think that is pretty much identical to the scheme south of the border. I have no doubt however that there will be a far more human and compassionate face to the scheme in Scotland. I’ve worked for both the UK and Welsh governments and the difference in approach is truly revealing.

#121412 Reply
    martino
    Participant

Daf yeh i just cant be leave(its not butter) i need to go through all this again and hope i get the same result

Viewing 18 replies - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
Reply To: PIP & MOTABILITY being REPLACED in SCOTLAND 2021
Your information: