“Our Daily Digest”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #178184 Reply
    joss

The place to share what you’re doing, thinking, planning on a daily basis, with a group of sociable friends and acquaintances.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #179092 Reply
    POPS

Thanks struth. 👍

#179095 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@joss and @POPS Oh, thank you so much for those videos. Axe lady plays mean blues and, whilst I’d never come across PMJ before, I shall now explore in depth. The trio singing All About the Bass are just brilliant. Each with her own individual voice which come together in fantastic harmony, must try and find more by them singing together. Would be better without the video though, they are all what a gentleman must call “quite charming”. It can be difficult to listen to the music in detail while being distracted by their charmingness!

What I loved about the PMJ stuff was that everyone was just having a great time, enjoying themselves making music.

#179098 Reply
    joss

Thank @Tharg

Joss

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179100 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

happy st davids day

St David is the Patron Saint of Wales
    No not the pub down the road selling those real ales
    March the 1st is a special day
    To all true Welshmen even living miles away

For on that day we celebrate 100 years of life
    Of David who reigned as Bishop and Archbishop over mortal strife
    His last words were in a sermon I did read
    ” Be joyful keep your faith and creed

Do the little things you have seen me do and heard about, he said
    And walk the path our fathers trod, take heed now for I’ll soon be dead”
    And in March the 1st AD589, Dewi Sant slipped off his mortal coil they say
    Which henceforth became known as “St David’s Day”

#179101 Reply
    POPS

Thanks for the insight Mike. It makes me realise how little I know, and makes me determined to keep learning, even at my age.

#179105 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Joss haven’t watched “all about the bass” in ages, absolutely brilliant, although i must confess its the first time ive watched it with the volume up lol.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#179107 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Another of my favs.

#179109 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Love a bit of opera.

Carmen – Habanera (Bizet; Anna Caterina Antonacci, The Royal Opera)

#179111 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

An Audience With Billy Connolly

#179116 Reply
    ajn

Well the Welsh cakes were lovely too Mike 700, can’t stop peeing now though must have been all the coffee..

Billy Connolly, I loved the one about Jaws and his flipper..

#179156 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

In an effort to hear more of the charming trio from PMJ, I sought out songs by Hailey Reinhart. She has done a cover version of White Rabbit from Jefferson Airplane. I never thought I’d hear anyone better than Grace Slick do those lyrics, but Reinhart at least equals her. Astonishing.

#179160 Reply
    POPS

I loved Grace Slick and thought life so unfair that she didn’t know I existed. When I was about 18 years old, she sang a song called “Somebody to love”, and I was hooked. Happy memories of a time when I fell in love many times.

#179182 Reply
    struth
    Participant

another blues guy to maybe have a listen to if you havent heard of him is the australian, C W Stoneking. Jungle Blues being his best album imo.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#179394 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

OMG! PMJ? OTT! (changing name to The Acronym Kid?) Seriously, though, you’ve got me hooked on PMJ creations. Always listenable. Fun, intriguing music. And occasionally some super surprises: A three-part harmony version of Tell Me What You Want is a knockout – was more than halfway through before I realised it was a cover of Spice Girls hit. And a version of the Kinks You Really Got Me is just stunning – so different to original and hooks you in straight away.

#179398 Reply
    The Acronym Kid

LOL

#179408 Reply
    joss

Are you ready for another of my gems ? Caro Emerald

Caro Emerald & Metropole Orkest – Live @ Het Concertgebouw, Amsterdam (2013)  1hr 40mins

Joss

#179415 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

GG, tak. Ronnie Barker would love it, remember… FUNEM?

#179427 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

I am also reminded of the archaeologists who unearthed a large round pot, unusually, with only one handle. Engraved on the side was

Itis apis spotanda bigone

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Tharg. Reason: edited to try and remove odd type markup stuff
    #179430 Reply
    joss

I am also reminded of the archaeologists who unearthed a large round pot, unusually, with only one handle. Engraved on the side was Itis apis spotanda bigone

It is a piss pot and a big one

Joss

#179432 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. An old gag but one that needs to be repeated before it gets lost. 🙂

And a million thanks for the vid of Ms Emerald. Most enjoyable – and just about the biggest jazz band I’ve ever seen!

Have a couple of vid’s I’d like to post (of Gaby Moreno). Now going away to work out how to do it. BBS

#179434 Reply
    joss

To post YouTube vids simply click on the screen of the video and select copy video url. Then post it in your post here @Tharg

Joss

#179435 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cheers, Joss. Saved me poking about for an hour and getting it wrong. Hopefully, catering permitting, will put something up this afternoon(-ish)

#179458 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Right then, let’s see if this works. This is an “official” vid of Gaby Moreno singing Ave que Emigra. She does some great live performances (might try one later) but the sound quality is crap. Put this schmaltzy one in here just to let the good audio show the range and stunning nature of her voice. Harmonies at the end are lovely…

#179462 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yippee! Worked! Here’s a live one, with orchestra, of her song Illusion. She writes most of her own stuff, wins awards for it too. Just love the words to this, hope the audio quality ain’t too bad…

#179464 Reply
    joss

Well done on posting Videos @Tharg. She is not half bad is she. I love to watch the facial expressions of someone sing as she does. Nice on Old chap.

Joss

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 138 total)
Reply To: “Our Daily Digest”
Your information: