“Our Daily Digest”

• Creator
    Topic
  • #178184 Reply
    joss

The place to share what you’re doing, thinking, planning on a daily basis, with a group of sociable friends and acquaintances.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #179472 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@joss “Facial Expressions”? Try this one, then. Maledicion Benedicion, live Spanish Country & Western with  everyone having a brilliant time!

#179473 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Last one. Honest. Just came across this one. Just a stunning display of an astonishing voice. Even her fellow musicians can’t believe what she does

#179561 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Meanwhile, back at other ODD subjects. As mentioned ages ago to @POPS my little mains electric mower finally gave up from overwork. Thought about a battery, cordless jobbie but way too expensive for a decent one with a short cut (which I need) and ability to chop some serious long grass (Old neighbour’s so-called “lawn”). POPS told me about his petrol one and, well, a good small ICE mower is cheaper and more capable than battery. Now owner of smallest Honda push-propelled 145cc petrol chap. Very happy thus far. Has halved cutting time: no lead to fiddle with, wider and more consistent cut. Bit heavy but, there again, so is my ancient cast-iron Qualcast Panther which I’ll still use in high summer when I want a Wimbledon finish.

#179573 Reply
    POPS

In my opinion you’ve made an excellent choice Tharg. 👍

#179578 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Cheers, POPS. And thanks for sort of steering me in the petrol-powered direction. Was blinded by an excess of data, just like choosing a car. So went down the same route as I do for that. Get the best power-to-weight ration you can and test the opinion of others. The Honda was the only make which did not have “owner issues” with reliability, startability, cut-short-and-long grassability. And, oh yes, they last forever apparently.

#179582 Reply
    POPS

Honda are a very well regarded maker of motor mowers. Cheers.

#179642 Reply
    struth
    Participant

yup great engine in honda. i had one of their generators for work etc and it just started and ran without issue. even covered in concrete lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#179654 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Mr Honda’s engine in this mower just demolished neighbour’s 8″ long lawn with no problems at all – even set on a relatively short cut. Took longer to clear the fallen palm-tree spike leaves than it did to cut the lawn. (Nothing cuts those things, made of veggie-metal I think. They just wrap round the drive spindle).

Regret that Mr H didn’t have a suitable vehicle on the scheme last time I ordered. Always hankered after one of those 2000 coupes.

#180423 Reply
    struth
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Been having a film day again. Last of day is Jeremiah Johnston. Classic tale roughly based on true story.</p>

#180425 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Hope this is appropriate place to raise this issue. Am a bit concerned about the continuing covid nastiness. As I said earlier in another thread, increasing numbers of friends and neighbours are catching the damn thing. Yes, I know the omicron version is more catchable. But all of those we know who’ve come down with it are fully vaccinated and a couple of them have had it very badly.

Moreover, plans for a further booster do not seem to exist. There are some boosters being offered now but only to adults aged 75 and over; residents in care homes for older adults;  and those aged 12 and over with weakened immune systems.

Bit worrying. Those who initially classified as “Clinically Extremely Vulnerable” have been allowed to drop off everyone’s list of those needing help. Anyone know how to get a booster even if you’re not on standard list?

Don’t know what the recent government stats are saying about infection rates and deaths. Will go take a look…

#180426 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Yes it’s quite worrying up here. Triple jabbed won’t get another until late autumn, unless your in one of the group’s.

I’ve a few friends who have recently caught it, at least one is badly immune zero as he had a double kidney transplant recently.

I’m just continuing to be reclusive and clean everything that enters house etc. They think this high level may peak in a couple of weeks

#180428 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup, us too. Continuing to keep isolated as far as possible. Was thinking I’d start going in supermarkets  again instead  of getting deliveries but changed mind with increasing infections.

BTW, struth, probably best to put any further hat stuff in here rather than weather thread. Don’t want to upset the hat-free folks! 🙂

#180429 Reply
    struth
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Lol. Here is a few.</p>

#180431 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Yup, us too. Continuing to keep isolated as far as possible. Was thinking I’d start going in supermarkets again instead of getting deliveries but changed mind with increasing infections. BTW, struth, probably best to put any further hat stuff in here rather than weather thread. Don’t want to upset the hat-free folks! 🙂

Yeah, only shop I go into is the garage m&s when it’s quite maybe  if I need anything.

I still get my food delivered or I pick it up at the collection point. Lads are always helpful and pack it for me.

I’ve not been in a proper shop since it started and not touched anyone for over 2 years. I’m officially a hermit

#180433 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Brilliant collection, Mr struth. Those Panamas are very good. Also love the wide-brim fedora. Will try to get a snap of a few of mine.

#180434 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i used to buy one every year when wife was alive; often at that time from usa(amazon often), as they had better value and choice to uk. not so much these days tho. got a good few caps too.

oh and ive plent hair lol

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by struth.

#180481 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Meanwhile, back on the Covid worries thing. The BBC News says that the infection rate is sky-high. Moreover, it is highest among seniors: the rate among over-70s is the very highest we have ever had. No sign of our sharing, caring government doing bugger all about it.

Now I know there are some folks who say the Beeb misuses the govt’s confusing, unclear and sometimes contradictory stats. But the fact remains that whatever stats you use, the Covid dangers are rising, especially for us oldies. Boris should get his fat, private-healthcare-covered finger out of its orifice and bloody well do something.

#180675 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

@struth As threatened, finally done snap of me titfers…

The two Panamas in centre are Montecristi, bought in Tenerife for about £30 each. Today’s prices at least double that! The other one to the right is a charity shop job – made of paper, about £3, brilliant for gardening. Brown and grey are Linney, good quality but can’t seem to find ’em anymore. Front black one is M&S (£6 Charity again) allegedly “poet” style. The tweedy thing cost next to nothing and gets used the most. Lives with walking sticks by front door and gets donned at the merest hint of cool weather. Dead comfy and goes with nearly everything.

#180830 Reply
    struth
    Participant

great set of hats Tharg… your ‘poets’ one is a nice shape.  grey fedora is a classic too…

#180976 Reply
    joss

Today is my 65 birthday Guys. I’m chuffed to bits I made this far, all things considered. 👍🎂

Joss

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#180980 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Today is my 65 birthday Guys. I’m chuffed to bits I made this far, all things considered. 👍🎂

Happy 65Th Birthday Joss 😉

Are you doing anything special or just having a chilled day.

#180984 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well, I did think about trying to sing Happy Birthday etc., for you. But it’s a bit tricky on a forum so…

Happy birthday, Joss. Have a brilliant day and many, many more of ’em. 🎂 😊

#180990 Reply
    ajn

#181004 Reply
    joss

Thanks guys. Lovely @ajn

Joss

#181008 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i did leave a congrats earlier but it seams to have disappeared..lol. anyway congrats. my 65th was lat month

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
Reply To: “Our Daily Digest”
Your information: