Nissan Transitions To CCS For US And Europe, Dealing CHAdeMO A Fatal Blow

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #119180 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

https://insideevs.com/news/433929/nissan-switches-to-ccs-in-us-europe/

In simple terms, Rapid chargers come with two DC plug types, CHAdeMO (All Nissans, Outlander PHEV), or CCS (Hyundai, Kia, Peugeot, DS, Vauxhall, Audi, VW, Porsche, etc.). This will mean that in time the CHAdeMO will disappear and all the Rapid DC chargers will be CCS. The idea is that having one instead of two DC connectors will make it simpler.

All the older & some of the latest models of the Zoe use AC chargers, some of the Rapid chargers have an AC outlet too, although some of the newest Rapid chargers appearing lack this.

Tesla superchargers now also have CCS for the Model 3, although you can’t plug anything other than a Tesla into these and get them to charge (you may get the CCS socket stuck in your non-Tesla car though so you can’t drive away).

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #119192 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Can’t understand why there wasn’t a single type as standard right from the outset, one was always going to end up in the bin, crazy waste of money.

#119194 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Absolutely @vinalspin.
    It may be that all manufacturers have used whatever battery/charging tech suits them instead of engineering to a single tech. I always get the feeling that the world is flailing slightly on this when there’s an opportunity (although admittedly diminishing in time) to have a conglomerate consisting of tech bodies from the main players to create the best, single solution.
    A lovely idea but as likely as me winning the euromillions. 🤞

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#119196 Reply

Ade

Old hat…A two prong plug or a good old 3 pin square plug……Nothing changes.

If you want to go your holiday, you will need an plug adapter…ha ha ha.

#119201 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

An adaptor. Brilliant. 😂🤣

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#119202 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Same as all the different methods of connecting/charging modern day tech, it’s taken a couple of decades to finally get around to all aiming for the new standard of usb-c, one lead for all your gear.

I had a tidy up of all my tech junk and bagged all the leads I have into multiple bags, usb-c/b/a/micro etc and I was a little shocked, I have 36 of the C type which will be useful going forward which is overkill but okay, adding all the other types I have 167!!!, what a waste of money when eventually all the tech that uses them dies and I no longer need them, insane.

#119210 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

It’s the old pit-fall, chestnut of early adopters beware like Beta-Max and VHS or DVD or Laser disk amongst many others over the years where I/we’ve backed the wrong horse and have to dump perfectly good hardware.

At least for most of us we’ve only got the car for 3 years and can then change and on the other hand I reckon it will be at least another two change overs before anything suitable and affordable on Motability comes my way and the piece of plastic on the end of the cable will be the same the World over by then, I hope.

#119226 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I aim to keep this one another 4 years 6 months and then buy something a year or two old that’s diesel, cheap to run and maintain with enough tech/space/power for my needs.

Going to build a scooter that will meet the new regs when they come in and give it the option of lithium/solid state battery power and use that for a lot of my local journeys and save on the mileage.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Nissan Transitions To CCS For US And Europe, Dealing CHAdeMO A Fatal Blow

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: