Labour launches a manifesto for disabled people

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Briggsy 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #99538 Reply

joss
    Participant

Breaking Down Barriers – Labour’s manifesto for disabled people

Foreword Marsha de CordovaThis manifesto proudly lays out Labour’s transformative plans for disabled people – to ensure that every person is empowered to participate fully and equally in society.

‘Breaking Down Barriers’ sets out to build a society according to the social model of disability, removing the barriers facing disabled people to accessing independent public services, education, employment, transport, justice and housing. We will honour our commitment to the United Nations Conventions on the Rights of Disabled People (UNCRPD), signed by the previous Labour government in 2009.

We will do this by incorporating the UN CRPD into UK law, working with disabled people every step of the way.In the past nine years, the Conservative and Lib Dems have created a hostile environment for disabled people. They have unleashed an austerity programme that systematically denies disabled people the vital support that they are entitled to, from Universal Credit to cuts to social care.

In 2016, a United Nations report labelled austerity as responsible for “grave” and “systematic” human rights violations against disabled people. This was repeated this year, when the UN rapporteur on Extreme Poverty likened the Department for Work and Pensions to a 19th century workhouse. But the Conservative government has shamefully buried their heads in the sand to this reality.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #104854 Reply

Tharg

Ah, so Labour wants to right the wrongs of the Tory and Lib Dem action which “systematically denies disabled people the vital support that they are entitled to”. Well, er, can we remember which party actually brought in the DLA-to-PIP horror in the first place? Thank you, Mr Blair…

#104855 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Dont think Labour will have much influence over anything for the next decade

#104858 Reply

joss
    Participant

Ah, so Labour wants to right the wrongs of the Tory and Lib Dem action which “systematically denies disabled people the vital support that they are entitled to”. Well, er, can we remember which party actually brought in the DLA-to-PIP horror in the first place? Thank you, Mr Blair…

Welfare Reform Act 2012
    The Welfare Reform Act 2012 is an Act of Parliament in the United Kingdom which makes changes to the rules concerning a number of benefits offered within the British social security system. It was enacted by the Parliament of the United Kingdom on 8 March 2012. Among the provisions of the Act are changes to housing benefit which came into force on 1 April 2013. These changes include an “under-occupancy penalty” which reduces the amount of benefit paid to claimants in social housing if they are deemed to have too much living space in the property they are renting.. Although the Act does not introduce any new direct taxes, this penalty has been characterised by the Labour Party and some in the media as the “Bedroom Tax”, attempting to link it with the public debate about the “Poll Tax” in the 1990s. Advocating the Act, the Chancellor of the Exchequer stated that the changes would reduce welfare dependency and support working families.

An Act to make provision for universal credit and personal independence payment, to make other provision about social security and tax credits, to make provision about the functions of the registration service, child support maintenance and the use of jobcentres, to establish the Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission and otherwise amend the Child Poverty Act 2010, and for connected purposes.
    Citation:5
    Introduced by:Iain Duncan Smith, Lord Freud
    Territorial extent:England, Scotland and Wales (see section 149 of the Act for Northern Ireland)
    Royal assent:8 March 2012
    Commencement:April 2013

who was in power and enabled the above act and subsequent amendments ???

Cameron in 2010

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
    In office
    11 May 2010 – 13 July 2016
    Monarch
    Elizabeth II
    Deputy
    Nick Clegg (2010–2015)
    First Secretary
    William Hague
    George Osborne
    Preceded by
    Gordon Brown
    Succeeded by
    Theresa May

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#104861 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Regrettably Delta4427 is correct. Whatever Labour says is so much hot air for the next 10 years.  Which is not to say that things for us can’t be improved, but no point relying on Labour to bring about any change.

#104863 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

This does not answer the question as to ‘why there was a perceived need to introduce these measures’ , only that they were introduced’, and further, ‘ Political opinion’ , is not necessarily fact!

So,

Q. Following the General Election of 2010, why did the incoming Government introduce Austerity?

A. Because the outgoing Government had made such a mess of the economy ( opinion ) that ‘There was no money left’ ( fact )

Q.. What was the published policy of the outgoing Government , had it won the election – Austerity ( fact ) of course it was , and it was this Labour Government which introduced the first austerity measures in late 2008 (fact )

Labour Chancellor Alastair Darling predicted that “two parliaments of pain” would be necessary to address the UK’s budget deficit. ( only his , informed, opinion, but a fact that he said it )

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said that Labour’s plans implied a cumulative decline of 11.9% in public spending over four years. ( in their opinion )

This would reduce public expenditure by a total of £46 billion in inflation-adjusted terms, taking it from over 27% of the economy to below 21%, back to its level in the late-1990s. ( opinion )

Importantly, the IFS also said that there appeared to be only a modest difference between the plans put forward by the two main political parties ( in their opinion )

It is fact however, that the Tory / LibDem Coalition Government introduced Austerity measures , to offset the inherited declining economy.

We all agree , I suspect , that we have different opinions on which political party to lay the blame for the consequences of austerity, but the facts do not always support political opinion!

#104865 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I think that now we are out of the EU everything will be much better.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#104867 Reply

Colin
    Participant

I think Labour is now in the unenviable position where the only hope they have of mattering anytime soon is to hope that something does go horribly wrong under the current government so they can then claim “We wouldn’t have done that”. I have next to zero political loyalty and no hesitation in stating that I personally voted for the Brexit party in the last election. I had possibly the worst, uninformed reason for doing so, but here it is, in a nutshell. I watched what the Labour candidate had to say, which basically came down to little more than pointing out what the Conservative candidate was wrong about, then I watched the Conservative candidate say pretty much the same thing about the Labour candidate. The Brexit candidate basically said what he believed in and what he thought should be done, without pointing any fingers.

I had no interest in backing anyone who seemed to think that saying “I’m not as bad as the other guy” was a good enough reason to get my vote.  It almost felt like they were saying “It’s better to be punched in the arm than punched in the face.” How about an option where I don’t get punched?

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#104869 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Lets be honest the labour party have nothing left but to continue to jump on the popular band wagon and have a new policy this week and change it again next month

A manifesto for all religions is whats needed

Brydo I would like to think things will get better but there is no escaping the fact that we are still being governed by the very same Elitist bunch who will quite frankly continue too push through with the same age old disabled killing policies.

#104871 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Delta you are relatively new to the forum but those who know me will know I am joking. I have no time for BJ and his class mates, sorry cabinet, or any of the other Tory toffs.

#104882 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Brydo      Glad to see we are on the same wave length

#104886 Reply

Tharg

Joss – sorry if I am wrong about Blair starting the DLA-PIP thing. Was sure I received the first paperwork about it in the 90s. Will check

#104889 Reply

joss
    Participant

No need to apologies Tharg. It’s all good banter here. Never take anything personal 🙂

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#104890 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Delta 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

#104922 Reply

Tharg

Joss – thanks for understanding. Still need to say sorry, though. Got me facts wrong. Unforgiveable, should have checked. Thing is, when the plans to inflict DLA reassessment on us – even on “indefinite” award – I was fighting a year-long bitter battle with DHS over similar reassessment for ESA. Latter must have started prior to Labour losing power because of dates involved. My mind, addled by the stunning ignorance and bullying of DHS, assumed the very similar DLA-to-PIP crip-kicking came from the same bunch of thugs.

For what it’s worth, I still very clearly remember getting the first notice about DLA to PIP which told me that the government were not going to “change the benefits you receive or the basis on which they are awarded. You will simply have to claim them in a different manner…”

Can’t think why but the words “lying”, “two-faced” and “thieving b****rds” keep springing to mind.

#104925 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Tharg joss is very thorough, as I can see you are, and it’s great to have two very knowledgeable guys on the forum.

A lot of people question why I post articles on the main forum. The reason is to keep guys like you, joss and many others interested in the forum. Talking about the same things all the time will soon bore most people so we need to keep mixing it up.

My wife has been on the scheme for many years but most of the info I have has come from the very informed guys on this forum.

long may it continue 👍

#104935 Reply

Tharg

Brydo – well you’re certainly keeping me involved with stuff. Started scanning the forum when choosing latest Motability car some three months back. I have been on scheme for ten years, possibly more (?) and, despite the recent pruning of interesting-to-drive vehicles, I remain very happy with the scheme. Having disability issues makes everything take so much longer and more complicated so knowing that the (incredibly complicated) process of having a car is completely taken care of is brilliant.

Anyway, having discovered this nice place here, I ain’t going to leave, even though car is now ordered. Really like off-topic stuff (Picard, etc) and main forum gives a chance to share experiences with others in hope that it’ll help them with their motoring issues.

Keep ’em coming, Brydo…

#104936 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Will do Tharg and great to hear you will be staying with us 👍

#104961 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

Tharg

Must say you come across as a very likeable chap as does Brydo and a few others on here

Anyone who immediately puts their hands up and apologises when wrong are instantly added to my Christmas card list 🙂  Commendable and a rare thing now days.

#105040 Reply

Tharg

Delta – thanks for your comment. Apologising if I get things wrong seems only polite to me.

But, back in the main topic, you said we are “still being governed by the very same Elitist bunch”. Sad but true. Even more sad is that it applies just as much to the Labour people as others (and I say this as a lifelong Labour voter and, dare I say this with BJ in power, a trades union member – NUJ). They may not have the same Old School Tie as the others, but it is there nevertheless.

Seems to me that the primary motivation for all politicians is to be in control of everyone else; they enjoy bullying people just for its own sake. That’s why I stopped voting altogether – I do not want to lend my support to a bullying thug, of any political colour. Learned how to deal with bullies in school: hit back harder than they try to hit you. Unfortunately, trying this today with our MPs has limitations involving armed police and early demise…

#105075 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

As a youngster I grew up going to school with a certain Labour MP’s son (not going to mention by name) but once we got into our middle teens my friend moved out and hasn’t spoken to his dad to this day as far as I’m aware as he can’t stand the facts being twisted and seeing his own father standing up on TV and (straight faced lying) as he put it.

I still see him on occasion and know better than to try and discuss it as he still chucks a 7 if anybody does.

#105547 Reply

martino

This is just my views ,  i’m not trying to upset anyone i don’t think it matter who is in power , they all promise they’ll do this they’ll do that we’ll help everyday ordinary people , but they don’t i think they mostly do it for the large pay checks and bonuses they are mostly all millionaires or extremely wealthy , bet if they were to get paid minimum wage most of them wouldn’t do they job ..

they bring out all these figures pip rate. tax credit rates, minimum wage  ect . and the government say this is what you need to live on .. they have no idea what its like to struggle, people getting benefits cut having to wait months to get it sorted , people needing to decide to pay for heating or food , people using food banks to survive and dwp think that.s ok in fact they advice people to use then its 2020 not the dark ages, the government don’t live in the real world ,  would they do the job if they got minimum wage, I wounder.

The government are always doing benefit cuts , they same as millions of others I got DLA for life i got it before it was called DLA then it changed to PIP and no doubt it’ll change again it’ll called something else and well all need to perform like disabled monkeys begging for our money yet again,

I get worked up over stuff like this and I could go on and on,  but i best stop and keep it short.

Again this is just my opinion

#105569 Reply

Delta4427
    Participant

@Martino

All awards by law have to have reviews so that change both good/bad can be taken into account and to be fair that was not always happening before with DLA.

Best award now is ongoing but that can still be reviewed at anytime

Problem being over the last 10yrs the unaccountable DWP continues to move the ESA/PIP award qualifying goal posts so as to be seen to be meeting the new targets that are set by No 10 ( fact is many of those denied benefits are reinstated at appeal court stage)

Their target being simply to deny as many disabled people of as much needed support as they can even if that means spending more ££ss than before to do so.

They have tied their selves in knots, for example ESA reviews from 2016 are only now starting to be looked at ( same Dept people as PIP different hat)

I have lost count of how many I have helped over the last 10 yrs and steered through this minefield of a system

I too get worked up over stuff like this and I could also go on and on,  but I best stop and keep it short.

Again this is also just my opinion

#105590 Reply

martino

Delta4427 :- lol fair point

#108450 Reply

Briggsy
    Participant

Joss – sorry if I am wrong about Blair starting the DLA-PIP thing. Was sure I received the first paperwork about it in the 90s. Will check

Wasn’t it Brown who though ESA would be a good idea though?

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Labour launches a manifesto for disabled people

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: