JCB reveals high-speed pothole repairing machine

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Richard.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #135596 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Pothole Pro fills holes in less than eight minutes – four times faster than traditional methods – and has been trialled in UK

JCB has unveiled a new pothole-repairing machine that it claims is able to repair holes in less than eight minutes.

Called the Pothole Pro, the all-in-one machine repairs holes four times faster than traditional methods yet is also significantly cheaper, according to the British firm.

The Pothole Pro is equipped with a cutter, sweeper/bucket and a hydraulic cropping tool, allowing it to cut defects, crop pothole edges and clean holes.

By streamlining these tasks, which would traditionally be done manually by pothole-filling teams, JCB says the Pothole Pro reduces daily costs by up to half.

With a 25mph top travelling speed, the Pothole Pro can also save transport costs by relocating quickly between sites.

It’s further equipped with a 600mm-wide planar and integrated dust-suppression system, enabling the driver to plane a full carriageway from the curb without repositioning.

The Pothole Pro was trialled during 2020 in Stoke-on-Trent, where it repaired holes at a rate equivalent to 700 per month.

In initial testing, the machine filled 51 holes in 20 days – a task that JCB says would have taken a team of up to six fillers 63 days to achieve normally.

JCB chairman Lord Bamford, who led the development of the machine, said: “Potholes really are the scourge of our nation. Our country is quite rightly fixated on this dreadful problem and, as a British manufacturer, I’m fixated on finding a solution.

“JCB’s solution is simple and cost-effective and fixes potholes permanently, first time. Once the machine has done its job, all the contractor then needs to do is just add tar.”

The arrival of the Pothole Pro comes after Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled a £2.5 billion pothole repair budget last year – enough to fill 50 million potholes by 2025 and equivalent to an investment of £50 million every year.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #135601 Reply
    martinod

That looks good – pity my local council don’t have one because they never seem to fill them.

#135681 Reply
    joss

In Doncaster. Pot whole teams consist of 2 men and a flat bed truck full of TarMac. Once a pot hole is located, the crew spring in to action.

A shovel of TarMac is aimed at the offending pot hole. No prep is done. The multi tool AKA  shovel is then rotated 180 degrees and a pat on the TarMac completes the job.

This is a true event. No animals where hurt.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135686 Reply
    Clipped wings

Same here in Dorset, Joss. Said pot hole was full of salty water from gritting. Back they came 6 months later and at least then did a proper job. The cost!
    JCB machine looks fantastic. Will still take 3 hours to put out the cones and temporary traffic lights.

#135688 Reply
    JS

@Joss

now you are part of the Mod team (a big warm welcome) we will have to discuss the removal of that sense of humour,

#135692 Reply
    joss

Oh wow! Thank you JS I hope I can meet exceptions. My wry sense of humour is beyond my control. It’s controlled by my medication of powerful drugs prescribed by my GP and Hospital.

Seriously Thanks.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#135694 Reply
    joss

Having a second look at the JCB machine. I not that it only shapes the pot hole and then brushes it out. It then requires another crew to actually make the repair.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#148108 Reply
    Nicholas

That’s correct Joss. The machine just preps the surface, the real work is the asphalt. That’s where the problems arise, hot material into a cold hole that then needs to be sealed against water ingress or it will just open up again. Futtec.cz has made a machine which guarantees a perfect repair, winter or summer with just 2 operators. We are trying to get it into the U.K.

#148140 Reply
    Richard

They’ll never buy one of those when a man with a bucket of tarmac & a bit of wood to tamp it down can do a “great” job in half a day lol

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: JCB reveals high-speed pothole repairing machine
Your information: