Is it possible to get the previous Tiguan MK2

• Creator
    Topic
  • #136555 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

I’ve seen a few places that still have the mk2 Tiguan r like which is miles better in my opinion than the mk3 r line as it comes with a sun roof and reverse camera included

would it still be possible to get it?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136584 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I don’t know the answer but it’s worth asking. I guess it will depend on whether Motability still have active order numbers for the old shape. They may be concerned about residual values versus the facelift version. I doubt that there are many old shape cars left so you’d have to act quickly. I agree that the new R-Line seems a big step back from the old one with an awful lot of desirable kit removed and not just the two things you mention. To get a new R-Line up to the spec of the Elegance you need to add iQ lights (£415) / Electric Tailgate (£320)  / Panoramic Sunroof (£945) and  Rear View Camera (£370) – total £2,050. To be fair, whereas the old R-Liine was a few grand more than the SEL, with the price premium just paying for styling tweaks and 1” bigger alloys, the new one is virtually the same price as the Elegance, so you choose between looks or luxury (although I don’t like the new alloys or interior of the new R-Line as much as I did the old one). Of course, that doesn’t work well with the Motability option where you have to pay the full cost of extras, unlike other lease companies where they just adjust the monthly least cost and you don’t pay the full cost of extras.

I know that it’s futile on this site trying to explain to many people that it can work out cheaper to opt out of Motability and do your own thing, but if your heart is set on the old R-Line it might be worth considering. I bought a new R-Line privately around 6 years ago and got 18% off. I suspect that with an obsolete model you’d get at least 25% off. Also, the other day I worked out the whole life costs (depreciation, insurance, tax, maintenance etc) of a BMW 5 Series that I bought new and ran privately for 4 years versus the Motability Tiguan that we currently have and the private 5 Series was cheaper to run.

#136603 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Correction to my last post. Just looked back at my records and I actually got 21% off the R-Line not 18%. It was a new car that they had in stock, so same scenario you are looking at, except it wasn’t an obsolete model, so 25% would be the absolute minimum discount I should think. The 18% was the discount I got off my daughters Hyundai i20 and my daughter was with me at the time so I didn’t fare as well, as the salesman could see how keen she was, even though I had briefed her to appear not bothered 😂 . Surprisingly, the best new car discount I achieved was from BMW with my previous 5 Series. 25% discount and it was a factory order and not a run out model. These discounts were a combination of manufacturer + dealer + finance discounts and I paid off the finance part after a month to avoid any interest but still retain the discount (perfectly legitimate), although I appreciate that most people probably can’t do that, but there are lots of very low interest rate PCP’s at present. Obviously Motability is the easiest / least hassle route if you can get the car you want but, as I say, it’s an option should that not be possible in this scenario.

#138560 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

I don’t know the answer but it’s worth asking. I guess it will depend on whether Motability still have active order numbers for the old shape. They may be concerned about residual values versus the facelift version. I doubt that there are many old shape cars left so you’d have to act quickly. I agree that the new R-Line seems a big step back from the old one with an awful lot of desirable kit removed and not just the two things you mention. To get a new R-Line up to the spec of the Elegance you need to add iQ lights (£415) / Electric Tailgate (£320) / Panoramic Sunroof (£945) and Rear View Camera (£370) – total £2,050. To be fair, whereas the old R-Liine was a few grand more than the SEL, with the price premium just paying for styling tweaks and 1” bigger alloys, the new one is virtually the same price as the Elegance, so you choose between looks or luxury (although I don’t like the new alloys or interior of the new R-Line as much as I did the old one). Of course, that doesn’t work well with the Motability option where you have to pay the full cost of extras, unlike other lease companies where they just adjust the monthly least cost and you don’t pay the full cost of extras. I know that it’s futile on this site trying to explain to many people that it can work out cheaper to opt out of Motability and do your own thing, but if your heart is set on the old R-Line it might be worth considering. I bought a new R-Line privately around 6 years ago and got 18% off. I suspect that with an obsolete model you’d get at least 25% off. Also, the other day I worked out the whole life costs (depreciation, insurance, tax, maintenance etc) of a BMW 5 Series that I bought new and ran privately for 4 years versus the Motability Tiguan that we currently have and the private 5 Series was cheaper to run.

I know the R-Line v’s Elegance debate is style v’s substance and most contributors to the debate seem to choose Elegance. I have the Tiguan as my back up car should the Kuga choice not be to my liking but obviously can’t get to view or test drive at the moment. I was wondering therefore just how much these extra options that the Elegance has over the R-Line really would affect the Tiguan experience in reality, bearing in mind I would be driving a Tiguan for the 1st time so have no preconceptions.

IQ lights – I do very little night time driving since retiring so would all these fancy lights really be of any use to me. I assume the LED “plus” lights on the R-line are plenty capable.

Electric tailgate – is this just the handsfree gimmick that is extra on the Elegance? Is the R-Line completely manual or electric from fob?

Panoramic sunroof – essential/take or leave? – had a few cars with sunroofs that were hardly ever opened.

Rear view camera – essential/take or leave? – never had before so no idea how useful. Surely rear parking sensors will do a job.

Would be interested to hear any views on this as I think I would really prefer the R-Line myself for the street presence (although I do like my toys too). Have watched loads of R-Line videos but they all seem to have these options fitted so wanted a clearer picture of a standard R-Line.

Thanks.

#138610 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Comfortablynumb – answers to questions as follows;

IQ Lights – The R Line comes with LED lights, which are pretty powerful but essentially ‘fixed’, other than bending lights when cornering. Intelligent fully adaptive lights (such as iQ) are very clever. You essentially drive on full beam the whole time and when cars approach, or are ahead of you, a camera tells the headlights to ‘cut out’ that vehicle from the beam, leaving the rest of the beam on full. As the oncoming vehicle passes, the ‘blacked out’ bit fills back in, as if by magic. They usually work over around 30 mph and don’t work in areas with street lights. If you’ve never had them you won’t miss them and if you don’t do much nighttime driving I’d say they aren’t a show stopper – but I’d miss them as I’ve had them on the last 2 cars (although the VW ones are a bit slow to react compared to the BMW version).

Electric Tailgate – If the Tiguan price and spec guide is correct, the new R Line has a manual tailgate, which surprises me. It has remote unlocking, but not remote opening. I find that strange, so someone who has a new one might correct this. On the Elegance it is fully electric, opening and closing, with the additional ability to open hands free by waving your foot underneath the rear of the car.

Panoramic Sunroof – I would never pay for one as an option as they are silly prices, and I very rarely open ours, but the main advantage is all the light that floods into the car, which is very nice. The Tiguan roof is pretty good in that if you open it a screen goes up to stop the buffeting that you get with many other sunroofs. An important note though. The R Line has black headlining. I really dislike those as they make the cabins very oppressive. If you have a sunroof (as the old R Line Tech did) then it’s not an issue, but without I would find it a problem. Ironically, it wouldn’t be so bad not having one in the Elegance as it has a light grey headlining, but it’s standard! They do creak very slightly on very cold mornings until the car warms up.

Rear View Camera – The Tiguan one is very poor. The clarity is OK but not great and the lens is just undue the tailgate handle and as SUV rears get filthy, it is almost always covered in dirt. I’d rather have it than not, but again it’s not a show stopper with front and rear sensors.

Some other differences to be aware of;

The R Line is full body colour. The Elegance has ugly grey skirts along the bottom of both sides. If you have a grey one (as we do) they are invisible as the car looks fully painted. Any other colour and they show.

The R Line has touch sensitive steering wheel controls, rather than the conventional buttons that the Elegance has. These touch sensitive controls have had very poor reviews as you can inadvertently trigger a function.

The seat fabric in the new R Line won’t be to everyone’s taste. Think 1980’s Golf GTI. With the Elegance you can have black or Storm Grey, which we have at present (albeit in leather) and that looks fantastic as it’s two tone. Pale centre panels in the seats with black side bolsters and head restraints. Looks really classy (unlike the R Line 😂).

If renewing now and the old model was still out, I would have gone for the R Line Tech, as long as I could have got a decent engine. Now, I would go for the Elegance. The new R Line wheels aren’t as nice as the old one IMO and it no longer looks like the flagship model – a position that it now shares jointly with the Elegance.

A final note, regardless of model. The colour choice is pants. VW only offer the dullest of dull colours on the Tiguan. I was excited about Nightshade Blue until I saw one. It is absolutely nothing whatsoever like the colour depicted in the brochures. It is a dark petrol blue. Check out photos on Autotrader for a more accurate depiction. Great shame as if it looked anything like it does in the brochure it would be fab!

#138624 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Thanks @GlosGuy for taking the time to compose that reply. Lots to think about. Apart from the electric hands free tailgate (if the R-Line is only manual) then the missing options wouldn’t bother me nor the dark interior (quite like the sombre black interior look in a car). I do agree that the R-Line seats look a bit naff

However , with a sensible head on, I would probably lean towards the Elegance in Dolphin Grey Metallic (camouflage the plastic trim) and £500 cheaper AP and £2k extra kit (whether needed or not).

Thanks again.

#138632 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

No problem. That’s the decision we came to, even though we were thinking R Line. I think VW have messed up with the new trim designations. The R Line was by far the most desirable model before, but now that mantle has clearly passed to the Elegance. The R Line now makes no sense.

#138775 Reply
    cb2011
    Participant

the rear washer cleans the camera on the rline tech

#138779 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

the rear washer cleans the camera on the rline tech

Thats interesting. Have they moved the position of the camera then? It’s by the number plate on mine and is constantly getting muck on the lens.

#138788 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Glos guy on my Tarraco (Tiguan all space ) just a jet by camera lens which washes camera when in reverse and rear wash selected. Very similar on my current car as well.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#138790 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Well you live and learn. Just checked and our Tiguan has that as well. Had it almost 3 years and never realised. Thinking about it, I never wash the rear screen when reversing, so have never triggered it. I tend to wash the rear screen when I’m driving. Many thanks for letting me know 😂

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Is it possible to get the previous Tiguan MK2
Your information: