I’m a nerd but it’s helping me decide

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I’ve been bouncing around between various cars based on spec, comfort and AP for months.  I have, however, struggled to make a data based decision, mainly because I’ve not analysed pure data yet.  Well, I’ve now put together a spreadsheet that does just that.

The criteria has been quite simple, spec, range, storage, comfort, accessibility Design (whether I like how it looks) and charging speed.   Seems quite simple.  For spec, I’ve listed what I feel is essential and ordered it so that if an essential item at the top of the list is missing, the score reduces by more than if an item at the bottom isn’t there.

My Spec essentials are:

Heated Front Seats – Both adults have spine issues now, heating the back really does help.

Ventilated front seats – In the summer there’s nothing worse that the burning of sitting on dark seats that have been in the sun for hours.

Heated steering wheel – My hands can suffer in the cold, I find my grip weakens, this will help

Electric Tailgate – With 2x bad backs not having to reach and pull down what can be a heavy tailgate is a massive boost

Electric driver’s seat – if it automatically gives me more space to get in/out or simply makes adjusting the seat easier, I’ll take it

Electric Passenger’s seat – again, if it helps the Mrs then happy wife and all that.

HUD – I’m a fan of keeping eyes on the road, this just helps out massively

Apple CarPlay – I do tend to become annoyed at commercial radio stations, even more so at what Radio 2 has become so I listen to my own playlists now.  This has 3 options, Wired, Wireless and none.

That’s not too much to ask, is it?

Scores are worked out to be out of 10, with Heated front seats worth 1.243 and HUD at 1.027.  Wireless CarPlay is 1, wired 0.5 none =0.  totals range from 10 down to 3.41.

I then score Comfort, Accessibility (front and rear separately) all out of 10 and average them to get a practicality score.

I then have range and charging time, which I’ll rank and score just as soon as I can work out how.

I have storage, combined boot space and any front storage (Frunk) this is simple measurement in litres from the manufacturer’s figures.

Finally there’s the experience scores out of 10, one for me, one for the Mrs.

Once I’ve completed the calculations, test driven the top 3 and added preference numbers I will have a total score.  That score then gets divided into the AP, so if I have 2 scoring the same, one being £2,500 the other £7,000 then the score per £ number will be very different.

This should give me a clear winner.

My list of cars (all electric) are@

Ariya in 2 forms, Advance 87kWh and Evolve 63kWh

Mach E (now off scheme)

EV6 GT line and GT Line AWD

Q4 Sport

Ioniq 6 Ultimate

Ioniq 5 Ultimate (Tech)

Enyaq 85 Edition and 85x Sportline Plus

Currently the Ioniqs and Enyaqs are the top 4.

Interestingly, whilst this will change when I finish my formulae properly, the price per point varies from the Enyaq at £220.49 all the way up to the EV6 AWD at a rather concerning £1,086.58 per point.

Once I’ve finished working out the maths and formulae I need, I’d like to upload a version, so that others can borrow it and do their own comparisons, however, some help would be gratefully received on just how I’d do that, maybe a mod could help? @joss @WMCforum

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
    • Author
      Replies

@POPS @MFillingham ya olf farts ? I always look at torque figurers and 0-60 times, for getting out of junctions, dangers or even overtaking…. Even though I may not make use of them on a daily basis, doesn’t mean I won’t. I.E getting past farm traffic on a country lane safely etc.

I agree with you about torque being a safety assistant. If I lease a full electric vehicle then that instant acceleration will be there for the occasions you mention.

You guys are right about me getting old. I’ve just taken what could have been a very nasty tumble down the steps in my front garden. I made the mistake of waving to the dogs who were watching me out of the kitchen window, instead of concentrating on the next step. I slipped and thought that I’d saved myself, only to take a sideways dive through an old and previously immaculate box hedge. I must have gone through length ways as I’ve taken down about six feet of hedging. I rolled down through about 8 to 10 feet of banked shrubs and ended up hitting the trunk of a tree which stopped my gyrations. I lay there for a few minutes seeing stars then dragged myself out onto the lawn on my hands and knees.

When I managed to get to my feet and checked myself out, the only damage appears to be some small cuts and grazes to my face. and a sore hip. My glasses are still somewhere in the garden (good job I’ve got a spare pair).

I was very lucky to get away with that fall, so you guys are right, I must start making allowances for the added problems that being born three quarters of a century ago brings.

No one else is home at the moment, but I’m hoping it gets fully  dark before my daughter in law gets home. If she doesn’t notice the hedge I’ll get out there first thing in the morning and try to put it back in reasonable shape as she loves the garden, lol.

kezo
        Participant

I’ve just taken what could have been a very nasty tumble down the steps in my front garden.

Sorry to hear that POPS 🙂

It’s alright kezo you can laugh your socks off. The family just got home, put the step lights on and everything was revealed! They are now doubled over laughing at the evidence of my wobbliness! I’m sure the dogs are grinning at me as well, because they witnessed the whole thing. No sympathy at all for poor old me (once they’d checked I was okay). They have just managed to pull, push and stake the stricken hedge back into position. It looks a bit “second hand” but should recover. My glasses however will have to wait until daylight.

MFillingham
            Participant

That sounds like our family, once it’s established nothing serious has happened, we’re brutal.  I was called ‘Slammer’ for 6 months when younger because I’d slammed my foot in a door.

I’m glad nothings injured beyond pride.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
              I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

kezo
              Participant

It’s alright kezo you can laugh your socks off. The family just got home, put the step lights on and everything was revealed! They are now doubled over laughing at the evidence of my wobbliness! I’m sure the dogs are grinning at me as well, because they witnessed the whole thing. No sympathy at all for poor old me (once they’d checked I was okay). They have just managed to pull, push and stake the stricken hedge back into position. It looks a bit “second hand” but should recover. My glasses however will have to wait until daylight.

Laugh we may but, do remember our bones start to get brittle at your age!

Luckily I’m, just short of a quarter of a century behind you ?

On a serious note, do take care and watch where your going. I wouldn’t like to hear your injured 🙂

tvs
                Participant

The trouble with getting older is I find your brain still thinks it is younger, but your body says different! Being senior brings on more problems on top of  disabilities.

2024 - KIA EV6 GT Line AWD
                  2019 - 2024 BMW X1 2.0d X Drive Sport Auto
                  2017 -2019 Audi Q3 2.0d Quattro Sport Line Plus
                  2005 - 2017 Honda CRV Exec 2.0d

Viewing 6 replies - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.