I had a good look around a BMW i3s today, very impressive!

This topic contains 31 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86207 Reply

Teddy

I currently have a bmw 2 series convertible but am finding it painful to drive because of the low set seat and tight footwell, especially on longer journeys. Causes pain in my legs, ankles and back.

After a conversation with Motabilty they kindly agreed to an early termination if the current car isn’t suitable which will be my first early ‘hand back’ since I started in 1982!

Anyway I went today to BMW to look at MPVs and got very sidetracked by, and interested in their i3s which was charging outside.

Amazing cabin space for a very compact car, with a much better access/exit and higher seating position / more legroom so clearly better suited for my requirements. I think the pillarless design helps entry and exit as well.

Anyway after a passenger ride I’m hooked!

Very impressed that you can heat the cabin (cold weather) or cool it (hot weather) remotely via the smartphone app and even set it to heat or cool at a certain time of your choosing, such as 10 minutes before a journey for example.

I have a 24 hr test drive booked for next weekend to give their demo (non ‘S’) a good workout, so will be able to report back some more next week.

Not sure whether the ‘S’ is worth an extra £1000 though, and would be interested in others thoughts on that , as well as anyone else who has one, has tested one, or is considering one.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #86208 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Teddy i had a look at it myself, too small for us but really liked the styling i thought it looked really smart.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#86209 Reply

Footloose

Hi Teddy,like Brydo I also believe it is a very smart vehicle and though I don’t change till the second quarter of next year I would definitely consider the ‘s’ version if still available and funnily though I’m impressed by its looks my 19 year old daughter disagrees but to be fair she is waiting for Lamborghini to become available on the scheme!!

#86210 Reply

mitch
    Participant

its on my shortlist as i too may have to change early due to a back issue. i get wpms so the ap is slightly different but the basic i3 ap £897. i think is the way to go, i am not keen on the next two trims and would consider the leather suite ap £1647. if i were getting the gcb. i dont see the benefit of the s, abit faster 0-60 and slightly modified ride etc the differences i can live without i would rather go for the i3 with leather rather than the extra fancy set up and an additional £1000.

#86211 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I have said this previously but i think the i3 could be the best value for money BEV we get on the scheme in the next few years, maybe longer.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#86224 Reply

Ian

I went for the S.

Reviews say that its a much better drive than the std I3. Less skippy and more solid in corners.

I wondered about getting the I3 and then upping the trim but for me the basic trim is quite nice already, I did improve the audio though. Charger being fitted tomorrow.

One thing I have picked up recently is that the higher spec trims have interior mood lighting which I think I could have liked……

#86229 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

While it will be easier to get in/out of(pillar-less aspect would require you to open and close both doors every time) you won’t get the pain you used to get on long journeys as you won’t be doing any, not slagging off your choice or the car it’s just choosing a vehicle that can’t do longer trips kinda defeats changing so you’re more comfortable on,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,, longer trips?!?

All that being said I do really hope your happy with the i3 and in less pain with it, it was just an observation. ?

#86237 Reply

Teddy

Vinylspin – I do take your point but the longest distances I would do in a single day would be london or manchester which are both within the capabilities of the latest i3 at around 130 miles from home. Also, if doing that kind of distance I would likely book an overnight stay so that would give the opportunity for a charge before any onward travel.

It obviously depends where in the country you live and how far you would drive without being able to charge, but for me I think it would work, and any longer trips eg scotland or the continent or wherever could be broken up into manageable chunks.  One bonus for me is that there are a lot of Council installed free ‘type 2’ chargers in my town, including one at work.

Ian – when do you get the car, I’d be very interested in some feedback once you have had a few trips.

My other alternative is a Plugin Hybrid such as the Mini Countryman or 2 Series Active Tourer but they are only good for shorter journeys, so not as attractive in terms of savings.

#86243 Reply

Tomas (Tomas)

I’ve driven the i3 and thought it was really good.

However I hate the styling.

#86245 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

If you have good access to charging then it’s a good place to start, if cost saving is forefront in your mind then it’s the only suitable car on here as the others have too high an ap to make the savings work, the hybrid option would save you some money but only if you make the effort to charge regularly, unfortunately most come with a horrible cvt box, it’s like a list of compromises and picking the least damming one really.

If you need a boot then I would take a look again at the i3 as it only comes with a rear glovebox. ?

#86248 Reply

Ian

Teddy of course!

On the test drives I was smiling all the way through soooo impressed with the performance (fastest BMW 0 to 30 mph) and the interior space. I’m a big chap so no B pillars and drive train makes the cabin very spacious indeed (I would suggest more room for me than in current XC60).

Charging will be done at home apart from when we go on adventures. Not too many chargers near me in the Lake District.

I’ve been lucky to have owned or driven many types of cars but I’m genuinely really excited about this one because it’s a bit different. I hope I haven’t got it wrong….

#86267 Reply

martino

i have an xc60 . and love it disappointed its not on just now cause iv to change in october im hoping itll be back on , but i3  more roomy than xc60 thats interesting

#86272 Reply

Ian

Only driving position martino, the rest of the car is much smaller than the XC60 (backseats and boot) if you carry lots of people or kit then you will need to look elsewhere…..I’m wondering how my dog is going to like being in the tiny boot……I do think I will have the backseats down a lot (or use another car as required)

#86273 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Is the boot big enough for 3 Tesco shopping bags ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#86277 Reply

mitch
    Participant

magnum mike, yes lol. its bigger than the boot in my 3dr mini. most people would be ok with it.

but if you need a wheelchair or scooter it may be a problem. that could be the issue for a lot of people unless you have no passengers for the rear and can put up with having the back seats down all the time.

the inside design is a bit marmite but i like the base atelier and the top leather suite offerings not too keen on the other 2. the suite is not available for the i3s on motability. but personally i dont see that the extra you get on the s is must have. i would go for the i3 atelier or if i was flush the i3 suite.

#86278 Reply

Ian

Boot is small but I agree would pass the Tesco challenge!

Quite a lot of difference between the S and the standard i3. You feel it when you drive it.

The trim level is the same but the s has uprated motor, bigger wheels, lowered suspension, different bumpers, wider axles with additional sports mode.

Charger just being fit for mine now. Got some good advice around positioning on the i3 Facebook page which has really helped choose a location on my house that will allow charging without interfering with access to house or to back garden etc. So glad I asked….

#86281 Reply

Ian

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Boot is small but I agree would pass the Tesco challenge!</p>
    Quite a lot of difference between the S and the standard i3. You feel it when you drive it.

The trim level is the same but the s has uprated motor, bigger wheels, lowered suspension, different bumpers, wider axles with additional sports mode.

Charger just being fit for mine now. Got some good advice around positioning on the i3 Facebook page which has really helped choose a location on my house that will allow charging without interfering with access to house or to back garden etc. So glad I asked….

#86872 Reply

Ian

Did you try the I3?

#86878 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i had a quick 20 minutes in one at my local dealer and i was quite impressed especially with the acceleration off the mark, you could easily get in trouble if your not careful. v quick compaered to a petrol. the rest seemed fine for me, once the medics have decided what they are going to do and the change is confirmed i am going to book the extended test drive with the bmw and the countryman as its the same dealer and they do 24/48hr test drives so once i know for sure whats happening i will get them booked and make a final decision.

unless the jimny comes on before then lol.

#86880 Reply

Ian

Thanks fella I sometimes look for reassurance that I have done the right thing myself…..you are right off the line they are very quick!

#86884 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i do like it and for an electric its ideal a decent range so for me i would probably only be charging it once a week as the furthest i do is a 60 mile round trip once a fortnight the rest is within a 30 mile radius. i like the styling as well my only thing is the huge empty space in front of the centre consul, there the cup holders etc between the front seats and then a huge area of nothing right through under the dash. not used to that a lot of new cars almost cacoon you with all that area filled in with various cubbbys etc. but that was the only thing that took a bit of getting used too. but the cab overall is great very light and airy

in my case its possibly too big lol theres just me and no wheelchair or scooter at least not yet. so my dilema is that i need a high seting position to get in and out but not a lot else hence the love for the jimny. a small american style single cab 2 seats with rear load area would suit.

#86890 Reply

Teddy

Well I’m still yet to drive it, turned up on the allotted day to find that the previous test driver who was due back at 9am hadn’t turned up, and in fact didn’t return all day.

In the end I arranged that they’ll drop it off with me on Friday afternoon and I’ll return it on Sunday afternoon so if it goes to plan should be an excellent chance to try it out over the weekend.

I will report back.

#87016 Reply

Teddy

Well first impressions after a 40 mile drive this evening are that it’s an absolute hoot to drive. Turns out I have the i3s too which looks very smart on black 20” alloys.

Very easy for me to get in and out of, and super easy to drive once you get used to the lack of noise.  Access to the back seats is good with the trick rear doors.

My wheelchair fits easily in the back with the rear seats folded and there’s still enough space behind the front seats for shopping or a couple of small suitcases.

#87117 Reply

Ian

Glad you liked it like me I think the I3 is a little different and yes it’s not for everyone but I’m so looking FWD to October when ours arrives..

#87168 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Young Teddy it’s better looking than the Rav 4

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#87501 Reply

Teddy

Well to update this thread, I decided to go for an I3 /I3S depending on what was available.

Not wanting to wait 3 months for a factory order from my local dealership I phoned the next few places to try and find something ready built.

Sytner in Cardiff managed to find me a ready built S model without any options which is what I was after, albeit my request for a discount on the AP was politely declined.

Unsure exactly where he’s sourcing it from but it’ll be at the dealer in 10 days or so.

It’s in white with black bonnet and roof.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: I had a good look around a BMW i3s today, very impressive!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: