How do you leave the scheme mid contract?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

Ive been considering leaving the scheme for a while now and i am presently having a look at whats out there and alternatives but i was wondering what the ramifications of doing so would be.

My wife doesn’t want to leave she is happy with the “security” that comes with the scheme but i really want an SUV type BEV, SUV for the wife to get in and out of easily, a large enough size boot for her wheelchair and a BEV for me as i think its way past time to go full electric.

A few members have left the scheme in recent months but I’m not sure if they left at the end of their agreement.

Obviously if we are contracted to stay for the full three years we will but i would like to know where we stand.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      sean1969
      Participant

Hi Brydo, about 8 years ago I was in exactly the same position. I had a Volvo V40 which was getting tougher and tougher getting in/out of. I contacted Motability to explain this and I had to get a wheelchair in and out of the car too. They were very accomodating and changed it for a Nissan Qashqai mid ontract.

I don’t know if they have changed their rules but just contact them and explain, I am sure they will agree as your circumstances hae changed I assume.

Current car 2019 Ford Kuga 1.5T Titanium X Edition (White)

On order new Vauxhall Grandland Ultimate 1.2 Turbo (Ruby Red)

sean1969
        Participant

I also meant to say I still received my good condition bonus but I still had to pay the AP on the Nissan, hope that helps.

Current car 2019 Ford Kuga 1.5T Titanium X Edition (White)

On order new Vauxhall Grandland Ultimate 1.2 Turbo (Ruby Red)

vinalspin
          Participant

@Brydo, I left the scheme on the 31st of last month, I just called and explained the unsuitability of the current vehicle and the fact nothing suitable was available to replace it with nice lady at Motability agreed to end my contract early, I even got a reduction of the £250 fee.

I was 19 months into the 3 year contract.

I do think you would need to have a valid reason to end the contract although I have never heard of anyone being chased for the remaining payments for the full 3 years, financial strain is the largest reason for early termination apparently.

Get your ducks in order and give Mota a call, I’m sure you will be able to get sorted.

mitch
            Participant

i changed 6 months early, they reduced the fee to £50 and refunded the ap prorata but also paid the gcb prorata which was a recent thing they introduced.

but i am not sure what happens if you are leaving the scheme entireley.

Glos Guy
              Participant

Brydo – As you already have an SUV (and your wife’s wheelchair fits in it) these obviously can’t be reasons you could cite, so I would use the running costs argument. The XC40 B4P is renowned for poor mpg so I think you could have a case on that alone. Good luck.

Newbie1892

Hi @glos Guy

i phoned motability recently about my car and the fact that we are being crippled by the running costs, and this sharan just drinks petrol 1.4tsi engine, I even explained that the vw dealer said because there’s not a lot of miles on my old car I don’t need a diesel, we just came out of lockdown and vw didn’t let me think long enough about what mileage I would do, 21 plate picked up march 2nd already 8,000 miles cost of petrol well over 1,000 already, motability just responded with take it to vw to be checked over, well they did that no faults found now stuck in a position where I just can’t afford to run it anymore. I want my dirty diesel back!

Glos Guy
                  Participant

Hi @glos Guy i phoned motability recently about my car and the fact that we are being crippled by the running costs, and this sharan just drinks petrol 1.4tsi engine, I even explained that the vw dealer said because there’s not a lot of miles on my old car I don’t need a diesel, we just came out of lockdown and vw didn’t let me think long enough about what mileage I would do, 21 plate picked up march 2nd already 8,000 miles cost of petrol well over 1,000 already, motability just responded with take it to vw to be checked over, well they did that no faults found now stuck in a position where I just can’t afford to run it anymore. I want my dirty diesel back!

Hi Newbie1892 – Sorry to hear about your situation. In Motability’s defence, I think that your situation might be a bit different. Your annual mileage has become quite high since March and neither Motability nor your supplying dealer would have known that was going to be the case. Everyone’s mileage was very low over the year of lockdowns, but you are the only one who would have had knowledge of what your ‘normal’ annual mileage was, or would be. Even if a dealer suggested that a petrol car would be fine for you, ultimately it is your responsibility to do your research and order the most appropriate car for your needs. Others can advise, but the decision is yours and yours alone. So, saying that you didn’t realise that you were going to be a high mileage driver, or you rushed into the wrong decision, isn’t the fault of the dealer or Motability.

However, in other respects your situation is the same as Brydo, in that you both regret ordering what you did. Brydo is the biggest fan of EV’s on this forum (and is always telling us all why we should have one) yet, for some reason, ordered probably the most thirsty petrol SUV on the scheme (in his defence, there probably wasn’t a suitable SUV EV that was big enough for wheelchair users at the time he ordered – there still isn’t, as far as I know). Whilst the vast majority of cars return far less than their stated mpg in real world driving, some fall woefully short. As far as I know, Brydo’s Volvo XC40 B-4P falls into that category and therefore I think that his strongest argument (if he wishes to leave the scheme) is to say that the running costs are significantly more than he had calculated based upon Volvos figures (which are also quoted on the Motability website car search tool). He couldn’t have reasonably predicted that, so has not ended up with what he ordered in good faith. It’s probably borderline, but I think is a reasonable reason to seek an early termination as long as he uses that argument alone and not that he regrets not ordering an EV.

So, in summary, if your Sharan is returning significantly less mpg than is stated and VW cannot find a fault, I would call Motability again and tell them this and that you cannot afford to run the car and would like the option to change. I would avoid mentioning the mileage issue, as they can say that was your fault that you didn’t do your homework. Good luck and I hope that you get a resolution.

Tim

All depends on the person at Motability… I was granted early permission to change on a 2 month old car due to fantastical MPG claims by VW. Now, we do take these figures with a pinch of salt but VW seem to be worse than ever at giving reasonable figures.

Tim

Separate to the above, I would love to see some posts on alternatives to the Motability scheme. I’m also tempted to move outside of it. I’m hopeful that @wmcforum would be alright with posters discussing and posting alternatives? In my mind it’s still folk in receipt of an allowance discussing ‘which’ Car.

Glos Guy
                        Participant

All depends on the person at Motability… I was granted early permission to change on a 2 month old car due to fantastical MPG claims by VW. Now, we do take these figures with a pinch of salt but VW seem to be worse than ever at giving reasonable figures.

Good point Tim and confirms that the advice that I have given can work if you focus on that issue alone. Re VW’s, they don’t seem to be the most fuel efficient. We have recently taken delivery of a 2.0i petrol BMW X1 4WD and are getting better mpg than we were getting from our previous 2.0i diesel VW Tiguan 4WD! It just goes to show the difference in engine technology between different manufacturers.

Glos Guy
                          Participant

Separate to the above, I would love to see some posts on alternatives to the Motability scheme. I’m also tempted to move outside of it. I’m hopeful that @wmcforum would be alright with posters discussing and posting alternatives? In my mind it’s still folk in receipt of an allowance discussing ‘which’ Car.

It’s fine to discuss it Tim, but you will find that the majority of users of this forum are of the view that the scheme is a ‘no brainer’ and far cheaper than any other alternative. For many, their financial position, credit rating etc etc does indeed mean that it probably is a no brainer if running a brand new car is desirable, as there would be no other alternative for them. The ‘peace of mind’ argument is also a very strong one. However, an increasing number are now leaving the scheme and it is telling that for every three people who are eligible to join the Motability scheme, only one does. Twice as many people use their benefits for other things, including running cars (new or used) privately.

A few years ago I gave a worked example of how we ran a VW Tiguan through Motability and a brand new top spec BMW 5 Series privately at the same time and the annual costs (including depreciation, servicing, maintenance, tyres, road tax & insurance) were slightly less on the BMW – a car that was far better than anything available through Motability. I was all for leaving the scheme this time but my wife (the PIP recipient) likes the ‘peace of mind’ 🙄

James

I’ve only had my T5 XC40 about three weeks and I’m handing it back and leaving the scheme, it’s rubbish! and I put around £3000 worth of extras on that I won’t get a penny back.

I like the scheme and it’s dirt cheap compared to doing it yourself but where lucky enough to both work and go private.

Ive a couple of weeks off next month so will go look at Tesla and the Audi etron, bet I don’t have any issues getting a test drive now either.

fwippers
                              Participant

There are lots of alternatives to Motability and I did research on many, however when you factor in all the costs, insurance and maintenance, plus a much stricter inspection on hand back, none came close. Also bear in mind a 3 year lease agreement rarely gives the opportunity of early termination, or if it does, with huge penalties.

Wigwam
                                Participant

James, have talked here about what’s wrong with your XC40?  It might be useful to other prospective lessees.  I completed on online survey from Volvo about the car only yesterday, so the few negatives are still on my mind, but generally we are very pleased with it.

BigDave
                                  Participant

I left the scheme and ‘went private’ early this year.

My view was that I had the money sat in the bank, earning bu$$er all interest at the current low rates and having recently retired from my day job, I wanted a vehicle to suit my hobbies, as well as for generally pottering about on our family farming business. Plus the vehicle I wanted was not on the scheme (and is very unlikely to ever be on the scheme).

I got a very good deal, having tacked my order onto an order placed by the farms, so I went for it and have never looked back.

Some of the perceived ‘security’ of the scheme is mitigated by the fact that the vehicle came with a 3yr unlimited milage manufacturer’s warranty which can be extended, 3yrs rescue/recovery including European cover etc and a negotiated 3yr servicing package. Also, I am eligible to tax it as disabled so have no road tax to pay.

Other than insurance (yes, that one hurt a little because of the vehicle, but again it was mitigated by the ‘no claims discount letter’ from Motability/RSA being honoured by my insurers) and tyres, I really have no running costs other than fuel and other consumables.

Plus having specced the vehicle up, I know there will be at least some return on the additional specification when it comes to selling the vehicle (or trading it in 3 years down the line for a new one).

In return I bank the £69.85 weekly amount that was formerly paid to Motability and save that up, to put towards the vehicle’s eventual replacement.

Overall, I suppose it was being in the fortunate position of having the money just sat in the bank to buy the vehicle outright brand new that was a main factor (I have no wish to be the richest man in the cemetery), plus I have no interest to pay or PCP/lease conditions to adhere to etc. Plus it was opportune timing to tack my vehicle onto a multi-vehicle order to secure a very decent discount.

I realise not everyone has the cash just sat there to buy a vehicle outright, but there are other options if they suit your own personal circumstances (very low mileage etc). However I do understand why some people stick with Motability.

Dave

ChrisK
                                    Participant

Your right Dave I would do the same in your boots but for myself while I could finace a small new car there’s no way I could afford the type of cars that I need to carry my gear i.e. £30K plus and not the £10K for a small car.

I’d have no problems getting bank loans against the home I live in but I’m simply too old to guarantee I’m around long enough to pay the debt off without passing that debt onto my next of kin.

Brydo
                                      Participant

I’ve had a look at what’s out there and every BEV I would want is out there …………….. at a price. Unfortunately, so far, I havnt seen anything available on the second hand market that would be suitable for our needs.

What is clear, from a quick scan of the internet, is motability APPEAR to be the biggest losers of the Chip, pandemic, Brexit fall out. I haven’t asked about wait times so maybe they are advertising cars they have little or no availability to but they certainly appeared to be in a better place.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
                                        Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

jason

I have changed my car 3 times in the last 5 years as my conditions change and are having problems now in my last year on my Toyota Yaris I don’t want to get struck off motability but it’s not my fault my conditions change so why should I be penalised.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.