Highways England launches “go left” safety campaign

• Creator
    Topic
  • #142344 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Highways England has launched a new campaign advising drivers to “go left” if they break down on the motorway.

The multi-million pound exercise is aimed at improving safety on smart motorways following a review by the Transport Secretary last year.

It is being supported by partners across the recovery industry and independent road safety campaigner Meera Naran.

Set to the tune of the Pet Shop Boys’ hit version of the ‘Go West’ song, the advert delivers a clear, single-minded message – go left.

Highways England Acting Chief Executive, Nick Harris, said: “No one plans to break down on a motorway, but if the unexpected happens then I want all motorists to know what to do so that they can keep themselves and others safe.

“Everyone wants a safe journey and raising awareness is a vital part of helping to make sure that happens.

“This new campaign and its ‘Go left’ message is designed to deliver crucial information in an accessible way and to help make motorways safer for the people who use them.”

The campaign is part of an 18-point action plan set out in the Evidence Stocktake published by the Department for Transport in March last year.

The Transport Secretary called on Highways England to deliver the campaign to improve safety and public confidence on smart motorways. However, the Transport Committee has launched a seprate inquiry into the benefits and safety of Smart Motorways in response to numerous calls for them to be scrapped.

Campaigners against Smart Motorways have labelled them as ‘death traps’. One coroner concluded that smart motorways ‘present an ongoing risk of future deaths’ while another has referred Highways England to the Crown Prosecution Service to consider if corporate manslaughter charges are appropriate following the 2018 death of a grandmother on the M1 in South Yorkshire.

Meera Naran is campaigning for Safer Drivers on Safer Roads following the death of her eight-year-old son Dev on the M6. She said: “Having successfully campaigned for the implementation of the 18-point safety plan – this education campaign is an integral step in the right direction to support motorists.”

In 2019 there were almost 230,000 reported breakdowns across the Highways England network including around 207,500 on motorways. In the 12 months from June 2019, around 40,000 breakdowns were recorded as being due to tyre issues while more than 6,000 incidents were a result of vehicles running out of fuel.

AA president, Edmund King OBE, added: “As motorway design has changed since many of us passed our test, it is vital to inform drivers what they should do in rare but worse-case scenarios.

“This welcome new campaign reminds drivers to ‘go left’ should their vehicles develop faults and if possible, get off the motorway. However, if they can’t, then they should head for the next emergency zone.

“Some breakdowns can be avoided completely, so drivers should take five minutes before setting off to ensure their tyres are inflated correctly, that they have enough fuel or electric charge and that engine fluids are topped up.”

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #142345 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

What is the point of telling us to “go left” if there ain’t a left to go to? The hard shoulder is indispensable for motorway safety. If it is now used for moving traffic you have nowhere to go. Yes, I know there are so-called “emergency zones”. But if your vehicle breaks down completely and won’t move at all then you are done for. Only hope is to get to inside lane, exit car as safely and quickly as possible then dive into the greenery at the edge.

I have never been on a “smart” or hard-shoulder-free motorway and I never will. Far too dangerous.

#142356 Reply
    ajn

Madness

#142367 Reply
    joss

On the M1 Sheffield. smart motorways have been proven to be lethal. Well documented in the media. It is a section of motorway I drive to visit my daughter. It is extremely busy and I do not feel safe on that section with no hard shoulder.

As for the advert! what a waste of money. Everyone knows to go left, but to where? it’s a live lane. It needs reverting back to a proper hard shoulder and no more “smart” motorways, There is nothing smart about them.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142374 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Well said, Joss. Waste of money? Not for the mates of politicians who have been paid many, many thousands of quid to come up with the idea.

#142404 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Seen the advertisement a couple of times today on TV and good to see a government department taking a light hearted view of something that is killing folk. 😒

#142431 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Smart motorways were only ever designed to save money, a cheap way to get a fourth lane without building one. There has been little or no regard to safety taken into consideration when designing them or it would have been thrown out at the drawing board. To remove the safety lane on road where you have 3 lanes of traffic travelling at 70mph is insanity and i think the government and the highways agency realise that now albeit a little late for some poor unfortunate people and their families, lets just hope they do something more constructive than a disco re mix to solve the issue.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#143713 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Have now seen this ad on telly. Must repeat Chrisk’s judgement – making jokes about a system that kills people is just not on. Why on earth do we continue to put up with, and steadfastly refuse to criticise, this appallingly incompetent government. Whole thing offensive in the extreme. An utter disgrace!

#143718 Reply
    Vinnie
    Participant

I totally agree Tharg, offensive and disgraceful, would be better if they did what they should have done in the first place and added another lane, or even better made the whole of the A1 into a 3 lane motorway from Edinburgh to London, but oh 😮 that will cost too much and we need our pay rises to be able to live our lavish lives!

#143721 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I find it hard to understand the purpose of the campaign. Isn’t it everyone’s instinct to head to the left if you have to slow down or stop?  Why do we need telling?

Seems to me it’s just a campaign to distract from the criticism of the decision to introduce Smart Motorways. And the whole style of the advertising  appalls me.  Who is it supposed to appeal to?

#143723 Reply
    ajn

The scary thing is once you’ve done all the survival of the obvious left thing, and end up stuck there hoping not get smashed into..👀

#143726 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I believe once you have come to a halt you’re supposed to bail out and head for the hills.

#143727 Reply
    ajn

@wigwam, Hhhmm yes wheelchair too for some..

#143729 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

There’s you putting practicality in the way of a good theory, ajn. Should be ashamed of yourself.

#143732 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

What’s more, if I understand it correctly, the advice is to open the passenger door and get out that side. Both of these actions are impossible for me and, I suspect, for most members here. But I admit I may have misunderstood this, as it is near the end of the ad and by then the red mist has come down and I am trying not to boot the TV into the next dimension!

#143743 Reply
    joss

And at a cost of how many millions for that very helpful advert?

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143746 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Watched it again. It DOES say you should get out of the passenger door. Boris and pals would be perfectly OK in the back of their mega-limo’s which are designed to facilitate this. Their driver(s) would be, I suspect, be stuck inside waiting for the 40+ tonne heavy to ram from behind. As would all of us. Try it in a Mini!

What planet do they live on? Is it Taking-the-piss-out-of-real-people-and-having-a-good-laugh world?

#143751 Reply
    Chris

Brainless advert, and at the end the clueless driver parks up in the middle of the short lay-by therefore causing major problems for other vehicles especially long ones, any normal thoughtful driver would park at the far end,

#143757 Reply
    ajn

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I love how calm he is too, once the cronk finally got to the left, I’d be out and clambering over fences to the best of my ability🤣</p>

#143764 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Politically incorrect and morally wrong it may be, but you SO want an artic to demolish the plonker before he gets out. Even better, have him get out of nearside door, as instructed, and get totalled by a massive Harley or Goldwing megabike!

In real terms, given the problems involved for disabled drivers, we need an Aston DB5 equipped with a ejector-seat. Could s0meone please ask Motability to get it on to scheme.

#143769 Reply
    Georgie

“The multi-million pound exercise is aimed at improving safety on smart motorways”  The best way to improve safety on ‘smart’ motorways is to ban the bloody things!  I’m just waiting for their nest brilliant idea – bringing back the suicide lanes on busy A roads.

#143773 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Ah, those were the days. Suicide lane A-roads: the pre-motorway A1 Great North Road was hundreds of miles of it! London to Oakham took 4 hours plus on a Beezer Gold Flash with sidecar. No overtaking possible in the days when 0-60 times were measured in minutes! (Unless you had an E-type)

#143798 Reply
    Georgie

The A10 Golden Flash was a thing of beauty, as are most ‘vintage’ bikes.  Please tell me it was in gold!

https://nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/vehicle-collection/bsa-a10-golden-flash/

“0-60 times were measured in minutes!”

Ha!  I watched the F1 Bahrain GP first thing this morning: remember when Pit Stops took 10+ minutes rather than under 3 seconds?  The Pit Crew smoked fags while refueling, too . . .

#143887 Reply
    joss

“Go Left”

Heyhey
    well well well well
    yeaah
    yeaah

We will go our way
    We will leave someday
    Your hand in my hand
    We will make the plans

We will fly so high
    Tell our friends goodbye
    We will start life new
    This is what we’ll do

Go left Life is peaceful there
    Go left Lots of open air
    Go left To begin life new
    Go left This is what we’ll do

Go left Sun in winter time
    Go left We will do just fine
    Go left Where the skies are blue
    Go left This and more we’ll do

Together We will love the beach
    Together We will learn and teach
    Together Change our pace of life
    Together We will work and strive

I love you I know you love me
    I want you Happy and carefree
    So that’s why I have no protest
    When you say You want to go left

Go left Life is peaceful there
    Go left Lots of open air
    Go left To begin life new
    Go left This is what we’ll do

Go left Sun in winter time
    Go left We will do just fine
    Go left Where the skies are blue
    Go left This and more we’ll do

I know that there are many ways
    to live there in the sun or shade.
    Together we will find a place
    to settle down and live with space

without the busy pace back east,
    the hustling, rustling of the feet,
    I know I’m ready to leave too,
    so this is what we’re going to do,

Go left Life is peaceful there.
    Go left Lots of open air.
    Go left To begin life new.
    Go left This is what we’ll do.

Go left Sun in winter time.
    Go left We will do just fine.
    Go left Where the skies are blue.
    Go left This and more we’ll do.

Go left Life is peaceful there.
    Go left Lots of open air.
    Go left To begin life new.
    Go left This is what we’ll do.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143888 Reply
    ajn

Cheers Joss just got told off for walking around the house whistling the tune for hours 😗

#143892 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Village People Greatest Hits now playing. Thanks Joss!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Highways England launches “go left” safety campaign
Your information: