Heated Winscreen switches of after 30 seconds -so awkward

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Olpk 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #90892 Reply
    martino

every time im in the and i put Heated Winscreen on to keep my winscreen clear it switches of after about 30 seconds -so awkward  for me as i cant use my left hand to switch it on and need to use my right hand or leave it of,  so in the rainy weather i need it on a lot , i remember when you put it on and it stayed on , some new tech/idea are not great

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #90907 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

I thought heated windscreens were designed to de-ice the screen and then go off not keep it de-fogged like the rear one does, you have a blower for that on the front.

#90909 Reply
    Philjb

Martino on my Tiguan the heated screen automatically comes on when you put the max demist on, it turns itself off when it senses it’s cleared the screen.

If I switch the max demist off the heated screen goes off.

Is yours linked to the demist/aircon?

#90911 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

A pro tip for stopping your windows fogging up, don’t use aircon. Most of the fog is trace refrigerant in the system being blown onto the glass.

Turn your aircon off and clean your windows thoroughly and they will fog up much less and not need cleaning as often.

During those couple of days in the summer when aircon is actually needed, set it to feet and forward vents and not the screen. After use keep it off the screen for a good while to allow any gas to clear the system.

Had my current car 3 years and 1 month, used aircon 2 or 3 times and cleaned my windows maybe every 3 months.

#90919 Reply
    Philjb

I use the aircon all the time misting up is never a problem.
    Been doing the same since aircon was added to cars.

#90931 Reply
    SaintsMan

Me too, never mists up on any car I’ve had with Aircon. I use rainex on the outside and that stops bug spatter in summer and keeps the ice off in winter.

#90935 Reply
    Oracle
    Participant

A pro tip for stopping your windows fogging up, don’t use aircon. Most of the fog is trace refrigerant in the system being blown onto the glass. Turn your aircon off and clean your windows thoroughly and they will fog up much less and not need cleaning as often. During those couple of days in the summer when aircon is actually needed, set it to feet and forward vents and not the screen. After use keep it off the screen for a good while to allow any gas to clear the system. Had my current car 3 years and 1 month, used aircon 2 or 3 times and cleaned my windows maybe every 3 months.

Air conditioning actually helps to reduce fogging, as it dehumidifies the interior of the car – just adjust the temperature accordingly for the time of year. I run my AC in my car almost permanently; in summer it keeps me cool, in winter it keeps me warm, without fogging up or me needing to ‘crack a window’. Trace refrigerant has nothing to do with it (shouldn’t be leaking anyway) and it is only cold when it is in the system anyway.

The only downside to air conditioning is that it draws power, therefore stealing some from the engine and also using marginally more fuel. For me, it’s a trade-off that I am comfortable with.

OP – my heated windscreen goes off automatically after around 1-2 minutes in my car, and this is normal. The idea is that it clears the screener from ice/frosting/whatever, but you then adjust your heater in the car to keep the windscreen clear (and I’d recommend trying having your air conditioning activated, but the temperature set higher, perhaps around 21-22 degrees). Just keep it on a low fan setting, but set to blow onto the windscreen.

#91077 Reply
    Olpk

I always had an issue with work cars getting in after another driver and they are all fogged up as they have used aircon during the day but temp changes for night shift caused moisture.

The choice is use aircon for a quick demist or use normal vents and sit for ages until the fog clears.

I had to do the latter as aircon gives me a bad throat.

Aircon creates moisture due to temperature difference creating condensation.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Heated Winscreen switches of after 30 seconds -so awkward

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: