Future Boring – Electric cars

• Creator
    Topic
  • #188728 Reply
    tinytim
    Participant

As i am a Dinosaur i remember milk floats some are still around all you do is press the Accelerator and off you go you have to use the brakes though. Now with press and go upgraded milk floats dressed up to look like a proper car there are at present no EC with gears which makes it easy to drive with no sound and boring enough to fall asleep when we get the self driving car that would be relaxing but again boring they maybe fast as a hot hatch but no sound so very boring.By the way i do have a mobility scooter so i know the word boring.

tim

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #188819 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Which would rely on being able to park outside the house, something that is not guaranteed. Not sure they would be quite so willing to have a cable running across the pavement, over the road and down to the green where my car tends to end up 3 or 4 nights a week.

Hi Sue, Have you ever thought of speaking to your local authority and asking for a disabled bay outside your home.

#188837 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Usually the people who Diss EVs are those who don’t have one, haven’t driven one & are suckered in by all the BS online.

I don’t think that’s the case at all and I for one may talk BS now again but certainly haven’t been suckered by any BS on the tinternet🤣

I quite like the idea of an EV and lucky to have off road parking, however I will probably wait untill solid state batteries become the norm, which will allow much faster charging and a range more akin to a fossil fueled vehicle. I would also like to see larger vehicles/SUV’s fully electrified.

#188839 Reply
    POPS

My journey towards EV has been a gradual approach.

Petrol manual

Petrol auto

Diesel auto

Petrol Hybrid …. My intention is to go Full electric in 2024 at the end of my current lease, if the government hasn’t brought in a prohibitive electric charging tax in the meantime.

I’ve learned a lot about the progress of EV’s from Brydo’s regular excellent posts, and I’ve kept up to date on the current and future prospects for Petrol/Diesel.

The knowledge collected has informed my decisions over the years, but everyone’s situation is different and I realise that access to charging isn’t available for all of us.

#188844 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

We’d love to go EV, we have a drive for home charging, but as I’ve said before, we are regular visitors to Cornwall, proper south of the county near St Ives. I keep looking at the charging infrastructure there, and it’s just appalling, a few 7kw chargers at supermarkets but only 3 fast (50kw) chargers for the whole area of Hayle, St Ives, Penzance, St Just & Lands End. And according to Zap Map, two of those are not very reliable.

On the plus side, I did see what looked like work on an installation of a whole row of chargers at Taunton Deane services on the M5.

#188937 Reply
    MarkF

I’ve driven a few fast cars and have driven them rather quickly but there’s still something amusing when you get some lad in his modded little number who sits beside you at the lights making enough noise to deafen the neighbourhood and then ends up behind you once the lights turn green.  What makes that fun is the boring mini SUV that the ZS looks like but really doesn’t drive like once Sport has been hit.

EVs aren’t for everyone but anyone who says they’re boring really should jump in one, get used to it then stick it in sport mode, even better try it in a Model S and see the world go backwards…

#188970 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

JoJoe this one is for you.

SWARCO Smart Charging, a UK provider of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, has signed a significant new partnership agreement with Cornwall Council to supply, install, maintain and operate EV charging points throughout the county over the next four years.

These will be a mix of 7kW AC, 22kW AC and 50kW DC chargers. The agreement includes the delivery of European Regional Development Funded charge points in 2022-23, as part of the Drive EV2 project.

With petrol and diesel vehicles accounting for almost 15% of emissions, Cornwall Council is supporting the development of a network of EV chargers as part of its commitment to decarbonise transport and become carbon neutral by 2030. Residents and visitors will be able to utilise readily available charging facilities, ensuring electric vehicles are a viable alternative.

The partnership’s primary objective will be the development of Cornwall’s strategic network of EV charge points. Both organisations are committed to ensuring that residents within the county, and visitors, will be able to confidently find, and use a charger, to support their travel needs.

As part of this combined commitment, SWARCO Smart Charging has committed to long-term investment in the region for funding rapid and ultra-rapid charging hubs, to complement the Council’s electrification efforts.

“This collaboration brings together a motivation to make EV charging a reality for the people of Cornwall,” said Justin Meyer, Managing Director at SWARCO Smart charging.

“With the growing demand for sustainability, and the fast rise in popularity of EVs across the country, SWARCO’s ambition to bring quick charging to Cornwall is a duty that will assure ease of access, solutions, and reliability.

“We are committed to moving towards a future that helps Cornwall Council support the transition for the UK to become a low-carbon economy.”

The Drive EV2 project has received £3,625,00 from the England European Regional Development Fund, which helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations.

SWARCO Smart Charging provides EV charging infrastructure along with the systems and services to support them, and has more than 8,000 charging points installed across the UK. SWARCO Smart Charging is part of SWARCO – an international group providing the complete range of products, systems, services and solutions for road safety and intelligent traffic management to support the mobility needs of society and lower-transport-related emissions.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#188975 Reply
    Jojoe
    Participant

BrydoParticipant
    JoJoe this one is for you.

SWARCO Smart Charging, a UK provider of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, has signed a significant new partnership agreement with Cornwall Council to supply, install, maintain and operate EV charging points throughout the county over the next four years.

These will be a mix of 7kW AC, 22kW AC and 50kW DC chargers. The agreement includes the delivery of European Regional Development Funded charge points in 2022-23, as part of the Drive EV2 project.

With petrol and diesel vehicles accounting for almost 15% of emissions, Cornwall Council is supporting the development of a network of EV chargers as part of its commitment to decarbonise transport and become carbon neutral by 2030. Residents and visitors will be able to utilise readily available charging facilities, ensuring electric vehicles are a viable alternative.

The partnership’s primary objective will be the development of Cornwall’s strategic network of EV charge points. Both organisations are committed to ensuring that residents within the county, and visitors, will be able to confidently find, and use a charger, to support their travel needs.

As part of this combined commitment, SWARCO Smart Charging has committed to long-term investment in the region for funding rapid and ultra-rapid charging hubs, to complement the Council’s electrification efforts.

“This collaboration brings together a motivation to make EV charging a reality for the people of Cornwall,” said Justin Meyer, Managing Director at SWARCO Smart charging.

“With the growing demand for sustainability, and the fast rise in popularity of EVs across the country, SWARCO’s ambition to bring quick charging to Cornwall is a duty that will assure ease of access, solutions, and reliability.

“We are committed to moving towards a future that helps Cornwall Council support the transition for the UK to become a low-carbon economy.”

The Drive EV2 project has received £3,625,00 from the England European Regional Development Fund, which helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations.

SWARCO Smart Charging provides EV charging infrastructure along with the systems and services to support them, and has more than 8,000 charging points installed across the UK. SWARCO Smart Charging is part of SWARCO – an international group providing the complete range of products, systems, services and solutions for road safety and intelligent traffic management to support the mobility needs of society and lower-transport-related emissions.

Its certainly needed, but I can see charging in Cornwall being very problematic for EV owners for many years to come.

The area I mention, the  very south west tip has a 5 or 6 major towns, I can imagine the population increases 10 fold between July and September. You’ll have people on holiday parks charging their cars with an extension cable and a 3 pin plug coming from the window of a static caravan.

#188996 Reply
    MFillingham
    Participant

BrydoParticipant JoJoe this one is for you. SWARCO Smart Charging, a UK provider of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure, has signed a significant new partnership agreement with Cornwall Council to supply, install, maintain and operate EV charging points throughout the county over the next four years. These will be a mix of 7kW AC, 22kW AC and 50kW DC chargers. The agreement includes the delivery of European Regional Development Funded charge points in 2022-23, as part of the Drive EV2 project. With petrol and diesel vehicles accounting for almost 15% of emissions, Cornwall Council is supporting the development of a network of EV chargers as part of its commitment to decarbonise transport and become carbon neutral by 2030. Residents and visitors will be able to utilise readily available charging facilities, ensuring electric vehicles are a viable alternative. The partnership’s primary objective will be the development of Cornwall’s strategic network of EV charge points. Both organisations are committed to ensuring that residents within the county, and visitors, will be able to confidently find, and use a charger, to support their travel needs. As part of this combined commitment, SWARCO Smart Charging has committed to long-term investment in the region for funding rapid and ultra-rapid charging hubs, to complement the Council’s electrification efforts. “This collaboration brings together a motivation to make EV charging a reality for the people of Cornwall,” said Justin Meyer, Managing Director at SWARCO Smart charging. “With the growing demand for sustainability, and the fast rise in popularity of EVs across the country, SWARCO’s ambition to bring quick charging to Cornwall is a duty that will assure ease of access, solutions, and reliability. “We are committed to moving towards a future that helps Cornwall Council support the transition for the UK to become a low-carbon economy.” The Drive EV2 project has received £3,625,00 from the England European Regional Development Fund, which helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. SWARCO Smart Charging provides EV charging infrastructure along with the systems and services to support them, and has more than 8,000 charging points installed across the UK. SWARCO Smart Charging is part of SWARCO – an international group providing the complete range of products, systems, services and solutions for road safety and intelligent traffic management to support the mobility needs of society and lower-transport-related emissions.

Its certainly needed, but I can see charging in Cornwall being very problematic for EV owners for many years to come. The area I mention, the very south west tip has a 5 or 6 major towns, I can imagine the population increases 10 fold between July and September. You’ll have people on holiday parks charging their cars with an extension cable and a 3 pin plug coming from the window of a static caravan.

So this looks like it’ll replace the current offering that has so many broken chargers, which can’t be a bad thing.  Hopefully (but sceptically I can’t see it) it’ll then lead to a roll out of new chargers in every car park in a quantity that reflects summer needs.  That, plus Cornwall Service’s new hub, the new chargers at Cornwall College (Tesla superchargers) plus a good few pubs, etc, adding a couple of rapids might just mean that the charging provision won’t fail miserably through the highest demand periods.

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Future Boring – Electric cars
Your information: