Ford confirms strategy to go fully electric by 2030

• Creator
    Topic
  • #140276 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ford has committed to sell only electric cars in Europe by 2030, with all Ford cars sold in the continent by 2026 expected to be zero-emissions capable.

The brand’s entire commercial vehicle range will also be zero-emissions capable, electric or plug-in hybrid, by 2024, with two-thirds of Ford’s commercial vehicle sales expected to be all-electric or plug-in hybrid by 2030.

“We successfully restructured Ford of Europe and returned to profitability in the fourth quarter of 2020. Now we are charging into an all-electric future in Europe with expressive new vehicles and a world-class connected customer experience,” said Stuart Rowley, president, Ford of Europe.

“We expect to continue our strong momentum this year in Europe and remain on track to deliver our goal of a six percent EBIT margin as part of Ford’s plan to turnaround our global automotive operations,” he added.

Spearheading Ford’s advance into an all-electric future is a new $1 billion (£720m) investment to modernise its vehicle assembly facility in Cologne, Germany, one of its largest manufacturing centres in Europe.

The investment will transform the existing vehicle assembly operations into the Ford Cologne Electrification Center for the manufacture of electric vehicles, Ford’s first such facility in Europe.

Ford also confirmed that its first European-built, volume all-electric passenger vehicle for European customers will be produced at the facility from 2023, with the potential for a second all-electric vehicle built there under consideration.

The announcement from Ford follows the launch of Jaguar Land Rover’s new strategy to make Jaguar an electric-only car brand within four years.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140285 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

At last Ford makes the move from 2035 to 2030, finally realising that BEVs are now cutting deeply into the car markets & that many companies are already limiting their fleet to BEVs or PHEVs already.

#140287 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Isn’t this just because legislation is forcing them?  No manufacturer would choose to continue making goods that no-one is allowed to buy.

#140289 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Julie the naysayers’ on the Forum will be wondering how this can be as they are have been saying for months that its not possible to go electric by 2030. Now we have one of the biggest manufacturers out there commiting to it maybe they will be convinced……………..But probably not.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#140301 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Indeed, Brydo, and with Jaguar moving to mainly EVs by 2025 & already having their lovely iPace on the roads is helping.

Wigwam, yes, good point, but the increased pace in sales of BEVs has the legacy fossil manufacturers worried too, the BEV market has gone from first adopters who have put up with low ranges, to corporate fleets looking to be able to sell their secondhand cars for a reasonable amount. People were shocked when ER started throwing themselves in front of fossil cars in Central London, but if they throw themselves in front of BEVs they’ll just get laughed at.

#140302 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

As is often the case Brydo, you are missing my point.  This is a decision by Ford in relation to the European market dictated by European legislation.  Ford will continue to make ICE equipped cars elsewhere. Whether it’s possible or not to provide an adequate EV infrastructure and also persuade everyone to buy a new EV from 2030 in Europe is still unknown.

#140313 Reply
    Daf

Even the most luddite among us must see the writing is on the wall. Yes the legislation focuses the mind but there is also the recognition that there is a real desire among people to clean up our act and embrace the new environmentally kinder technology. If the major car manufacturers really did feel this was just big brother act forcing them to do something that their customers did not want they would be fighting a rearguard, similar to that of the tobacco industry.

The realisation is that as battery tech improves, weight ratio, range, efficiency etc and with the environmental benefits the argument is compelling.

Why not take a drive in an EV and see for yourself the undoubted advantages. The more you drive one the less important range anxiety becomes.

#140317 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Ford has committed to sell only electric cars in Europe by 2030 elsewhere it might be by 2050 or 2060 who know’s but it doe’s seem anyone who speaks out is shot down for having a different views or asking a valid question.

Maybe europe is the whole world? or maybe we breeding negativity where as brydo is always correct 100% of the time.

Going electric by 2030 is not possible as there are no plans to ban older ice car from the roads as yet anyway, they are just limiting car makers from selling any more new ones. The two things are completely different issues also hybrids can be sold to 2035 so they not fully electric are they.. So no the whole world will not be electric by 2030. At a virtual meeting of the UN General Assembly in September 2020, Chinese President Xi Jinping said the country planned “to have CO2 emissions peak before 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality before 2060”

Consumers will and should make the choice and that’s how it should be rolled out not set by goverments and agenda’s by the UN to adopt it by a certain date and or force people to adapt with higher and higher taxs.

Just like they said diesel were better and then it turned out they are not? but then what when we do go fully electic how will they raise revenue without the tax on fossil fuels and also it is coming to light that the goverment may have to borrow another 60 billion this year because of the loss in tax revenue from covid.

So where is all this money coming from that the goverment is giving away or making companies change over at huge costs, for now it’s a good move if you can take the leap and they get tax breaks etc and lower costs but the other costs or losses to the goverment need to be made up somewhere and that will be from us the consumer.

#140324 Reply
    Daf

No doubt the consumer will make the choice, particularly when Governments will increasingly take the potential to pollute into the economic equation. By that process ICE cars will simply become too expensive to drive whilst clean technology will continue to become cheaper. Even if the new tech was as expensive as ICE I would still  make the same choice because of the harm done to the environment and deaths across the world from pollution etc

I cant understand why anyone on a forum for disabled people, who are most likely to be adversely affected by ICE pollution, doesn’t get that? Personally I dont want a choice as to whether I pollute or not. I do want to try and undo and slow down the damage we have already done to the planet and cleaner tech is the way to go.

#140326 Reply
    Ian

Interesting points…and would you not say that you are causing the shooting down because the world is changing differently to what you are used to? I’m sure the climate has a right to be frustrated at your views wanting no change.

You are right zero production of ice cars for Europe in 2030 is different to going electric but surely is a step in the right direct because currently more electricity is used to refine petrochemicals (not including transportation) than the electricity produced to move an electric car. That’s clearly a saving financially and environmentally do you agree?

Consumers make the rules by voting governments who then have to decide what direction we take as a nation and a planet. If you vote a government in that says no more Ice production then suck it up thats what you voted for. As was Brexit, as was managing covid we as a nation chose our government to do it on our behalf.

You vote for your government to manage our finances, where it gets revenue from is governments choice and yes I expect to contribute. Why shouldn’t we?

#140329 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I don’t recall banning new ICE cars by 2030 being on and political part’s manifesto., Ian.

#140331 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Because i used to stand for the bus to school on one of the most polluted roads in london when cars kicked out lead and more pollution than current cars do.. and it was alot worse then than now imo.. how come we not all ill then.. look i do get it all..but it’s not so clear is it.. once upon a time they thought the world was flat and the guy was mad who said it was not.. Then he went on to prove it.. only time will tell if the science is right or wrong on this planet. millions and million of years old, yet they basing this on since records began..not so long ago in the history of the planet..

Then there was acid rain that was created in one place but the rain falls in another place, i Guess i do not buy into the we must save the planet now movement. what about when everyone burned coal or wood to heat there homes up etc etc.. we gotta stop that and use gas as thats what they wanted you to buy and use.

global warming, now climate change Who knows we may even enter an iceage soon. They will jump on that also. The planets cooling we need to take action..

it’s called Social engineering which is the act of tricking someone into divulging information or taking action, usually through technology. The idea behind social engineering is to take advantage of a potential victim’s natural tendencies and emotional reactions.

I have issues which was caused by a car driver should i then hate all car drivers and cars the answer is no

Same go’s for all people imo who do not follow the narritive setout by the drivers of social change.

We are told cars are bad yet there is pollution and worse stuff put into the enviroment and then some comeout with statments like your’s that disabled people, who are most likely to be adversely affected by ICE pollution which is trying to scare people into following. Thats the conditioning.

The same has happened with covid. I just don’t buy it as it’s not based on longer time science of the planet, like geologist. It’s almost like the planet has not heated and cooled before, thats how the oil was created in the 1st place.

The energy in oil initially comes from the Sun and then there is the core of the planet that erupts and releases gases etc all natural and not much man can do about that is there, but you never hear about that do you.. as it blows the narritive apart. So no i will never understand why with such a small set of data over a small amount of time in the history of the planet which is not ever released you all believe it.

#140332 Reply
    Ian

It was on the manifestos for the major parties

Labour’s here https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/13/labour-pledges-to-ban-sale-of-petrol-diesel-cars

Conservatives had already said they were banning in 2040 and such was urgent need they needed to bring it forward

Party manifesto summaries here

Election 2019: What the main parties’ manifestos say about zero-emissions transport

#140333 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

My old Dad used to say – if you’re confused by what’s going on around you, follow the money, then it will make sense.

#140334 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks for that Ian. Nothing in there says anything about banning ICE cars by 2030.

#140335 Reply
    Ian

Apart from the title and all its content.

Wow just wow. You are clearly only able to transmit not receive.

Bye

#140338 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I was editing that as it went through.  Ignore it please.

The Labour party “aimed” to ban by 2030 but did not propose putting it into law. The Conservatives promised to look at the feasibility of bringing the 2040 date forward.

Those are facts.  No one promised to do it.

#140342 Reply
    Chefthe1

Something will have to change for insurance purposes for mobility very soon. I can drive but I do find it painful and very stressful. So my wife and daughter do most of the driving. But my daughter is under 25 and I do have another teenager as well. So if I only had choice of electric cars. I only have about four choices to choose from at moment with no room for a wheelchair. This will have to be looked at very soon by mobility operations.

#140343 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

One thing that concerns me is how are the government going to make up the £40 Billion in lost fuel duty if we all switch over to EV’s?

The way I see it is one of two ways; either fit all EV’s with some sort of GPS/chip that records your mileage and you will be charged a set amount per mile you drive… or re-introduce something similar to the old tax disc system and tax EV’s by size/model, etc each year.

Either way, the government of the day will have to find a solution that taxes EV’s and combustion vehicles fairly.

#140347 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Road Pricing, solent60. The needed technology is already in modern cars.

#140348 Reply
    Daf

Ian I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Rox, please dont insult me with conspiracy theories, QAnon do it so much better.

#140353 Reply
    Brydo

Rox and wigwam strike again, guys I don’t know about you but I’m fed up reading their nonsense, cut off their oxygen by not replying to their posts.

Its becoming so tedious.

#140354 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Road Pricing, solent60. The needed technology is already in modern cars.

Yeah, that’s worry Wigwam. As soon as a government gets involved – you just know it’s going to cost an arm and a leg!

#140357 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

Yep, is that all you got as a reply daf ? No evidence or proof of what you say just what i say is conspiracy theories.

I know we’ll dimiss other science by saying it’s not real… or we will not allow it at all as it’s to dangerous to allow it.. and the people will believe us..

This is what i expect from blockheads, as for brydo that not very nice is it cut of my oxygen off, as you don’t like the infomation i post, how you gonna do that.. whatever you do you do it to yourself.

The fact is you don’t want to listen to any other view apart from what you are told.. Then you act like this.. My view is as valid as yours and i will not lower myself to your level.

You can breath oxygen for as long as you need to.. because unlike you i do have morals and standards.

I will provide facts and infomation, that you choose to disregard.. It makes no difference to me at all if you don’t like the info but is no need to get rude is there?..

lets not all reply to any of their posts because they say stuff different to what we believe and i have had enough of it.. just shows childish you can actually be.. thats on you not me..

#140358 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Just Brydo being Brydo…

#140364 Reply
    ajn

👀

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Ford confirms strategy to go fully electric by 2030
Your information: