First 50 rapid chargers installed at Morrisons

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  brydo 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #92868 Reply

Brydo

Article

Morrisons has installed the first 50 of its planned GeniePoint rapid chargers as stores across the UK, with another 50 due to be made live by 2020.

The supermarket chain is rolling-out the 50 kW DC chargers at a number of its store’s car parks to help EV drivers get a rapid charge, and bring additional customers to the sites.

GeniePoint is installing the rapid chargers around the perimeter of the Morrisons car parks, with the thought that it will help keep them free for those who need them. Without having them close to the doors, blocking by drivers of internal combustion engine cars – ICEing – is less likely since it will be less convenient for them.

The majority of the electricity supplied to the charge points will come from GeniePoint’s parent company Engie, which buys from zero-carbon sources such as hydroelectricity, biomass, bio-gas, wind and solar.

Andrew Ball, Fuel & Services Manager of Morrisons said: “Customers are beginning to take part in the biggest revolution in car design since the internal combustion engine was first developed. We need to follow them and give them the opportunity to charge while they shop.

“Alex Bamberg, managing director, Engie EV Solutions, said: “Providing convenient, fast charging facilities is essential in ensuring drivers have the confidence to switch to electric vehicles and reduce traffic pollution.

“Morrisons supermarkets are ideally situated in communities as drivers go about their day to day activities, and will make an important contribution as we build the most reliable rapid charging network nationwide.”

Access is via the GeniePoint web app, which is free to join. There is no monthly fee and drivers pay 30p/kWh used.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #92875 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

That’s great news Brydo

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#92877 Reply

Brydo

Mike when you get your first EV i can see you and Mrs Mike rolling up to Morrisons, doing a bit of shopping then in for a nice spot of lunch. Out you come an hour os so later, the car is fully charged and off you go.

#92878 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Brydo the famous Morrison’s fish chips and peas with bread and butter mmm

#92883 Reply

Brydo

Mike I have had a curry tonight but that just made me hungry.

#92910 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Curry sauce on the chips Brydo

#92912 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

#92920 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Booths are also installing rapid chargers. (Booths being a supermarket chain in NW England).

I only noticed this when trying to see if I could get to the parents area in an electric car & once there if I could get the car charged.

Electric Car Chargers Are Coming to Booths

#92924 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

If it’s anything to go by with my local Morrisons Blue Badge spaces abuse the charging bays will be occupied with fossil fuel cars.

#92926 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

GeniePoint is installing the rapid chargers around the perimeter of the Morrisons car parks, with the thought that it will help keep them free for those who need them. Without having them close to the doors, blocking by drivers of internal combustion engine cars – ICEing – is less likely since it will be less convenient for them.

May be less likely to be ‘ICEd’ but for those who need to be parked near to the store entrance in a BB space, it may cause some difficulties.

I popped into Morrisons in Elland yesterday and looking over towards where the two new electric points have been installed on the car-park, they are a good 100m plus away from the store entrance.

Although they haven’t mentioned it in their article, I wonder if they will fit one or more to the ‘Blue Badge’ and ‘Parent with child’ spaces in these early days. Although for the latter, it may need some realignment of the spaces as they park ‘nose to nose’.

Of course if they do fit them to BB spaces at the moment, there will no doubt be the ‘argument’ that it is cutting down the number of blue badge spaces for the 99% who currently have ICE vehicles.

#92928 Reply

Brydo

BigDave it’s saying you posted but nothing is visible.

#92931 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

BigDave it’s saying you posted but nothing is visible.

Hi Brydo, yes it does. Will try again!

May be less likely to be ‘ICEd’ but for those who need to be parked near to the store entrance in a BB space, it may cause some difficulties.

I popped into Morrisons in Elland yesterday and looking over towards where the two new electric points have been installed on the car-park, they are a good 100m plus away from the store entrance.

Although they haven’t mentioned it in their article, I wonder if they will fit one or more to the ‘Blue Badge’ and ‘Parent with child’ spaces in these early days. Although for the latter, it may need some realignment of the spaces as they park ‘nose to nose’.

Of course if they do fit them to BB spaces at the moment, there will no doubt be the ‘argument’ that it is cutting down the number of blue badge spaces for the 99% who currently have ICE vehicles.

#92932 Reply

Brydo

As with anything new there will be problems.

I’ve said for a very long time that chargers at food stores is a no brainer, especially at stores with restaurants/cafes.
    Popping in getting your shopping having a meal, snack or cup of tea then returning to a fully charged ev what could be better.

Shopping malls are another no brainer along with cinemas.

Making charging much easier is a precursor to the widespread adoption of EVs and with a bit of creative thinking I believe it can be done.

#92951 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

I just wonder who would use the chargers in supermarkets as it’s not like service station on motorways where your likely to be travelling long distance and the next service station is 20, 30, 40 miles up the road.

With most supermarkets being in more or less built up areas to serve a local community most shoppers would have only travelled a few miles anyway and well within the range of even a basic battery powered cars range including the return journey.

#92959 Reply

brydo

Yes Chris but your car still needs charging. I don’t see people with a home charger using these too often, it will be those relying on alternative charging facilities that will predominately use these.

Multi storey car parks should be full of chargers as people tend to stay for longer periods of time, ideal for a full charge.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: First 50 rapid chargers installed at Morrisons

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: