Faraday box for keyless fob

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144820 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Anyone with keyless recommend a good faraday box for my keyless fob ? Saw them on amazon but are the reviews made up ie non genuine ? Thankyou for your help

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #144825 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Mike, there’s a lot of hoo-ha about Faraday boxes and cages.  All that’s needed to block the signal from a key is something made of conductive metal with any gaps smaller than the signal’s wavelength.  So any fully enclosed metal box will do.  In fact wrapping the key in aluminium foil will do.  We have an old pewter box with a lift up lid on the hall table and our keys live in there.  Hope that helps.

#144826 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou so much wigwam for the reply I will wrap in foil could I also put in the microwave ? What’s worrying me is in 5 weeks I’m moving into a retirement bungalow and my car is just 7 feet from my kitchen where key will be ?  Will the door handle work within 7 feet ?

#144828 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Aldi and Lidl both sell tinned travel sweets, the empty tin will do. That said I think some newer key fobs have motion sensors in them and the fob has to detect motion either in your pocket or bag for it to work, when the fob is layed down it goes to sleep so a thief can’t pick up the signal from it as far as I know. I seem to remember reading Ford were doing this so it may be best to check if this is the case with the C-HR.

#144832 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou Marc I’ve got an Aldi just 4 mile away

#144833 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It will be fine in the microwave Mike, as long as it’s unplugged, but to avoid accidents, you should cut the plug off.

#144837 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Thankyou Marc I’ve got an Aldi just 4 mile away

I don’t have keyless on my Corolla but my daughter’s motability SEAT Arona does, on that it’s the usual grab the door handle to unlock and touch the outside of the handle to lock. But if you press lock on the fob and then touch the outside of the handle it will need the unlock pressed on the fob to unlock it making it a conventional locking system.

This may be an option on Toyota and a solution for when you are parked up at home.

PS The sweets are very nice, enjoy.

#144852 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’ve found a metal shoe box size tin in garage with key if I line this with foil will it be ok ?

#144855 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No need for foil, Mike. If the lid closes without gaps it’s fine as it is.  I prefer the sweet tin.

#144856 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

That’s great thankyou

#144861 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

No need for foil, Mike. If the lid closes without gaps it’s fine as it is. I prefer the sweet tin.

Yes and you also get sweets, what’s not to like👍

#144875 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I have been using this one for over a year and it works perfect for just a single key, I have tested it and nothing happens even with the box right on the car handle until you open the lid, nice quality as well.

#144882 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Thankyou vinalspin looks great but is it worth paying that much when foil in old tin does same job ?

#144884 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Does a key for an expensive new car deserve to be in an old tin, Mike?  Ours is treated with respect!

#144887 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Very nice wigwam I wonder how big the sweet tin is in Aldi ?

#144889 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You could get a tobacco tin from your local smokers’ requisites shop.  Bound to be big enough and you wouldn’t be troubled by the sweets…

#144892 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Spending £10-14k on a 3 year lease and then baulking at a few quid for a nice looking box that sits in view every day seems a bit tight to me.

#144896 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Have to agree vinalspin. Our little antique pewter box was only about a tenner on eBay.

#144900 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Have you got a link for eBay wigwam does look nice

#144901 Reply
    ajn

Key, pocket or fruit bowl as for the car getting nicked, don’t really think or worry about it tbh.

However I do know someone with a vw scirocco who got all sorts of gadgets, to much worry I think personally..

#144902 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Marc is this the Aldi sweet tin ?

#144903 Reply
    ajn

Have there been many members/forum visitors cars stolen then, or is this just a precaution. 😳🌻

#144904 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

No, it’s just Menorca Mike being entertaining.

#144905 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Have there been many members/forum visitors cars stolen then, or is this just a precaution. 😳🌻

I’m not sure if any been stolen ?

#144907 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

No, it’s just Menorca Mike being entertaining.

and your entertaining replies Wigwam 👌 the foil one earlier on was the best

#144908 Reply
    Marc
    Participant

Marc is this the Aldi sweet tin ?

Yes or similar, it’s been a while since I had some. If your keeping your keys in the kitchen, as you said, this will probably do, on top of the fridge freezer or even in a cupboard. If your keeping your keys in an hallway then maybe go for a proper box, they’re not expensive.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
Reply To: Faraday box for keyless fob
Your information: