Ev choice/decision

• Creator
    Topic
  • #148233 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Decided I may cancel my current ICE order, and bite the bullet in regards to ordering an EV due to rising fuel costs, more ULEZ zones being implemented etc.

I have discarded the Peugeot 2008, Vauxhall Mokka and the like due to quite short range in relation to the others available.

Currently narrowed down to Hyundai Kona, Kia Soul or VW id3. I know the Kona represents fantastic value for money but just looking for people’s experiences and opinions.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #153174 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Decisions. Decisions. We have extended our lease until March 22. At the end we intended to get an EV. The reason for this is we do a lot of miles. Although there are a few EV’s on the scheme, none as of yet fully meet our requirements. Ideally we would like something close to what we already have, bmwx1. Do we hold out until the end of the lease in the hope that similar cars come onto the scheme. Or do we make the move now. The Kona for price is excellent. But the boot is too small and rear seat space. The E niro is bigger but not on the scheme. If only there was an EV on the scheme the same as our BMW. If there was I expect the AP will be £4k +. Do we go for the Kona and live with it for £499 or wait and pay £4k.

Nobody has a crystal ball im afraid but i cannot ever see an EV the size of the X1 with long range appearing on the scheme anytime soon simply due to the price. Something along the lines of the Skoda Enyaq may appear but it would have to be in the lower spec which usually means lower range. 300 miles plus with a high finish will never appear on this scheme i dont think, not from so called premium brands anyway. The Koreans are your best bet for both range and tech spec and if i were signing up right now i would get the Kona as its a no brainer, even though i love my Kia Soul the AP would do it for me.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#153179 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Decisions. Decisions. We have extended our lease until March 22. At the end we intended to get an EV. The reason for this is we do a lot of miles. Although there are a few EV’s on the scheme, none as of yet fully meet our requirements. Ideally we would like something close to what we already have, bmwx1. Do we hold out until the end of the lease in the hope that similar cars come onto the scheme. Or do we make the move now. The Kona for price is excellent. But the boot is too small and rear seat space. The E niro is bigger but not on the scheme. If only there was an EV on the scheme the same as our BMW. If there was I expect the AP will be £4k +. Do we go for the Kona and live with it for £499 or wait and pay £4k.

I was expecting the kona to be a lot smaller inside going by the reviews, don’t get me wrong, it’s not massive but it’s not as toy sized as the reviews made out (again, we’re quite a short family). Range wise I think it will be a while until we see something on the scheme beating the Koreans, and in terms of equipment and price the Kona is hard to beat, but if you want something with the same sort of range and a little more space the Kia Soul and VW id3 are worth a look

#153181 Reply
    Popeye

I was in the exact same boat.  I think its the expected v high AP which put me off waiting, not to mention the probable waiting time if anything comes on more suitable than the kona ultimate. We thought it was a little smaller than we wanted but that we could live with it. We went to view it twice and done the deal on Friday. Both dealers said they are selling like hot cakes with the £499 AP and waiting lists are getting longer again depending on colour.
    Good luck on whatever you decide.

#153183 Reply
    Ian Price

Thanks for the reply. Do I go for it now. Kona at £499. Or wait until I have to decide in March 22.  In the hope that it is still on at £499. Although it has been said the price is going up next quarter. Or wait for the EQA or ID 4 which could appear next quarter. Looks like I will have to make a decision before next quarter. As you say I doubt we will see the likes of the BMW size and spec on the scheme as an EV. Or do I go with another ICE car. VW tiguan elegance. Which is close to the BMW.  ICE or smaller EV.

#153185 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Do I go for it now. Kona at £499. Or wait until I have to decide in March 22. In the hope that it is still on at £499. Although it has been said the price is going up next quarter. Or wait for the EQA or ID 4 which could appear next quarter. Looks like I will have to make a decision before next quarter. As you say I doubt we will see the likes of the BMW size and spec on the scheme as an EV. Or do I go with another ICE car. VW tiguan elegance. Which is close to the BMW. ICE or smaller EV.

You may also want to factor in fuel costs, both current and predictions for next year. That was a big part of the decision for me, because the prices only seem to be going in one direction.

#153187 Reply
    Popeye

As mentioned a few posts back, the kona definitely isn’t small inside, not as small as I was expecting on reviews. I’m 6ft and set the drivers seat to my usual position and then got in the back and had room to sit comfortably no problem.  3 adults would be a squeeze to be fair but 3 children should be fine
    The EQA didn’t get the best reviews and i would expect the id4 to be a very basic spec . The only other car I’d like to see on come on is the ionic5 but it’s a guessing game regarding AP and waiting times if it does come on at all. 3 years from now there should be a massive choice

#153188 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

As others have said, there are no crystal balls, but I would be very surprised to see anything coming along in the next 18 months to beat the Kona Ulitimate.

I’ve come out of a BMW 2 Series, and the Kona doesn’t have the same premium feel, but it’s far from bad, personally, it’s better quality than VW of late! But to make up for that, it has all the tech that in the others are extras, plus the AC and many other bits have physical buttons.  It’s alos one of the most economical EV’s out there but has the bonus of pretty serious performance as well as a realistic minimum range of 250 miles.  Yes, I wish it was a bit bigger, but the compromise for me isn’t that great.

The EQA if we ever see it will be horrendous AP, the ID.4 will be the small battery and basic, I doubt the Ford Mach E will be along anytime soon, the Skoda will be like the ID.4.  Others like the Nissan Arriya, Hyundai Ioniq5 and Kia EV6 are not going to be available on the scheme for 12 months at least as their order books are already either heavily oversubscribed or not even available to start ordering, then you have to factor in the current issues with semiconductors, The Kona is still being made as Hyundai were better organised and don’t have an issue with supply.

So in the end, if you want a new EV soon, the Kona is the obvious route or if you need the space and not the Range, the offerings from MG.  Otherwise, the other option is to hang on and hope, ordering a new ICE, is probably not going to see you in a new vehicle anytime soon anyway, but I would expect the Kona AP to move a long way in the wrong direction soon.

In the end, the choice is yours, I’m much happier with the Kona than I expected, it’s a far better car than I thought it would be, and I had reasonably high expectations of it to start with, really looking forward to seeing the reviews from all the people that have ordered it recently.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#153191 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

As others have said, there are no crystal balls, but I would be very surprised to see anything coming along in the next 18 months to beat the Kona Ulitimate. I’ve come out of a BMW 2 Series, and the Kona doesn’t have the same premium feel, but it’s far from bad, personally, it’s better quality than VW of late! But to make up for that, it has all the tech that in the others are extras, plus the AC and many other bits have physical buttons. It’s alos one of the most economical EV’s out there but has the bonus of pretty serious performance as well as a realistic minimum range of 250 miles. Yes, I wish it was a bit bigger, but the compromise for me isn’t that great. The EQA if we ever see it will be horrendous AP, the ID.4 will be the small battery and basic, I doubt the Ford Mach E will be along anytime soon, the Skoda will be like the ID.4. Others like the Nissan Arriya, Hyundai Ioniq5 and Kia EV6 are not going to be available on the scheme for 12 months at least as their order books are already either heavily oversubscribed or not even available to start ordering, then you have to factor in the current issues with semiconductors, The Kona is still being made as Hyundai were better organised and don’t have an issue with supply. So in the end, if you want a new EV soon, the Kona is the obvious route or if you need the space and not the Range, the offerings from MG. Otherwise, the other option is to hang on and hope, ordering a new ICE, is probably not going to see you in a new vehicle anytime soon anyway, but I would expect the Kona AP to move a long way in the wrong direction soon. In the end, the choice is yours, I’m much happier with the Kona than I expected, it’s a far better car than I thought it would be, and I had reasonably high expectations of it to start with, really looking forward to seeing the reviews from all the people that have ordered it recently.

</p>
    To back up the above, when I ordered mine the dealer did not state any figures but said he would be very surprised to not see a significant increase in AP next quarter,  especially the way orders are coming in thick and fast. I, personally, was of the opinion that if I didn’t order it now then there was almost 0 chance of ever seeing such a deal again, not for a very long time.

#153192 Reply
    Ian price

I think I really do need to checkout the EVs on the scheme and compare these. Making a short list of pros and cons. I did have a quick look at the Kia Soul but was unsure of its looks, I found the boot size was rather small.  Can anyone give me any advice these. Kona. ID3. Peugeot. Soul. Etc. My needs are range. Good tech spec. High driving position SUV like.

#153194 Reply
    Popeye

I was told the ultimate spec kona was rising to either £2995 or £3495 end of this quarter. No idea if true but seems to back up what everyone is expecting.
    I was at both dealers before 11.30am and one had sold 2 that morning and the other had sold 3 that morning.
    One showed me the Hyundai order screen and said last week options were in hundreds and some colours were in 4 figures of availability, now they are in double figures.
    They had actually ordered about 15-20 random colours themselves knowing they will sell before stocks run out.

#153195 Reply
    Ian price

Looks like a choice between kona or soul.

#153196 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I think I really do need to checkout the EVs on the scheme and compare these. Making a short list of pros and cons. I did have a quick look at the Kia Soul but was unsure of its looks, I found the boot size was rather small. Can anyone give me any advice these. Kona. ID3. Peugeot. Soul. Etc. My needs are range. Good tech spec. High driving position SUV like.

Don`t discount the Soul altogether, i know the shape divides opinion but it does have its uses. the boot is not as small as it looks and in its lowest position can hold surprising amounts. with the seats down it easily swallows a washing machine, it may be smaller than my Tiguan but in shape the practicality makes up for it in my view. The interior and build quality put the VW to shame really and the driving position also sits a little higher giving a more SUV feel. The 201 BHP makes you constantly smile as does the 0 to 60 in 7 secs, my advice is go test drive one as i did and i think you will be pleasantly surprised as i was.

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#153202 Reply
    Richard

My advice, don’t look at reviews etc when it comes to boot size actually go look at each one. The Renault Zoe has a good size boot but if you go see the car it’s very small esp in the rear.

The Kona’s boot is a bit disappointing bit like a halfway house between the Zoe & the MG overall but much more practical sized car.

You know your requirements ultimately so definitely make a shortlist, figure out your min range keep a diary of miles etc you might be surprised at your avg journey lengths. (After a week I’ve done 164 miles & my average speed is 16mph lol) & go see all the cars that fit because some certainly are deceptive in their dimensions & feel more practical in reality.

#153204 Reply
    John morris

The Kona ultimate is exceptional value for money but as others said its small and cramped in the back but for the right person it’s unbeatable. The VW is overpriced I think but larger than the Kona but the MG ZS probably ticks most boxes for most people. We are only a few weeks into our 3 years and looked at EVs this time around but unfortunately the MG wasn’t large enough for our 3 children. I am sure in the next few years we will see so many EVs at affordable APs. Let’s hope so anyway!

#154250 Reply
    Ian Price

Took a look at the kia soul, as the Kona was not suitable. In the end have decided to wait and see what comes on between now and March 2022. If there is nothing then the soul it will be.

#154251 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

I am scheduled to change cars early next year so Q4 will be the one I will be looking at and hopefully there will be a greater choice of electric vehicles.  Range is the biggest consideration for me as most of the electric cars are very well specified even at entry level. In literally a month we will have Q3 pricing and this should indicate the direction of travel motabiliy are taking. The soul is an interesting option. At present it’s the 1st edition so it is probable we shall see a change in trim.

#154254 Reply
    Ian price

I can order at anytime having extended my lease. March 2022 is when it has to go back. Just waiting to see what cars come on between now and then. Don’t really want to bite the bullet now with the Kia Soul and regret it 6 months down the road, when i could have waited and had more to choose from.

#154272 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Sensible approach.  I am tied in for a little longer yet. Sometimes it can be a good thing and sometimes not. July should give a good indication and hopefully we might see more choice. The AP’s seem more reasonable now and with the Government and Motability keen to promote greener cars perhaps we shall see this trend continue.

#154367 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Larger EVs are sorely needed on the scheme, hopefully we’ll see some movement on that with the VW ID4, Skoda Enyaq, & The Kia Niro.

If the larger EVs don’t start appearing soon then complain to Motability.

#154370 Reply
    Popeye

I have a feeling it will be approx 18 -24 months before it really starts to get interesting regarding ev,s on the scheme

I’m sure there will be bits and pieces added here and there.
    so far I’m glad I took the kona ultimate offer and doubt I will ever go back to an ice car for day to day driving. They are just so relaxing and easy to drive. There is very little of anything missing from the spec list and surprisingly comfortable seats I’m finding. For those who need something bigger I hope something does arrive soon which can match the kona on spec, range etc.

#154380 Reply
    Ian Price

Let’s hope it happens before March 2022, when my lease extension ends.

#154440 Reply
    Jtb

I now have the id3 and it’s perfect for my family.My son is 6’3 and he has plenty of room in the back.Range is well over 200 miles so far.Only niggle in getting the car has been the long wait for the home charger install.

#154461 Reply
    Mike Cooper

I see the bp pulse prices are going up from 10th June.

rapid charging will be 23p per kWh.A very nasty jump of over 50% from the present 15p.

150 kw charging stays the same rate at 27p per kWh though for now.

These are the pricing for subscription members.

#154462 Reply
    Mike Cooper

Takes the cost of charging a kona ultimate from £5.76 to £8.83 for a 20% – 80% charge on a rapid charger.Not good news.

#154466 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

This is probably because people like me have been finding it cheaper to charge up on a Polar/Pulse rapid than using Octopus Agile for a while now, so filling up on the way home had become the norm.

I suppose I’ll switch to Octopus Go or Go Faster as Agile looks like being pricey for the next couple of years. Note that even Octopus Go prices have recently increased significantly for the standard rate kWhs but the 5p kWh over the 4 hours in the middle of the night remain the same.

Bjorn Nyland always makes the point that we should Always Be Charging (ABC), so, if you stop at a supermarket you should plug into the free 7kW post, it offsets the whole cost of charging significantly even if it’s just 7kWh of free juice per week.

As for BP Pulse costs, it’s a shame but not unexpected, and the new prices mean that a rapid charge at a PodPoint at a Lidl for instance, would be comparable.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Ev choice/decision
Your information: