Ev choice/decision

• Creator
    Topic
  • #148233 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Decided I may cancel my current ICE order, and bite the bullet in regards to ordering an EV due to rising fuel costs, more ULEZ zones being implemented etc.

I have discarded the Peugeot 2008, Vauxhall Mokka and the like due to quite short range in relation to the others available.

Currently narrowed down to Hyundai Kona, Kia Soul or VW id3. I know the Kona represents fantastic value for money but just looking for people’s experiences and opinions.

Viewing 10 replies - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154467 Reply
    Mike Cooper

Good points there ghj.I have a fair number of pod point rapids near me so it does actually open up more avenues for me to use as the prices are now the same or just 2p dearer at the germ supermarkets.Still a bit of a kick in the nads for those unable to have a home charging point but certainly not a game changer if,like me,you are in that situation.

#154485 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I signed up for the ChargeMyHyundai card but never used it, but will be now, my local charger is Ionity and only 4 miles from home, but at 69p kW is more expensive than diesel!  Just signed to the offer on the Hyundai card, £11 a month but only 25p kW, still a big increase, but far cheaper than the old diesel.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#154495 Reply
    Mike Cooper

I wonder if this will force motability into a rethink about how they try to level the playing field as it were (giving you about £280 over the whole lease as you don’t get the free home charging point) now you can go to pod point and get your charge for 23/25p per kWh the free subscription for bhp pulse doesn’t save you much,if anything.Maybe it would be feasible to give you the equivalent cost of the card over the 3 year lease on a card that you can use monthly,or even chuck that amount on a card and use it immediately until it’s used up? I don’t suppose with the size and influence Motability have they would pay anything like the full £7.85 per month anyway.Just thinking out loud really,don’t even know what Motability pay on average for a home charger installation.

#154497 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Not sure to be honest it’s really worth worrying about.  Yes, you are at a disadvantage with an EV if you can’t have a home charger, but in the end it’s still much cheaper.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take any savings I can get, but the best savings is just topping up where you can on free juice.

When deciding to go electric, I did the pricing based on the mpg I was getting in the BMW, around 51mpg and that worked out around 12p a mile.  On that, as long as I am paying less than 55p kW, it’s cheaper than diesel, and that was based on £1.26 a liter.

First 2 months I’ve done 5.5k miles, at just over 2p a mile and saved just under £540 compared to the BMW, this works out at 285mpg! Sadly this will now increase using Ionity and the new BP prices, but I still think it’s going to be around 5p a mile, still less than 1/2 the price of diesel.

Summer efficiency really kicking in for the Kona now, charged to 100% today, GOM was saying 361 mile range!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#154517 Reply
    Mike Cooper

Yes Intranicity,absolutely not something to stress about,in fact I wasn’t even aware of the bp pulse free subscription until you said about it on here! I estimate this will cost me about £1.50 per week extra so about a greggs sausage roll in reality.

#154628 Reply
    Richard

I wouldn’t say an increase of roughly 1.8p/kwh on Go Faster was really significant unless you were on an old version of the scheme still 15.96p/kwh is still very reasonable I was paying more than that on their 2 year fixed deal I just came out of & now I get the benefit of the 5 hours at 5.5p too.

Currently I’m using the granny charger and a tp link kp115 smart plug with power monitor g to ensure car charges during cheap time & I can see what’s gone in.

Those new Hypervolt home chargers look really cool, each one has a raspberry pi as a controller/analyser built into it bet you can do some very cool stuff with that

#155361 Reply
    Just2Fish

I test drove the Kona Ultimate yesterday and loved it, and at £499 just had to sign up. I’d planned to go for a grey but after a couple of hours in the showroom looking at the Surfy blue alongside a grey I changed my mind and went with Surfy. Maybe I was swayed by it being a hot day and thinking how it would look up against our palm and olive trees in the front if our place, anyway it’ll be fun and I look forward to charging it overnight, or trickle charging from our solar panels. Stock exchange from another dealer, maybe I’ll have it by the end of the month (my dealer wants it in his quarterly figures so is motivated). For me it’s life changing, plus and minus, from running a bug diesel.

#155363 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I test drove the Kona Ultimate yesterday and loved it, and at £499 just had to sign up. I’d planned to go for a grey but after a couple of hours in the showroom looking at the Surfy blue alongside a grey I changed my mind and went with Surfy. Maybe I was swayed by it being a hot day and thinking how it would look up against our palm and olive trees in the front if our place, anyway it’ll be fun and I look forward to charging it overnight, or trickle charging from our solar panels. Stock exchange from another dealer, maybe I’ll have it by the end of the month (my dealer wants it in his quarterly figures so is motivated). For me it’s life changing, plus and minus, from running a bug diesel.

Welcome to the world of EV motoring, your gonna love it. All the money you will save and not to mention the fun your gonna have driving it. Just watch your speed lol and no racing from the traffic lights…..well not too often anyway….Enjoy

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#155373 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

Picked up my white 64kwh kona ultimate yesterday, loving it so far. Quiet, quick and comfy, lot of toys or tech, depending how you look at it 😆. Very happy with the decision to go EV

#155471 Reply
    bfoandc

Well, I too ordered an EV yesterday and it was also the Kona Ultimate. Hopefully, we should have it in July and will be so relieved to say goodbye to our current vehicle.

Viewing 10 replies - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Ev choice/decision
Your information: