Do You Remember!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #136647 Reply
    JS

so someone mentioned Electric Milk Floats and working on one. reminded me of the Corona soft drinks with 5p back on the returned bottles. what do you remember that brings a smile .

https://images.app.goo.gl/dfR3f44iX25x1DWAA

Cherryade was the best.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136648 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

There was a clip on tv the other day on the 70’s milkfloat , so I looked them up on eBay …some fetching over 20k now !!

For me as a kid in the 70’s I helped do a milk round in my area, vehicle was a 3 wheel electric float ..Unigate was the company …50p a day (summer holidays) and all the milk and biscuits I could eat 😉😉

#136651 Reply
    Carl

I worked on the milk float for about three years every sunday morning – always picked up at silly o’clock, me and my cousin (who was always late) had great fun as I recall during these times.

The milk float was a three wheeler long base model with grab handles and foot rests at the back, so on shorter journeys, youd just hand on and dangle out the back, longer runs between streets youd be up front.

Doug the milkman would always chapter and verse the lyrics of ‘who killed cock Robin’ , I said the sparrow with my bow and arrow!! 🙂  do any of you remember the rest??  I was brain washed for 3 years so remember the whole verses.

The corona glass bottles of pop with their 5p return value was almost as popular as the milk on sundays!!   He paid us some cash 2 bottles of milk and a bottle of pop (my favourite being dandelion and burdock).

We need more reusable services like that and stop polluting this earth with plastics!!

#136662 Reply
    joss

Back in the day,late 60’s I was quite the enterprising you lad. On a Saturday I worked on the Market on  poultry stall. Pay was 7/6d plus all the duck eggs I wanted and all the Game birds I wanted. Not only that, but everything I learned like handling, cash and serving folk.

Also helped our milk man in the week before school.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#136672 Reply
    Carl

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I think these early working experiences as children were character building and put a value on hard work and respecting money.    It’s such a chame to the snowflake society we have become that instead children are encouraged to sit in the house, eat junk food and play on their computers all day instead.</p>

#136692 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Milkfloats of the electric variety were great for getting a tow on your roller skates (yes, young people, these devices did actually exist in the dim and distant geological past). Watch the float to see where driver had to haul some distance between drops, grab the rear of float, hang on like grim death and try not to get caught by milkie.

Also grew up in street market, Joss (East Lane off Old Kent Road). Cleaning up street after closure of market for the day was done by fantastic LCC water tankers with two big sprayers at front. Dodging in and out of these (lorry went very slowly) was great game; explaining to mum why you were soaked to skin not so great!

#136727 Reply
    martinod

joss 7/6d i take it that is old money i dont remember old money dont know when it changed  im 54 if you dont mind me asking what age are you then joss

#136729 Reply
    martinod

the juice delivery when i was growing up was bon accord  cant remember what it looked just remember they did flavours you could only get there

#136732 Reply
    Georgie

When I was a baby the milk float was pulled by a huge grey horse called Charlie.  When Charlie retired my Aunty Maureen bought him and kept him as a stable companion for her daughter Frankie’s evil-tempered show jumper Spade (who spat at and tried to bite everyone but Frankie).  My mum has a photo somewhere of Charlie peering under the hood of my pram to say hello.  We were all told to stay away from Spade, but Charlie was a gentle giant.  My older sister even sat on his back a few times.

#136734 Reply
    joss

@martinod I am 64 in March

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#136764 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Hardings Baker’s in Birmingham had a van pulled by a horse called Marmaduke when I was at infants school. Got a lift to school more than once – the horse knew which houses to stop at along the way.

I bought my first new car in old money a couple weeks before the changeover in February 1971.  I still have the receipt somewhere…

#136766 Reply
    JS

seems everyone remembers the Horse but it was Ernie that was the Fastest Milkman in the West.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Do You Remember!
Your information: