Did anyone get polystyrene beads as cavity wall insulation?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

I have an uninsulated area of wall in a bedroom. The outside is clad with tiles and there is a space between the tiles and the inner skin of block. I can remove the timber surround on the inside of the window and I presume this will give me access to the void. I was considering filling the gap with polystyrene beads but I believe the beads are normally coated with glue, I suppose this is to stop the beads from slumping but not sure if its essential.

Any info @kezo will, as usual, be appreciated.👍

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      joss

@Brydo How do you know it’s uninsulated? Has the rest of your house been cavity wall insulated ?

Joss
        Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Brydo
        Participant

There are no holes in the tiles Joss. The rest of the original house has cavity wall insulation but several houses in the area have removed the tiles and there was nothing behind them except the timber frame holding the tiles on.

If the timber frame allows I could put loft insulation in between but I think the beads would insulate the entire area whereas the other insulation wouldn’t.

kezo
          Participant

On the older houses I have worked on overtime, some have timber frame for the laths to fix to but unfortunately are not insulated, leaving a 100 150mm void, between the tmber frame and inter plasterboard. Others have the itchy 50mm insulation in the timber frame.

I wouldn’t recommend unglued polystyrene beads because not only will they slump over time as they settle, you run the risk of creatng cold spots if the beads don’t settle evenly or clump in some spots when you are tipping them in.

By far the best way is to tacle the job from outside by removing the tiles/felt and filling the void (leaving a 2″ airgap on the inner part) with sheets of PIR insulation and replacing the tiles with composite shiplap cladding. You also have the option of adding battens on the existing timber frame to accomondate thicker insulation sheet’s 🙂

kezo
            Participant

This shows what I’m getting at 🙂

Brydo
              Participant

That looks similar to my situation although mine is no where near as long as that. I agree that removing the tiles is the best way to go but i really like my tiles and I’m sure they would break if i started to remove them. As i said above i can access the void by removing the internal sill but until i do that i don’t know which insulation would work/be the best.

Was thinking of buying polystyrene beads and mixing with PVA glue in a large bucket and pouring it in, should take more than about 30/40 bucketfuls but just wasn’t sure how successful this would be. It certainly seems to be the cheapest option but eliminating a cold bedroom wall is the aim not saving money, can’t believe i just said that 😂.

The other option would be expanding foam, looking online there are semi-professional guns and canisters that are available for DIYers. This maybe a better option although much more expensive.

kezo
                Participant

You would need a small bit of glue just enough to coat the beads when mixed in a bucket. Use a stick to ensure th beads are spread out equally, as each bach is put in, hopefully illiminating any cold spots! When its dry it forms like a polystyrene slab.

If yournot use to expanding foam, it can make a right mess as it expand about 5x its size. The other thing is you would need to ensure the foam is open cell, as closed cell can cause issues.

DumfriesDik
                  Participant

My beads are stuck together. By the looks of remnants in the garden. Work was done earlier this year.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Phaedra
                    Participant

Had cavity wall insulation injected last year, I have to say I’ve not found any diffence to my heating costs or the temperature of the house.

I have a front entrance area which has always been freezing even with a c/h radiator in it, it still is now, the insulation has made no difference at all.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.