Dealership not registering private plate

• Creator
    Topic
    jOhn
    Participant

Hi,

Has anyone come across this before:

My sister is picking up her Volvo in Edinburgh on Tuesday.  The dealership called to say they would not register the private plate and that she had to do it herself when she collected the car.  I’ve never come across this before.

I called corporate Volvo Customer Relations and they said if it had been a private sale they could have done it but not a Motability car.   Audi did it no problem for her last car, and Volvo for her previous car.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

That’s not right. Volvo are doing mine. I take my documents for the registration to my dealer just before the car gets delivered. I pay any fees of course.
        I’ve had my own plates made as they’re short ones. They have to get plates made when registering the car so I don’t see the issue.

If all else fails with your dealer you can do it on your online account with Motability after you collect the car.

I like sitting outside RAF bases all day pretending to be a photogramapher

Participant

Yes,  my dealer hinted at similar when I placed my XC40 order back in December too.

When I signed up for Mercedes CLA this week the salesman wasn’t too sure but that was because he was new to the job and1st day of doing Motability. I phoned Motability in front of him to check and they said no problem at all and also (I didn’t know this) that so long as you have a plate on a retention certificate you no longer have to ask Motability whether you are allowed to do this as they’ve removed that age old restriction from the scheme. Any customer can now put any plate they want on their car so long as it’s not rude. 😁😜 As above, easy to do yourself but yet another thumbs down to Volvo for playing silly beggars.

My Mercedes Salesman checked with his manager and he confirmed no problem for Mercedes to register a new Motability car on a private plate. 👍

Elliot
          Participant

Motability will sort this for you. Dealerships will offer as little help as possible to Motability customers.

jOhn
            Participant

Thanks for the replies.  @elliot, I think you are right.  @anarchy21, interested to know what dealership you’re dealing with if possible.  Would like to use it against them on Tuesday.

Participant

When getting my cars the garage has always done this for me and put a plate on the car I was taking back, Toyota, York, even sent me a pic of the old car with the plate on, so I knew it had a plate before it went back, excellent service.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

Participant

Thanks for the replies. @elliot, I think you are right. @anarchy21, interested to know what dealership you’re dealing with if possible. Would like to use it against them on Tuesday.

Stoneacre Volvo Grimsby

I like sitting outside RAF bases all day pretending to be a photogramapher

Ioniq
                  Participant

Some dealerships will add your plate and some will not, it all depends on each garage.

It doesnt matter anyway, as soon as you get your vehicle Motability will change if asked. You just got to have your number plates ready and inform DLM.

Participant

Just let them register your car so you get plates added, then transfer to your private plate through your Motability account online, its that simple. If you do it this way then you will have plates to put back on when you place it back onto retention if you decide to put it one another vehicle or leave the scheme. I do it like this every year and it takes 10 min plus 10 min to swap the plates over on the drive.

----------------------------
                      Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate
                      Scale modeller in my spare time

swwchris
                      Participant

Just let them register your car so you get plates added, then transfer to your private plate through your Motability account online, its that simple. If you do it this way then you will have plates to put back on when you place it back onto retention if you decide to put it one another vehicle or leave the scheme. I do it like this every year and it takes 10 min plus 10 min to swap the plates over on the drive.

Definitely best plan and its so very easy to do. I guess the small challenge for some will be the act of actually changing the plates on the car, but its a 5 min job if the dealership were to do it (or local garage)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.