council/social housing gobsmacked allocated in a month

• Creator
    Topic
  • #126696 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i have been searching for a bungalow with a wetroom with easy access etc as my back is getting worse and worse. i assumed i would be in for a long wait if i got one at all as i am on my own and its not as if i am currently in a high rise or something.

i only need 1 bedroom and a wetroom rather than a bath and need the room as i aint small and most shower cubicles are tiny.

i started making bids etc 3 weeks ago and friday i got a call to go and look at a bungalow not far away, now i assumed i would be one of many veiwing and that i would be well down the list. but at the end of the tour and the assesment by the disabilities lady they said i could have it. and bonus the rent is £50 a month less than i am paying now and its all mains so no more gas bottles so i will save on heating.

you could have knocked me over with a feather, so wednesday sign lease and look to sort out carpets and removals that should be fun with covid.

• This topic was modified 6 days, 3 hours ago by wmcforum. Reason: removed a certain phrase
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #126704 Reply
    Graeme

Good luck with the move mitch!

I live in a ground floor 1 bed sheltered flat in Surrey that has a large wet room and i’d also like to move but unlike you i’ve done nothing yet to try and find somewhere else.

#126712 Reply
    Georgie

That;s great news, Mitch!  My older brother’s in sheltered housing (1 bedroom bungalow) and had to wait about 8 months to get somewhere within reasonable distance of the rest of the family – he’s about 15 miles/30 minute drive from our mum and our older sister.  But as we know, some people have to wait years.

#126713 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

👍 @Mitch

#126714 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

even more bonkers this afternoon the council rang to see if i wanted to look at a newly renovated ground floor flat with a wetroom. so thats 2 different social housing providers in a week offering veiwings.

i wonder if they arent getting any enquiries because of covid. i reckon i must have just struck it lucky. most everything i bid on i came up as between applicant 15-20 or higher. the newly renovated flat only had 3 bids.

maybe its the area.

#126730 Reply
    Georgie

Spoilt for choice?  Makes a nice change. 🙂

#126764 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

who would have thunk it, carpet fitters around here are swamped, ive spent all day trying to even get quotes and they are all saying it would be a month before they can fit owt.

at least someones busy lol

#126768 Reply
    File28

Congratulations on your new bungalow hope all goes smoothly with the move

#126895 Reply
    Confusicated
    Participant

Two things:

Congratulations! Very well done. It took us almost a year to be offered a bungalow with a wet room – my wife is a wheelchair user and I am also disabled.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 3 hours ago by wmcforum. Reason: removed all reference to a certain phrase on this and original post

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale (2019-old shape) 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

#127055 Reply
    Martinod

Mitch You are using GAS BOTTLES in a house not gas piped in from company that’s strange

#127056 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

no i am currently in a park home and its an old site and the homes are a mixture of lpg, oil and mains depending on their age. i am in an older one at the moment so its lpg cylinders not a problem until it runs out at 4 in the morning and its blowing a hooley. i  am moving to what used to be termed a council house, well bungalow. now an arms length social housing provider.

#127113 Reply
    Martinod

Ok Mitch that why gas bottles then ,, good luck in your new home

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: council/social housing gobsmacked allocated in a month
Your information: