Coronavirus

• This topic has 1,415 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #108156 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

There is a lot of knowledge amongst us, I exclude myself.

The COVID 19 is dominating the news:

How worried should we be?

Will this be Spanish flu proportions or just another contained outbreak as SARS and MERS were?

Oh – and when will we start to see ‘Just in time’ manufacturing suffer?

Viewing 25 replies - 1,301 through 1,325 (of 1,415 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #143153 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

WW. It’s not even Swiss, just calls itself that to make people think it’s neutral or something close to impartial.  It’s like someone running into a room shouting ‘fire’ and getting a kick out of everyone’s panic. I’m genuinely surprised that you will continue to defend it.

#143154 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Where am I defending it? I posted an article from their website.  The article makes interesting reading and uses verifiable sources of evidence supporting the view that masks do not prevent the spread of Covid.

I have yet to hear anyone here challenge the evidence, just attacking the website that published it and me for posting it.

Readers will draw their own conclusions.

#143156 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Where am I defending it? I posted an article from their website. The article makes interesting reading and uses verifiable sources of evidence supporting the view that masks do not prevent the spread of Covid. I have yet to hear anyone here challenge the evidence, just attacking the website that published it and me for posting it. Readers will draw their own conclusions.

Totally agree with WMC and Daf on this, it’s from a dodgy source to be polite, and as to their evidence to back their claims, one of them, In the US, a car driver wearing an N95 (FFP2) mask fainted and crashed into a pole just made me think of desperation to try and justify a very weak case. Thank god the NHS don’t seem to have been having issues with CO2 poisoning, the gas actually makes you breath!

Still, some people will happily believe anything if it fits their agenda.  Personally, I dislike face masks, but I wear them without issue and think if nothing else, it helps to remind people of their social responsibility and I have no doubt, even if minimal, it does help reduce the spread of Virus’s

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Intranicity.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#143159 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

Please leave Wigwam alone we are entitled to debate about things and like the many virologists and doctors that are not happy about an experimental vaccine that came from a chimpanzee that had the cold virus oxford vaccine that is and that was injected into ferrets and when released all died it is a bit worrying that all dissenters and not just members of the public skilled medics have been ridiculed even losing there jobs and whistle blowers who do we trust the gov i do not for one.

#143160 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Please leave Wigwam alone we are entitled to debate about things

Not going to leave anyone alone sorry, but also not going to pick on anyone either, this is a debate, and all views are valid, but also subject to scrutiny, in the end, people will believe what they want, but personally, there has to be some censorship on comments that are dangerous (Not saying the=at his were), just as others, I believe the source material is of dubious origin!

Previous Motability Cars

#143162 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

More about the dangers of wearing facemasks

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/gomer/87806

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Intranicity.

Previous Motability Cars

#143164 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

These experts from Oxford University must be source material of dubious origin Intranicity as they don’t seem to agree with your beliefs.

Masking lack of evidence with politics

#143166 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Well at least that article has some substance, even if the conclusions don’t seem to reflect your previous link, in fact, I found Norway’s views interesting and probably a backing the reason why wearing masks when population densities are high and so are infections

Many countries have gone onto mandate masks for the public in various settings. Several others  – Denmark, and Norway – generally do not.  Norway’s Institute for Public Health reported that if masks did work then any difference in infection rates would be small when infection rates are low: assuming 20% asymptomatics and a risk reduction of 40% for wearing masks, 200 000 people would need to wear one to prevent one new infection per week.

Previous Motability Cars

#143167 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes, I agree the Norwegian study is interesting. Can I point out that this Oxford article is from the dodgy source you complain of?  I find its best to read stuff before rubbishing it just because you don’t like where it came from.

#143168 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I chuckled at the last sentence:

‘This abandonment of the scientific modus operandi and lack of foresight has left the field wide open for the play of opinions, radical views and political influence. ‘

#143169 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant
    #143171 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Yes, I agree the Norwegian study is interesting. Can I point out that this Oxford article is from the dodgy source you complain of? I find its best to read stuff before rubbishing it just because you don’t like where it came from.

Yes and I read a lovely story from the washington post directed from the same piece, it had nothing to do with science at all.  WW did you read the piece? The title is not reflective of what is written. The argument is around cloth masks v surgical masks or even N95 masks. We are becoming confused here, no one is saying in any of the stories that Masks don’t work and we should not be wearing them.  Is that what you are trying to say/imply?

#143172 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For myself,wmc, I’m not saying anything. I am just posting information which contradicts the orthodoxy, because I think it needs to be heard.

#143176 Reply
    ajn

Anyone here not having the vaccine, I know of one person point blank said NO and will be handing the invite back…

Anyone here handed back their invite..

#143177 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Is there something symbolic about handing their invite back?

MrsW was invited and I took her for her jab last week. She decided to have it although she already had Covid infection last March. She is vulnerable due to medical conditions.

I have not had the jab despite being invited some weeks ago.  While there with her, I discussed it with our GP.  I am fit and healthy with a good immune system. I very rarely get colds, and have had flu twice in my life.  I’m quite happy that if I get Covid (and I’ve already been around four people who have had it including daughter and granddaughter) I can deal with it.

As there’s no guarantee the jab will prevent me getting Covid I see no point in having it.  My GP did not argue with my reasoning.

#143179 Reply
    Kevin

Very selfish attitude looks your your wife has to live in danger if you catch it and pass it on to her in her condition,if anything happened to her can you live with that ? My wife and i have both had it for the safety of each other, better chance of recovery,better chance of not catching or not as bad,doctor is not allowed to argue with you,more than his job is worth

#143180 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Personally I feel that we should have the vaccine even if it is for the benefit of those around us. People who have not been vaccinated are more likely to transmit to others who may be more vulnerable than ourselves. If we all took the ‘I.m alright Jack ‘ attitude this pandemic would drag on forever. It doesn’t hurt, it’s free so why not? No really, why not?

#143181 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Kevin, you are welcome to your view and you should make decisions about your life.   You speak as if people are dropping dead in the streets. I don’t think such comments are helpful.  Ajn asked a question and I answered it.

#143182 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

RichardW, because in my view it’s an unnecessary medical intervention.  I live in Dorset, the infection rate last week was 0.033 percent, the death rate was zero.

#143184 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For anyone else who wants to criticise my decision, I’m not going to criticise yours, whatever it is.  If some asked me if they should have the jab, I would say “don’t ask me” so please don’t tell me what I should do.

#143185 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

My GP did not argue with my reasoning.

Your GP probably realises, like we do, there is little point. Best use of time is spent healing the sick.

#143186 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Anyone here handed back their invite..

I’m not sure how one would actually go about this level of symbolism.  I was contacted by phone, if you do receive a letter do you then not have to phone the contact centre to make an appointment?

#143187 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Personally I feel that we should have the vaccine even if it is for the benefit of those around us. People who have not been vaccinated are more likely to transmit to others who may be more vulnerable than ourselves. If we all took the ‘I.m alright Jack ‘ attitude this pandemic would drag on forever. It doesn’t hurt, it’s free so why not? No really, why not?

Nail on the head. I wear a mask in the hope it will protect others, I was vaccinated for the very same reason.

#143188 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It really isn’t helpful people making comments based on presumptions.  I gave an honest and straightforward answer to ajn’s question. I never asked for opinions.  I could go into plenty more detail about the conversations I’ve had with MrsW and my daughter and with my GP who is a family friend, but obviously I won’t.  Just leave it please.

#143189 Reply
    Daf

What you should do is stop being an advocate for conspiracy theorists. There is no empirical evidence that masks don’t work. None at all. On the other hand there is plenty of empirical evidence to show that they do work.

You sound more like Trump every day, and just in case you are in any doubt that’s not a compliment. People reading your posts like Daveblue are being influenced to doubt the efficacy not just of masks but vaccinations as well.

I wouldn’t want that on my conscience but it obviously doesn’t matter to you.

Viewing 25 replies - 1,301 through 1,325 (of 1,415 total)
Reply To: Coronavirus
Your information: