Change of mind based on new list

• Creator
    Topic
    StephJ147
    Participant

Hi there,

I had previously ordered a Volvo xc40 (November 2021) but it was cancelled about a week later when it was pulled off the scheme. So I extended my lease and waited to see if anything else suitable came up. Ended up ordering another Kia Sportage (same as what I already have) as my five year lease extension ends in March. This is due in at the dealer next week. However I have now seen that not only is my car model about £700 cheaper on new list price, but the Volvo is also back on. What are my options here? Husband thinks I should cancel and order car I want (but that may not arrive before my lease ends in March), but I would feel bad doing that, as much as I would like to! Is there anything I can do on the price of my Kia I am picking up next week given that I’m paying twice what someone ordering it today would be paying?!

many thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      72 dudes
      Participant

In theory you can change your mind right up until the point at which you enter your PIN on the day of collection.

Up until this point you have not entered into any contract.

However, you should be able to contact your Kia dealer and ask him to cancel and reorder on the Motability system, so you benefit from the reduced Advanced Payment. This is a simple admin process which takes a few minutes and would not affect the delivery date of your Sportage.

Ideally this should have been done as soon as the new prices were announced. The dealership is not obliged to honour the lower price, but many do, some without being asked. Pop in or phone him to see how the land lies

There’s another thread about exactly this subject further down ?

As to the XC40, well, again, you are entitled to cancel the Kia and order the Volvo. Not sure of the lead time but it could be 3 or 4 months unless there’s a stock one around. Motability would extend the lease beyond the 5 years until it was ready.

If the Kia dealer doesn’t play ball I’d probably cancel and go for the Volvo. I’m a little biased as we’ve had one for almost 4 years!

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
        2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
        2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Participant

Nothing new here but just to reiterate, might give you a little more confidence. Everything above is correct.

You are absolutely 100% allowed to cancel an existing order at any time, for any reason up until you enter your PIN on collection. Seriously, you can cancel because you wake up with an itchy nose and saw a wierd looking cat if you want to.

As for your lease ending, it doesn’t matter when your current lease extension ends – if you have a new car on order, your current vehicle stays with you until the new one is ready to collect, so if the Volvo is what you want and the wait time is something you’re happy to deal with, cancel the Kia, order the Volvo and sit back and wait.

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Ioniq
          Participant

Better contact Motability to see where you stand.

The problem is you are at the end of a 5 year lease and could be problematic.

Someone else was in a similar situation a couple of moths ago, I dont know if it was resolved.

kezo
            Participant

Hi there, I had previously ordered a Volvo xc40 (November 2021) but it was cancelled about a week later when it was pulled off the scheme. So I extended my lease and waited to see if anything else suitable came up. Ended up ordering another Kia Sportage (same as what I already have) as my five year lease extension ends in March. This is due in at the dealer next week. However I have now seen that not only is my car model about £700 cheaper on new list price, but the Volvo is also back on. What are my options here? Husband thinks I should cancel and order car I want (but that may not arrive before my lease ends in March), but I would feel bad doing that, as much as I would like to! Is there anything I can do on the price of my Kia I am picking up next week given that I’m paying twice what someone ordering it today would be paying?! many thanks!

If you cancel the Sportage before your 5yr lease ends and order the XC40, you lease on your current car will carry on untill you take delivery of the Volvo.

Alternatively you can speak with your Kia dealer and request they put the car through at the lower AP.

72 dudes
              Participant

Err, just what I said @Kezo ?

2024 - BMW i4 Grand Coupe eDrive 35 Sport
                2020 - Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription
                2017 - Audi Q3 TFSi Sport S-Tronic

Olpk
                Participant

I’ve ordered 3 cars this year.

The first was built and got to the port in the UK and was ready to be sent to the dealer for delivery to me , after a 12 week wait from initial order . I cancelled as an AP drop made a higher spec car come within my budget.

You don’t really need to consult with Motability about changing unless you’ve gone over the 5 year limit already. If not then just cancel and reorder with Volvo

I had my previous car 5 1/2 years. As long as you order within the 5 years they just extend until order is delivered.

MFillingham
                  Participant

A car that had been ordered should not have been  cancelled because it had come off scheme after the order was placed.  Seeing as this was the Volvo dealership, this raises a question or two.  If they delayed entering your order and got caught out by it coming off scheme, then they may delay entering on the system again, delaying your order further.  If you are going back to the same dealership, do they know what they’re doing, I’d be unsure of their ability to actually provide the car before your 5 years are up and, as said above, others have had this issue and we aren’t sure of whether it was resolved.

With this in mind, I’d be more inclined to go back to your KIA dealership and ask them to reorder at the lower AP and keep going with that, unless it’s a car you ‘settled’ for.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                    I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

StephJ147
                    Participant

Hi all, many thanks for your replies! I can confirm that I managed to cancel my Kia and order the Volvo! Made sense as over half the AP of my Kia and the car I really wanted (plus have been driving a Sportage for 8 years…ready for a change!). Of course have to wait until around May now but i don’t mind and Motability said no problems at all to keep my Kia until the new car arrives, as long as you’ve an order in they won’t take the car off you even when you hit the 5 year lease extension end.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.