Cars that grow and others that wane?

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by ajn.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #155244 Reply
    Bandit
    Participant

When the Volvo XC40 launched I initially thought “oooh lovely”but tbh I find that initial love has really waned now and when I see one I just find something about it slightly annoying (lol).

So come on, what are the cars that have grown or waned on you?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155252 Reply
    ajn

Ford Orion…

#155259 Reply
    John Newton

The Nissan Cube it’s brilliantly weird and you love it for that

#155263 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

MGB – designed 60 years ago and still has perfect looks.

#155274 Reply
    Jaro
    Participant

The only car I regret selling. Wish I still had it.
    Mazda 626 2 ltr GT Coupe.                                     

#155277 Reply
    Shaun
    Participant

always wanted one

#155287 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Wasn’t particularly taken by the TR7 when it came out but then spent an afternoon driving a droptop version. Good handling, quite prompt and could do 95mph with hood down comfortably for folks in it. Fun to drive in a point-and-go manner. Think the looks have “matured” over the years. Still quite cheap at the moment.

#155291 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Capri still looks good. Simple lines, like the MGB. No fashion of the moment swoops and scoops that date so many cars.

#155484 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Must agree about the MGB and add the E-type; both perfect classic shapes. Must also mention the Citroen DS from 1955. Looked like a spaceship when it was launched and still does so today. Compromised engineering and far from perfect as a family car but what a shape!

#155507 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

And I really must mention the Nissan 200SX. Available from 1989-93, I reckon it was the last reasonably priced, affordable sports car (excepting the much smaller Mazda MX5). At its introduction it was “just another cheap Nissan”. It was regarded as second-rate; with Mercs and BMWs and the like being the “most wanted”. It has classic, simple good looks, could be surprisingly prompt and handled beautifully. Tail-slides were easy and perfectly controllable. Thus its use as a drifting car and, sadly, present reputation as a Yobmobile. Nearest available today is the Audi TT for a large amount of dosh (and lacking the balanced proportions).

#155734 Reply
    ajn

Anyone know what this is..

#155751 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

It appears to be a Gilbern 1800GT. Made from all sorts of bits: A40 Farina, Morris Minor, MGB et al. Had a B-series engine and a 0-60 of 12 or 13 secs. (Pretty quick for mid to late 60s.) Very light – GRP body.

#155755 Reply
    ajn

Yes Tharg made in Wales I believe 🤣

#155757 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Yup. Made between 1959 and 1967. Neat looking thing; you can clearly see the A40 Farina influence. No bad thing – the Farina was a stylish and useful shape. Arguably the very first hatchback? Those with B-series engines must have been fairly swift, with all that lightness built into the body.

#155970 Reply
    ajn

Thanks for the extra info Tharg 👍

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Cars that grow and others that wane?
Your information: